Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Ordnance and Things under Wings

Notices

Unread June 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Default AGM-65 Maverick

What is the difference between the White colored and OD Green AGM-65 Maverick ?

! assume one is an electro-optical guided system and the other a laser guided weapon?

during my Google search I did not see any mention of color difference
Unread June 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Not 100% sure but I don't think the color had anything to do with capabilities but was more about time period.

Early variants were white, but with the concern about camouflage the new variants were produced in green and greys.

Having a bunch of white missiles hanging under the wing of a camouflaged aircraft kind of defeats the purpose camouflage.
Unread June 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Time frame. E/O was clear with a little camera, IR had the orangish colored nose.
Unread June 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM

Early missiles were white, then later missiles (D/G variants) came out in OD... camo issue mentioned above. As years go by, a lot of times you will see white seeker sections on OD rocket motor sections and the other way around as well, a lot of this was done to still shoot missiles for training by mixing parts (rockets and seekers). Some of the times you can take a new variant of seeker and put it on an old motor (AGM-65H CCD, or a G seeker on a D rocket motor comes to mind). USN/USMC missile variants are grey (F and E models). Heck, I've seen white seekers on grey rocket sections. Check out the photos in the link attached.

When it comes to the actualy seeker head section (meaning the glass up front): Clear means it is a EO (TV or CCD) or a laser variant, and the dirty tan/yellow color means it's an IR variant.

Launchers: Triple rail is for Mavericks with onlt the lightweight warhead (A through D), single rail for the heavyweight warhead (G/F/L).

Cheers
Collin

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ed_missile.jpg

http://www.deagel.com/library/AGM-65...120700027.aspx

Here is an interesting Z5 thread about Mav colors: http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=16561