Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Sierra Hotel Models

Notices

Unread August 14th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Default Post Nationals Report

What a great show this year. While we had a lot of fun, It’s good to be back from the Nationals. We’re soaring from this event with a lot more wind under our sails than last year. Though we missed most of the first day due to a family emergency, we were in full force on day two. What a fabulous time we had talking to modelers and venders alike. We received a lot of positive feedback from our new products, which the majority were sold out by Thursday. In addition to Sierra Hotel Models porducts, we were also carrying a batch of Muroc Models kits and accesories, which did really well.

There was quite a large effort by the Sierra Hotel Models team that went into bringing these new items out in time for the Nationals. Erik, Pat, Curt, and myself pushed through some late nights to make this happen and it was well worth it. All our new 32nd scale sets sold out and nearly all our 48th products as well.

Some of the items we planned for the nationals did not make the show due to an overseas distributor order; 32nd F-15 and F-16 wheel sets and the 48th F-18 Legacy Hornet intakes. These will available as soon as we can get more stock made. Our 48th scale F-15 and F-16 wheels have been reworked are not far behind.

Here are most of the items we had at the Orlando Nationals:

48th Scale

-F-16 ACES II Seat (Common, Stowed Harnesses) & Rail - Tamiya
-F-16 ACES II Seat (Common, Crew ready Harnesses) & Rail - Tamiya
-F-16 ACES II Seat (Late, Loose Harnesses) & Rail - Tamiya
-F-16 ACES II Seat (Early, Loose Harnesses) & Rail - Tamiya
-F-16C/CJ Cockpit Update set: Seat, Glare shield, and HUD - Tamiya
-F-22 Corrected Nose/Radome
-F-22 Corrected Stabs
-New tooled S-3 Inlets

1/32nd scale:

-A-10 Corrected Inlets/Fans and Exhaust set
-A-10 Corrected Inlets/Fans set
-F-4E Corrected Full Run Seamless Intakes for Revell
-F-4E Corrected Nose/Radome for Revell
-F-4E J-79 Long Nozzle Exhaust for Revell & Tamiya
-F-4G Conversion Set for Revell
-F-4 USAF/FMS Full Run Seamless Intakes for Tamiya
-F-4 NAVY/Marines Full Run Seamless Intakes for Tamiya
-F/A-18A-D Seamless Intakes

On Display in prototype form: (some not pictured)

-QF-4E/G & QRF-4C Conversion Parts
-F-4 Corrected Nose strut w NLG Wheels – Revell
-F-100C/D Wheels and Tires (in 48th also)
-F-100C/D Wheels and Tires (in 48th also)
-Skyraider Wheel and tires
-ALQ 101 Pod (1st Gen)
-Pave TAC Pod
-ATFLIR & Corrected ATFLIR Pylon – Trumpeter
-LAU-129 with ALE-50 Pylon – F-16
-LAU-128 with ADU-552 adapter – F-15
-ALQ-167 Pod

Test Shots of the 32nd F-4G Conversion for the Revell F-4E, along with a few other accessories and corrections:

Table Samples, F-4 Accessories, and 32nd F-18 Intakes:

J-79 long Exhaust:

Last edited by Viper Enforcer; August 14th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Unread August 14th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

ACES II Seats & F-16C Cockpit Upgrade - Tamiya

Please note that the display prototypes do not have a set release date at this time. These items will be worked into the lineup as the time and space becomes available.
1/48th F-16A Cockpit for Tamiya F-16:

1/48th F-16A Conversion for Tamiya F-16C:

1/32nd F-4E Hardwing Conversion and corrected NLG strut

As you can see, we had a lot of new releases début at this year’s Nationals, as well as some samples of future releases. I would like to thank all those who came by our table to meet with us and to check out our products. We sold out of all our new 32nd scale sets on the second day. The new 32nd scale accessories proved to be most popular, as were the new ACES II Seats and F-16C Cockpit Upgrade for the Tamiya kit.

Be aware that all the current line/generation 1/48th A-10 and S-3 inlet/fan sets will be discontinued. Once the official announcement is made on the website, they will be discounted until sold out. We will be bringing on new and improved A-10 and S-3 inlets by mid Fall.

It’s back to production mode now, as nearly all new stock is sold out. We will be loading the ACES II seats and cockpit upgrade sets first, followed by the A-10 and F-4 accessories. Naturally, the 48th Legacy Hornet Intakes will be wedged into the lineup, as these have been long sought after. F-16 and F-15 wheels will be available by next month, so hang in there. We’re also expecting the next batch of F-22 corrections; Stabs and Vertical tails in early September. There will be announcements made when the new (and previously announced) products are available from the website.

I understand the disappointing and long delays with our previous announced products. Rather than explain all the logistical setbacks and personal complications encountered, we’re leaving that in the past and moving forward with a solid agenda. Our website, which has been dormant for so long will be updated and eventually the format is going to be changed. A merchant account will also be added, making ordering more practical and convenient.

Thanks again for all your patience and patronage.

Sincerely;
Mike Valdez
Sierra Hotel Models
Unread August 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM

Mike, it was great to meet you and not only drool over so many of the products you had on display, but to finally get my grubby paws on a set of those new A-10 fans in 1:48 and 1:32.

Looking forward to throwing some more cash your way for a number of pieces once they get reloaded!
Unread August 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM

PAVE TAC! For F-4E's or 111's or better BOTH?
Unread August 15th, 2012, 01:36 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Vodnik

So... you've sold some 1/32 F-16 wheels to an overseas distributor! Great, good for you!
I wonder whose CAD design they were based on?...
Unread August 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM

It was great meeting you guys..... I am already saving for the F-16A conversion!!!
Unread August 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Same here, had lots of good discussions and it was great meeting all you guys. Can't wait for next year's Nationals.

The F-16A Conversion is getting close to being complete for the 1st release variant. Much more to come, plus the F-16A conversion will pave the way for other special F-16 conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkchaser View Post
PAVE TAC! For F-4E's or 111's or better BOTH?
F-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
So... you've sold some 1/32 F-16 wheels to an overseas distributor! Great, good for you!
I wonder whose CAD design they were based on?...
Yes and you probably have a good idea on the design

Mike V
Unread August 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I enjoy busting Scott's balls

Pave Tack in 1/32????!!!!!

Does the F-4G conversion include the rest of the cockpit parts required for a G-conversion besides the pictured aft panel? The front panel and aft side consoles are all different than an F-4E.

Speed Hunter Graphics
www.speedhuntergraphics.com
-----------------------------------------
Unread August 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

No, as we'd practically have to include a whole cockpit for that; especially since the kit doesn't even have sidewalls and the rear consoles are too short due to the angled rear bulkhead.. The rear panel was the essential most important aspect to a G conversion cockpit wise; the reason why we made it.

Cockpit plans are being looked into. If we do decide to go ahead then we can do a "complete" F-4G cockpit, as well as other variants.
Unread August 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Enforcer View Post
Same here, had lots of good discussions and The F-16A Conversion is getting close to being complete for the 1st release variant. Much more to come, plus the F-16A conversion will pave the way for other special F-16 conversions.

How different was the ADF tail from the "standard" A tail...And is that going to be one of the special conversions? You do realize that as soon as you get this to market, Tamiya is going to make an A model right?...Or is that the hope?

Aaron
Unread August 15th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Dang, I wish I had known about the 32ND scale A-10 inlets and exhaust stuff at the Nats. When will they be available for sale on the website? Will the corrected F-4 nose gear be available by itself?
Chuck
Unread August 15th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Sorry about that. Yeah, the 32nd A-10 Corrected Inlets/Exhaust and the 32nd F-4 stuff went quick. Wish we had more room for stock, but we were limited this year. That won’t be the case next year though, as we’ll be driving and there will be plenty of room for more stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeeagle801 View Post
How different was the ADF tail from the "standard" A tail...And is that going to be one of the special conversions? You do realize that as soon as you get this to market, Tamiya is going to make an A model right?...Or is that the hope?

Aaron
Quite different. The dorsal side bulges are of course the main differences and are going to be the most challenging to get right.

BTW the F-16 ADF conversion isn't one of the special variants I was referring too. That would be FSD F-16A, AFTI, F-16/J-79, F-16/101, and F-16XL.

Trust me; a Tamiya F-16A is quite a few years down the road. Our conversion will have been on the market for quite some time by the time Tamiya gets around to doing it. We'll see the Tamiya F-16D long before that, as the natural order of Tamiya aircraft subject variant approach dictates the sequence.

Mike V
Unread August 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM

So, to get an ADF, the best option would be to get your A conversion, and steal the ADF tail and other parts from a Revell kit?

Aaron
Unread August 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM
shibboleet

The easiest way is to use the Revell parts on a Hasegawa A-model. The Revell kit also has the ADF style IFF antennas.

edit: I guess the truly easiest way would be to build the Revell ADF kit OOB.

Last edited by Banker; August 16th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Unread August 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Got my F-4G conversion, long J-79 burners, and f-4 intakes today. Really, really nice! Again when will the 32ND A-10 intakes and exhaust be ready to order?
Chuck

Question, how come no instructions? Cut lines, ant. in the F-4G set, etc.

Last edited by otis252; August 16th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Unread August 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Glad you like them. A lot of effort went into those sets to ensure fit and accuracy. There was a lot of postive feedback on the SHM 32nd F-4 and A-10 sets. There were some issues during the build up trials, but these will be explained in the instructions that will soon be posted to our site.

We're building back up stock as fast as we can. Once we get the numbers up we'll be listing those items for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeeagle801 View Post
So, to get an ADF, the best option would be to get your A conversion, and steal the ADF tail and other parts from a Revell kit?

Aaron
In the near future, the "best" option and eventually "most accurate" way to build an F-16ADF rom the, will be to get our conversion.

Our standard F-16A conversion for the Tamiya F-16C will be the first "F-16A conversion" release. If you can’t wait by then to build an F-16 ADF, I would not suggest using the Revell ADF tail on our upper fuselage for the simple fact that the crude Revell ADF vertical tail would look most out of place/tacky on our upper fuselage, which has been meticulously scribed to match the fine petite Tamiya scribing. It would be like putting cheap hub caps on a Ferrari. No of course if one can scribe the Revell tail well enough to match Tamiya’s, then there’s no real concern. In the end though, what you do with our conversion after you buy it is none of our concern; just a suggestion.

Mike V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker View Post
The easiest way is to use the Revell parts on a Hasegawa A-model. The Revell kit also has the ADF style IFF antennas.

edit: I guess the truly easiest way would be to build the Revell ADF kit OOB.
That's the more practical way to do a decent 48th F-16ADF at this time, but it still requires a lot of work as the Revell parts require quite a bit of clean up and scribing. In the case of the Revell 501 pylons, they need some correcting in addition to the cleanup. If you could source the CE ADF conversion, that would be the best "current" approach, but they are hard to find and expensive.
Building the Revell F-16ADF “into a decent model” OOTB is not the easiest way to get an F-16ADF. The kit would require way to much effort to bring up to today’s standards.

Last edited by Viper Enforcer; August 16th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Unread August 18th, 2012, 11:20 PM

QF-4 sets in 1/32, intersting!!! But are they any decals available??

Is the -ATFLIR & Corrected ATFLIR Pylon – Trumpeter the one for the Super Hornets?

Can I buy SH items just from your web site or from somewhere else as well?

Thanks

CVN-73 USS George Washington / Australia 2009
CVN-75 USS Harry S. Truman / North Arabian Sea 2010
CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson / North Arabian Sea 2011
Unread August 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM

Most definitely want the F-4 upgrades and F-4G set.....PaveTack too, will there be a late ARN-101 upgrade too?

Also any chance of set of slotted rear stabs too,as the Revell Germany F-4F is far,far more common boxing for us 1/32 Phanatics this side of the pond. In fact i can't remember the last time i saw the RM F-4E boxing on sale here in the UK.
Unread August 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

ARN-101 is in work with the 101 plate antenna done and will be part of our QRF-4 set. Slotted F-4 stabs will also be available (Early October) for the F-4F kits and is already referenced in the instructions soon be to be loaded to the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy Ho View Post
QF-4 sets in 1/32, intersting!!! But are they any decals available??

Is the -ATFLIR & Corrected ATFLIR Pylon – Trumpeter the one for the Super Hornets?

Can I buy SH items just from your web site or from somewhere else as well?

Thanks

Nothing yet on decals though there are some out there. We'll be pitching 32nd F-4E/G as well as QF-4 to the decal guys, but no promises as it's not eactly a large market.

ATFLIR and pylon for the Trumpy SH kit.

The F-4 and A-10 items will be available soon from our website. We'll announce when they are ready for sale on the site.
Unread August 19th, 2012, 06:16 PM

I'll definitely be waiting for the ATFLIR and pylon!