Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Furball Aero-Design

Notices

Unread May 16th, 2015, 06:41 AM

Default Somebody stole my joy!

Some of you probably don't follow me on FB. So if you've missed my thread, here's the gist:
Zotz's new 1/32 F-4B MIG Killer sheets has elements that are simply scanned and retraced from both of my 1/48 Bravo MIG Killer sets. This is plagiarism; no doubt about it. This is an extremely disappointing move from someone that's been around the hobby for some time.

Ok and now for the evidence. The attached photos are of the artwork posted on the Zotz FB page with my art overlaid with a thin red outline for comparison....note the spacing...IDENTICAL.

Next up is the Eagle Claw from the main gear door of VF-51. I drew this from a hi-rez photo.....INDENTICAL.

Note the VF-161 crew names.....on the real jets they were hand painted in a cursive font....I picked a font that I thought was close. You can see that mine were simply traced and reproduced. Also note the "NF".

Kill Marks.... everything is IDENTICAL here.... simply scanned and then traced.

I can easily site at least 5 or more examples from his sheet. If you buy this sheet, know that Eli Raphael made a conscious decision to steal someone else's work for a quick buck. This is despicable, especially coming from someone as talented as him. He bypassed dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of research, design, and revision that I put into my sheets. A sad commentary on the state of affairs for our hobby....

Last edited by Furball Geoff; May 16th, 2015 at 06:47 AM.
Unread May 16th, 2015, 07:07 AM
S/F not just a saying

That sucks donkey balls! Have you spoken to Eli? I know it's his company at the end of the day but maybe he contracted out the artwork and doesn't know what the artist (loose term in light of this) did?
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread May 16th, 2015, 07:40 AM

I don't plan on contacting him. I'm sure he'll simply say this is all a coincidence and that he must have used the same refs as me. Regardless, there's no chance he'll stop selling them.
Unread May 16th, 2015, 10:51 PM

What a dick.
Unread May 17th, 2015, 06:49 AM

Even his cover art work is a rip-off of aviation artist Phillip West!
Unread May 17th, 2015, 04:25 PM

I don't know much about the subject either way to tell how someone ripped someone else off, but if he did, shame on him.
Unread May 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM

When 2 outfits cover the same subject it is reasonable to assume that there would be similarities in the final product. However if you give 5 artists the same references pics to work from, there would still be differences. In this case there aren't similiarities, there are identical copies....the sizing, the angles, the shapes. Too many to just be a coincidence.
Unread May 18th, 2015, 04:05 AM

I hate to say it but I'm one of the several guys who purchased these from him. I don't hang out in FB so I didn't know. You should voice this over on LSP and let the modelers know about what he did. Show the proof of your work and his copy.
Unread May 18th, 2015, 06:06 AM

He's a sponsor on LSP so I'm sure if I were to call him out there it wouldn't last long. By this point he knows that this is out there. Most likely he could care less. People need to know what they are buying and who they are buying it from. This was bound to happen eventually anyway.....I didn't expect it from this company however.
Unread May 18th, 2015, 09:42 AM

Here's a little photoshop action showing the blatant cover art rip off.

Unread May 18th, 2015, 06:45 PM

If the cover art is copied, which clearly it is, then maybe just maybe it's not too much of a stretch to at least consider that my claims might be true?
Unread July 27th, 2015, 06:18 PM

No doubt in my mind. Is this plagiarism or is it copyright infringement? Perhaps if there were some 'sting' to this "little" crime, he might consider twice in the future?

R/ Robert
Unread July 29th, 2015, 09:34 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Yea, that's a rip off alright. Sorry to hear that. It's becoming an Epidemic. We recently found that GT Hobbies ripped-off our 32nd Revell F-4 Intakes. I will soon be posting the evidence, as this is as blatant as this!

Mike V
Unread July 30th, 2015, 07:05 PM

That sucks Mike. As cottage industry guys we really don't have a lot of recourse other than to post the evidence and let the buying public decide. Some people couldn't care less as long as they get the aftermarket items they want.
Unread July 30th, 2015, 08:24 PM
shibboleet

Not doubting your claim but that's really surprising and disappointing. Zots has done some really good sheets in the past, makes me wonder why they would stoop to this level.
Unread August 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM
Too many kits....

Damn this blows man. You are right there are just too many similarities between them.

Andy

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1