Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Naval Aviation GB > General Info, Rules and Participants

Notices

Old November 21st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Slacker Action

Default Rules & Guidelines

The Blue side group build will 'officially' start on 8 May 2011 and ending on 8 May 2012. Starting on the birth date and continuing through the year long celebration.

The rules and/or guidelines are simple and as follows: (borrowed from Dave's list on the Green forum, because I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel!)

1. Subject can be any fixed wing aircraft, sea plane, dirigible, helicopter, or aircraft carrier operated by the United States Navy from 1911 to the present day.

2. Models can be any medium except paper. They can be injected plastic, resin, scratch built or multimedia.

3. Models can be built out of the box or with full aftermarket details and decals.

4. What-If's - let's leave those for Chris's group build, save maybe for a prototype build in operational markings, i.e. an F-111B in operational markings or something of the like.

5. When can I start? The 'official' start date is 8 May 2011. However, if you would like to start your project now, you are welcome to do so.

6. What information should I include for my build? While it will not be required, providing details on your build may help other participants. Examples can include the scale and manufacturer of the kit you're building, a listing of aftermarket parts used or a listing of published references for your subject (in print or on line).

7. How will prizes be determined? All modelers that participate in the group build and complete their subject(s) will receive something. As donations are still being requested, it is difficult to say at this time what will be given.

For each aircraft type, a contest consisting of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be conducted toward the end of the build. Polls will be added to the forum for subjects such as best Cargo, Fighter, Attack, Helicopter, etc. Members will vote by way of poll during the last month of the GB.

8. Do you have to finish? No......life gets in our way. If you can't or don't want to finish, you are in no way obligated to do so.

9. Can I finish a kit another modeler started? Yes. There are times when one modeler loses interest in a kit and sells or trades it to someone else. If you have a kit in your stash that falls in this category, you are welcome to include it.

Enough of the rules. Thank you Dave for doing this stuff better than I can. Now, everyone get to enjoying your build!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:07 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Is there a requirement of not more than __% finished before the start of the groupbuild? Personally I would focus on finishing models, and if that means putting the last few decals on and the flat coat, then that's as good as starting from scratch on the 8th of May.

As the F-111B never flew with a frontline squadron, then an "operational" one would definitely be in the What If territory (and not really suitable with the aims and object of this GB IMO). Making an F-111B in the test markings would be OK.

Just my pennies...

Jens
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:18 PM

Any decisions on how far the build is allowed to progress before the start of the group build?

Jens
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Slacker Action

I agree on the concept of getting them done. It doesn't matter to me if it's 0% or 99% percent done. I just want to see NavAir subjects.

If someone else disagrees, please chime in.
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM

I think that makes sense - the more the merrier. Let's focus on celebrating the centenary with as many models as possible.

Jens
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Jens...

Let's focus on celebrating the centenary with as many models as possible.

you put it!
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 135 bubblechaser

Just curious...are aircraft used at Mirimar eligible? The USN uses other on-Navy aircraft to simulate adversaries. Would these be eligible for the build as well?

Bri

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." - Daniel Webster
Old April 30th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Slacker Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 bubblechaser View Post
Just curious...are aircraft used at Mirimar eligible? The USN uses other on-Navy aircraft to simulate adversaries. Would these be eligible for the build as well?
Do they say "US NAVY" on them? A F-16N is a Navy plane for example.

So I say go for it as long as it says " NAVY" on the plane.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced View Post

I agree! If the Navy is flying it then it is a Navy plane, and would be eligible.

Brandon
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 135 bubblechaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced View Post

Cool...if that's the plan then I'll try my hand at this build with an F-16N done in "Aggressor" markings in 1/72nd scale.

Bri

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." - Daniel Webster
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Slacker Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 bubblechaser View Post
Cool...if that's the plan then I'll try my hand at this build with an F-16N done in "Aggressor" markings in 1/72nd scale.
Good. I can't wait to see that one.