Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Aviation Photography Q&A

Notices

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Default I need a good 35mm scanner, cheap, ideas?

Gots lotsa negatives and lotsa pics, just need to scan em. TIA.

Jeff
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Don't know about 35mm, but the Lexmark scanner/printer/copier line is pretty good for the price
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Internet Hero

I've got a similar problem, but with it's a life's worth of family photos...

I'm thinking Target. They can scan negatives, and I figure it is cheep as far as my labor is concerned.

Interested to read what others post.

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance

Last edited by Sabre Freak; January 27th, 2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM

With thousands of pics, good ol Tarjet is out of the picture, so to speak...I'm gonna look tomorrow...

Jeff
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM

I would agree with the scanner/printer/copier route. Use a friend's or, if you have thousands, just upgrade your printer.

My HP has the capability to scan both negatives and slides and the function works quite well. I would hate to think of the cost to get thousands scanned at a commercial location.
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Run, don't walk away from those combo scanners. Buy a dedicated neg/slide scanner. I have three, yes, three HP Photo Smart scanners. Whenever I see one on Ebay I go after it. They do great work. I once purchased a combo scanner and it sucked at scannng negs and slides. If you are serious about scanning your slide/neg collection, then go with a drum scanner. Microtec has a very good selection but they are expensive. With my Artix 120tf, I can slide negs/slides and transparencies up to medium format at 4000dpi and 16 lines of resolution. Like I said, that route is expensive.
Cheers,
Dave

BTW, the HP Photo-Smart scanner will scan prints up to 5x7. You can find a used onee here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-PhotoSmart-Fi...A1%7C294%3A200

Last edited by David F. Brown; January 27th, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM

/\/\/\/\/\ Well, Dave's suggestion is definitely the cheapest option. Sounds like it works the best, too.
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I'd buy the one on Ebay I linked to but I don't have the cash right now. That would make four. I just love those old HP Photosmart scanners. They are the best. As for that price, they usually fetch $150.00 at auction. I paid $23.00 for my last one and it works great. I scan at least 1500 slides per month for my slide auctions and never had a problem. I use the Artix 120tf drum scanner for the professional work. Even the Microtek line of scanners is as good if not better that Nikon. The only problem with the Microtek line is the software is graduate level software whereas the HP is Undergrad software. But once you develop a scanning workflow, it all becomes second nature.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F. Brown View Post
Run, don't walk away from those combo scanners. Buy a dedicated neg/slide scanner. I have three, yes, three HP Photo Smart scanners. Whenever I see one on Ebay I go after it. They do great work. I once purchased a combo scanner and it sucked at scannng negs and slides. If you are serious about scanning your slide/neg collection, then go with a drum scanner. Microtec has a very good selection but they are expensive. With my Artix 120tf, I can slide negs/slides and transparencies up to medium format at 4000dpi and 16 lines of resolution. Like I said, that route is expensive.
Cheers,
Dave

What is the scanner number and nomenclature for the HP? Is it a ScanJet?
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Mike, its a HP Scanjet 5100, I keep draggin my feet on it too....I suck...

Jeff
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM

HP Photosmart. Don't think they are manufactured anymore.
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefropas View Post
Mike, its a HP Scanjet 5100, I keep draggin my feet on it too....I suck...

Jeff
Heh, thanks for the heads up. The 5100 seems reasonable. I found thousands of really neat old negatives/slides while helping my folks renovate their home recently and it motivated me to look into these again. Most of our family memories are on slides and 35mm negatives.

Dave, how poorly do these HP flatbed scanners compare to scanners like the 120TF as far as output? I want some nice scans of the slides/negatives, but I won't be needing professional quality necessarily. I don't have $1000 to spend on a high end scanner, so I was curious as to how bad the HP's do. Also, what is the output DPI of these HP models you like so much?

Mike
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBoilermaker View Post
Heh, thanks for the heads up. The 5100 seems reasonable. I found thousands of really neat old negatives/slides while helping my folks renovate their home recently and it motivated me to look into these again. Most of our family memories are on slides and 35mm negatives.

Dave, how poorly do these HP flatbed scanners compare to scanners like the 120TF as far as output? I want some nice scans of the slides/negatives, but I won't be needing professional quality necessarily. I don't have $1000 to spend on a high end scanner, so I was curious as to how bad the HP's do. Also, what is the output DPI of these HP models you like so much?

Mike
It's my professional opinion, you need a dedicated slide/negative scanner to obtain good quality scans. The Artix 120tf will make scans comparable to DSLR cameras. The HP Photosmart will produce publication/printable quality scans.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dave
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F. Brown View Post
It's my professional opinion, you need a dedicated slide/negative scanner to obtain good quality scans. The Artix 120tf will make scans comparable to DSLR cameras. The HP Photosmart will produce publication/printable quality scans.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for the information, Dave. Publication/printable will suffice for the family photo collection.

Who knows...maybe I will score a 120TF or similar down the road. For now, I can't justify that expense.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Ermahgerd!

I found a 35mm slide/negatives scanner for $80. It's made by VuPoint Solutions and is compatible with Windows XP. It says it can convert up to 5.0mega pixels.

Anyways, here's the specs on the box:

Image sensor: 5 mega pixels CMOS sensor

Frame rate: 5 mega pixels (2592 x 1680) 2 fps

Lens: Fno = 2.0 Half-field angle = 15 degrees
4 glass elements

Focus range: Fixed focus

Exposure Control: Automatic

Color Balance: Automatic

Scan High Resolution: 5 mp = 1800 dpi enhanced 3600 dpi

Interface: USB 2.0 (required)

Data Conversion: 10 bits per color channel

Scan Method: single pass

Light Source: Back light (3 LEDs)

Power: USB port

Dimension (LxWxH) : 3.5" x 6.5" x 3.5"

Weight: 16 oz.

System Requirements: Windows XP SP2, Vista
512 MB of RAM or higher
800 MB of available hard disk space or higher
Pentium 4 with 1.8 GHz

Accessories: User's manual, 35mm film strip tray, mounted slide tray, software CD, cleaning brush
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBoilermaker View Post
Thanks for the information, Dave. Publication/printable will suffice for the family photo collection.

Who knows...maybe I will score a 120TF or similar down the road. For now, I can't justify that expense.
I agree, they are a bit pricey. Let me know if you need any help.
Cheers,
Dave