Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread August 5th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Global-warming is a farce

Send a message via Skype™ to Samurai_Chris
Default Academy 1/32 RAAF F/A-18A Aggressor. (Whif)

Ok, this kit was for sale by me on the buy and sell forum. I had two people that were interested and poor old Glen was going to receive it. That was until my son realized what was going on when I was packing it, and the tears started to flow.. He is only two, doesn't know anything about models, but loved this one because it was big, and had Kangaroo's on it..

So after a suggestion from my nearly 7y.o daughter to fix it up, I decided to re-build it and make a Whif out of it.. So in the last few days I have been pulling apart, cleaning and re-building it. With a lot of putty and sanding.. I am also re-scribing what I can to give it the best result..

As for the Whif...

Amberley AFB in Queensland Australia is home to 1 and 6 Sqn F-111's. These guys will be replaced at 1 Sqn, with Super Hornets. Also to the fact that Amberley is now home to the C-17, and soon A330 tanker fleet, it is currently the largest base in Australia, and with the addition of Boeing Australia, Qantas, and the Army. It will eventually become Australia's first Super Base.. So I thought why not use 6 Sqn to transfer some of the Legacy Hornets over for an Aggressor Sqn, and have Australia's very own Top Gun...

So the build will be the Academy 1/32 F/A-18C kit, that will be done as an A, and painted in an Aggressor scheme.

As the US Navy Aggressors use the Soviet Star on the tails of their Aggressors, I have decided to do something different and use the Indonesian Pentagon markings instead. Purely because having grown up on Amberley AFB, as a kid we were always warned about Indonesia, and the strained relationship we have had with them.

Added of course with low vis Australian roundals.. The aircraft will be painted in the two tone gray scheme of the Indonesian Flankers..

Pics to come...
Unread August 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Ok, so for the pics..

This was all together, less a few gear bay doors and little extras that had broken off over the years.. It wasn't exactly the best build as I had done it many years ago. I used Aussie Decals RAAF 3 Sqn markings on it...

Ok, now it is in pieces, but here are a few pics of where we are at.. In order not to go too hard at once and then lose interest, I am taking my time with this one and doing one side at a time. Here is the untouched side.. I have just filled and puttied a few areas..

And here is the side I am working.. Still rough, but getting there. Those of you that have built this kit will know the poor fit of the intakes, and so a lot of work was needed there..

Unread August 6th, 2009, 03:47 AM

Well, the more I do on this kit, the more that I see needs to be done... I didn't realize just how much stuff had fallen off and disappeared. So I am having to scratch alot of things.. The latest being the landing gear bay doors.

I want to do this as an in-flight display, so I have used some clear plastic to replace the original parts. I will putty it all up and make it flush, and then begin the process of scribing the doors back in..

Unread August 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM

The canopy will need to be cleaned up, and will need a lot of work to make it all sit flush...

Unread August 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM

Wow... thats a big overhaul for the hornet, it'll definatly be unique!
Cant wait to see it finished in an aussie aggressor scheme.

Tom
Unread August 6th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Tell me about it.. The more I do on it, the more I can see it needs more work..

It really wasn't the best build I ever did, and so is needing the treatment now. But it will be worth it in the end...
Unread August 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Default Looking good........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Chris View Post
Tell me about it.. The more I do on it, the more I can see it needs more work..

It really wasn't the best build I ever did, and so is needing the treatment now. But it will be worth it in the end...
Hey Chris,

Looking good mate
Looks like there's a lot to do but you gotta good plan and it's already coming together!
The Aussie Aggressor 'what if' is a super idea. I've done a few armour 'what if' projects, so will follow this closely!
Cheers,
Glen

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
General Nathan F. Twining
Unread August 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks Glen.. I am going all out on this one.. The Academy kit is great and all, but had a lot of fit issues.. Even the canopy will need to be sanded back some in order to make it sit flush with the fuselage..

It was always one thing that annoyed me, and so why I always displayed it wheels down and canopy up.. As this will be an in flight display, I don't want it standing out like a sore thumb..
Unread August 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM

So a common problem with academy apparently. On the Academy f-16 in 1/32 the canopy doesn´t sit flush either.
Unread August 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM

And the intakes and the....

Nice big kits. Great detail. just a little sloppy with fit..

I also think that once you put the two screws in it warps the fuselage a little..
Unread August 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Well, a lot of putty and sanding. And here were are..

Re-scribing to come..

Unread August 10th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Soooo,

With the help of my daughter. (Holding the model) I finally got a pic of my efforts thus far..

I had to scratch the minor flap on the near wing, as well as the rudder on the far tail.. But all and all I am happy with the result..

Only thing to do now is the Indonesian camo.. As you can see I have started the Aussie Roundal, and to prove that I always paint my my roundal's by can if I dont have the decals...