Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Helicopter Tweak Lists

Notices

Old March 6th, 2013, 05:36 AM
You leak? NO fuel for YOU

Default Italeri 1/48 SH-60B?

Hello all,

I am making a foray into the helo portion of my stash, and this is the first kit I am getting. I also picked up the Wolfpack tail fold, and the Authentic Decals aftermarket set.

Is there anything I need to know about the kit? I read the kit reviews at ARC and HS, and so far, they seem positive for the kit. I would like to fold the rotors and tail, and one builder review I came across said the main rotor blades didnt "fold" correctly. (as in over and under, as is the kit kind of "spreads" them) He also made comment about the main gear struts and shocks make the kit stand too "tall" off the deck.

Im kind of winging it here, I have ZERO ref books for helos, and that kinda scares me, I usually try to paper research a subject to death. So, anything you can pass on that would help, even just general construction tips, would be great.

Thanks!

"Don't get me wrong, I like to cuddle. But there is such a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so that they can't get away." -A truism of life, by Dave Attell
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:58 AM

Interested in the replies here as well. I pulled my SH-60B to add a helo to my display case. It's sits on the shelf looking at me asking to be built. I was just going to make her OOB, but I gather there is substantial aftermarket out there for the cabin area.

Cheers
Collin
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:17 AM
S/F not just a saying

I think that one might need the Cobra Company set. Link

Also, IIRC the kit has a few blackhawk features like the rotor blades. I will need to find that info again to past it along.

I hope I am wrong but for me I think Italeri is not a good first helo kit. There is always little quirks that can make Italeri kits frustrating to build. If you list what you have for helos, we might be able to find one that is more enjoyable to build the first time out. YMMV.

Dan did a nice build here. build, the same on ARC build

For research prime portal has some nice walk arounds.
One and Two

Landing Zone publications has a book on the Seahawks.
cover page
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM
You leak? NO fuel for YOU

Well, I have an Academy MH-60, the Hasegawa Sea King, and a Dragon OH-58 (in 1/35) And an SH-60 in 1/72.

I would like to do the Sea King, but I dont want to trash it on the first go, so I was going to go the Italeri route, its a cheaper kit. Im not too worried about interiors right now, it will be mostly closed up, but I like that the option to open the drivers door is nice.

"Don't get me wrong, I like to cuddle. But there is such a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so that they can't get away." -A truism of life, by Dave Attell
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook498 View Post
Well, I have an Academy MH-60, the Hasegawa Sea King, and a Dragon OH-58 (in 1/35) And an SH-60 in 1/72.

I would like to do the Sea King, but I dont want to trash it on the first go, so I was going to go the Italeri route, its a cheaper kit. Im not too worried about interiors right now, it will be mostly closed up, but I like that the option to open the drivers door is nice.
I picked up the Italeri UH-60 "Night Raid" offering about a year ago, because the box art sold me, and after I had ordered the HH-60 as well, I quickly realized that I'd been duped into pretty much the same sprues. This kit isn't really a loser, but it isn't really a winner either. Like was already stated....they are a bit quirky..especially when you get to the clear parts. The whells do seem a bit high, but you could probably sand em' flat and make them weighted, and knock a little of that effect off. All in all, it'll build up into a nice H-60 kit, but there's not a lot to write home about. If I had to recommend anything, I'd say knock out that OH-58 first. I'm working right now on the Italeri OH-58D (1:48), and it's been a surprising amount of fun, compared to the -60. First helo I've tackled since that one, and although it's had it's tricky moments, it's been okay. I've found that the biggest issue when dealing with helo's is the amount of clear areas that have to be intermingled into the build. We're used to dippin' a canopy, and slapping it on towards the end of the build, whereas here...you have to incorporate those into the build itself...very often early. My biggest issues has been trying to figure out the build order of everything...when to mask, when to sand, when to polish, when to paint this or that. I think though after building about four or five of them, then it becomes just like building planes. Even if you've never touched a kit, you at least have an idea before you even start on how you want things to come together. That's really all it is with these as well. Just for a tip, make sure you dip all your clear parts, and allow them a few days to fully cure before you even start the project, because as I said earlier...they'll come at you quickly, and with all the work that goes on around them, it's so much easier to just have them coated with Future so you can remove little hiccups here and there. After painting this Kiowa I had a few areas of overspray that were quickly cleaned up with a moist Q-tip of thinner, and used my airbrush to blow out the dust. A quick brush of Future again over them and they were clear as day.

Try the 58D first. Little bit bigger, and I've seen that kit built up nicely over on ARC's gallery, so there is hope for that one too.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:39 PM

The only problem I had (at least to the point I stopped working on it), was the windshield area, it blows dead bears, lotsa fitting, sanding, twisting, etc. I also knocked down the main strut height as well to look more natural. Thats all I have so far, resin seats and PE could be a friend on this kit. HTH.

Jeff

Last edited by jefropas; May 3rd, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Hi:

What Jefropas said... I did one and the only problem I had was the windscreen. Other than that everything else was fine. Gotta hold yer mouth real funny for that glass though... Damndest thing...

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
INtruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!