Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Maketar Productions

Notices

Old March 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Default Fresh News - Masks

Hello to everyone,

Some news from Maketar Production - Masks

Prices per sheet:

Luftwaffe Assorted Crosses:
1:24 - £14 – $21 – €16
1:32 - £12 – $18 – €14
1:48 - £10 – $16 – €11
1:72 - £8 – $12 – €9

USAF Roundels:

YRAF Roundels:

M2/M3 Halftracks - Paint Masks:
1:35 - £12 – $18 – €14

Old March 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM

How freaking cool is that?
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Considering the difficulty of matching paint to decals, maybe it would be a win-win situation if you could include paint masks for the numbers for your F-2 decals? Alternatively, maybe Maketar would make masks from your vector data for the numbers for sale separately to those customers who would like to mask and paint the numbers? Just thinking out loud here...

Jens
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM

That's a REALLY good idea Jens....
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM

If we keep in mind that we can not do everything with just decals but as well we can not do everything with just masks, idea of combining the two is indeed great.
I am interested of course! Not sure of the best possible arrangement so this matter is open for further suggestions.
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM

The issue boils down to this. On the Mitsubishi F-2, the side numbers cross between the camouflage demarcation lines and the lighter blue surrounds the black number. To make a decal work, the light blue decal surround has to perfectly match the light blue paint on the model, otherwise it looks stupid. The problem is, while our decal printer can do the match, there isn't an "off the shelf" paint to use for the lighter blue....they are a mixture spelled out in the kit instructions. Consequently, its impossible to match the decal color to anything. A mask would solve that problem, to create a space in the darker blue in which to place the black number, and allows the modeler to use whatever lighter blue he wants.

Old March 18th, 2010, 03:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Harv

...Okay, so let me make sure I understand how this might work: Modeler Harv paints his F-2, as is 'normal' practice: ligher shade first (lt. blue) mixed to match instructions for awesome AB decal set, making sure to get a solid coat of the lt. blue where the side number would go (including well up into the area where the darker blue will be painted next). Once the paint cures, a mask for the numbers (oversized, to include blue outline) is applied on the lt. blue. Next, the dark blue is painted, with the appropriate 'spray-fade' demarcation going through the numbered area, right over the masks. Once the dk. blue paint is sufficiently dry, the masks are removed, leaving a lt. blue area for the numbers, hard-edged against the dk. blue, but fading into a 'perfect' blend/transition into the lt. blue. The model is finished/prepped for decals, and the appropriate black (?) numbers applied to the center of each oversized lt. blue area, resulting in a model that looks very close to the picture posted by Scott, above. Sounds outstanding. IsraDecals has done a similar waterslide decals + adhesive masks approach to some of their marking sets - haven't used them yet, but the concept certainly makes sense for certain applications, like this one...
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Yep,that was my thinking

Jens
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
...Okay, so let me make sure I understand how this might work: Modeler Harv paints his F-2, as is 'normal' practice: ligher shade first (lt. blue) mixed to match instructions for awesome AB decal set, making sure to get a solid coat of the lt. blue where the side number would go (including well up into the area where the darker blue will be painted next). Once the paint cures, a mask for the numbers (oversized, to include blue outline) is applied on the lt. blue. Next, the dark blue is painted, with the appropriate 'spray-fade' demarcation going through the numbered area, right over the masks. Once the dk. blue paint is sufficiently dry, the masks are removed, leaving a lt. blue area for the numbers, hard-edged against the dk. blue, but fading into a 'perfect' blend/transition into the lt. blue. The model is finished/prepped for decals, and the appropriate black (?) numbers applied to the center of each oversized lt. blue area, resulting in a model that looks very close to the picture posted by Scott, above. Sounds outstanding. IsraDecals has done a similar waterslide decals + adhesive masks approach to some of their marking sets - haven't used them yet, but the concept certainly makes sense for certain applications, like this one...
I think that's the only way to do it, unless I'm missing something.
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I don't like SPAM!!

It would also be good for schemes where markings are counter shaded across demarcation lines. Such as some of the Agressor / Adversary markings.

Like this, for example.

Cheers,
Motty.

Mate, this parrot wouldn't "voom" if you put four million VOLTS through it!!?
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:43 PM

As i said earlier, i am up for it! I would need to sort out the list of critical subjects that would require masks for this type of job in the first place. Further suggestions and thoughts more than welcome.
Cheers,
Alek
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:03 AM
ZOMG! I HAVE THE POWER!!

I reckon these masks could be perfect for the South Carolina NG grey AH-64A Apaches. That'd be cool as!
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Harv

...Yep, adversaries/aggressors with cammo schemes that have markings crossing through different colors would be good candidates; any paint schemes that use 'reverse' color patterns (e.g. mod eagle scheme, where stars/bars below the cockpit cross the light/dark grey demarcations, and flip-flop colors in the process). Those sorts of masks would be SO much better than trying to match both colors and pattern edges to printed decal markings.
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
...Okay, so let me make sure I understand how this might work: Modeler Harv paints his F-2, as is 'normal' practice: ligher shade first (lt. blue) mixed to match instructions for awesome AB decal set,...
You know.... if I could actually work on my own projects at a decent pace, I could so pick on you right now.