Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Props

Notices

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Regular schmoe...

Default VX-30 NP-3D ???

Anyone out on the West coast know if VX-30 still operates the NP-3D "Billboard" Orions? I recently scored the Hasegawa kit courtesy of a friend down in New Zealand and want to do it up as one of VX-30s aircraft. I'll be out to Pt. Mugu at the end of the week and was hoping to get some references photos for myself but I thought I'd heard they were gone now... though I recall seeing one out on the line back in May.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Regular schmoe...

Default Answered my own question...

VX-30 P-3A 150521 with the obvious modification of the telemetry antenna. They operate two, modex 341 and 340.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I've seen things...

I was out at Camarillo airport a couple months ago, and I still saw them on the ramp. As to whether they're still up and flying, I do not know.
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM

Yes their still flying. Here is BH341 at the end of July this year.

Old October 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I've seen things...

They sure do look like they're being kept up. Good that they're still flying, and not sitting derelict on a ramp.
Old October 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Regular schmoe...

Yeah they're definitely operational. We did a mission with them (a/c 340) late Friday night to cover a missile shoot for the Missile Defense Agency and the air borne laser project...all of us tooling around just off the coast of Mugu clearing the range...on a Friday night?! What SWO planned this event? It eventually canxed so we landed and went to In-N-Out burger cuz all the bars were already closed.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Yeah they're definitely operational. We did a mission with them (a/c 340) late Friday night to cover a missile shoot for the Missile Defense Agency and the air borne laser project...all of us tooling around just off the coast of Mugu clearing the range...on a Friday night?! What SWO planned this event? It eventually canxed so we landed and went to In-N-Out burger cuz all the bars were already closed.
Did you happen to meet LT. Buszta? Cool guy!
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightertown Decals Mike View Post
Did you happen to meet LT. Buszta? Cool guy!
No, didn't meet any of their folks. Usually when we head out there it's pretty cut and dry what we're going to do so we don't mingle much with the other players often at all. Plus, I'm a knuckle draggin' flight engineer, all I wanna know is how long it takes for me to get a fuel truck and what parts I can get from their supply guys to keep us "UP"! LOL. That being said, the maintenance folks are always very supportive to us and going out to Mugu is always a pretty good time...We had Saturday off so I took the rental car out to Chino to the Planes Of Fame museum, awesome stuff!
I did get some great "walk around" shots of a/c 341 to use for my build and tracked down a decal of the tail logo from a Superscale sheet (1:48 F/A-18, should size out about right for a 1:72 NP-3D kit) Only thing I didn't squeeze in was a trip to Ventura Hobbies...and we always stay just a few blocks away from that place!

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
No, didn't meet any of their folks. Usually when we head out there it's pretty cut and dry what we're going to do so we don't mingle much with the other players often at all. Plus, I'm a knuckle draggin' flight engineer, all I wanna know is how long it takes for me to get a fuel truck and what parts I can get from their supply guys to keep us "UP"! LOL. That being said, the maintenance folks are always very supportive to us and going out to Mugu is always a pretty good time...We had Saturday off so I took the rental car out to Chino to the Planes Of Fame museum, awesome stuff!
I did get some great "walk around" shots of a/c 341 to use for my build and tracked down a decal of the tail logo from a Superscale sheet (1:48 F/A-18, should size out about right for a 1:72 NP-3D kit) Only thing I didn't squeeze in was a trip to Ventura Hobbies...and we always stay just a few blocks away from that place!
Gotcha! I asked because he is one of their P-3 drivers, so thought you might have ran into him.

Was the S-3 out there? In and Out is good, but I think a better place is called The Habit Burgers. There should be one out near Ventura.
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightertown Decals Mike View Post
Gotcha! I asked because he is one of their P-3 drivers, so thought you might have ran into him.

Was the S-3 out there? In and Out is good, but I think a better place is called The Habit Burgers. There should be one out near Ventura.
Yeah, the S-3 was out on station with us (a/c 700), they RTB'd after 3 hours with their short legs! I got a few pics of it taxing in the day we arrived, great paint job on that one. I hear their other S-3 is going to get a retro scheme for the Centennial.
BTW, I e-mailed Brian last week about some E-2 references for an old east coast Hummer sqdrn, VAW-127. I'll have pics sent off to you guys sometime this week.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've seen things...

Quote:
Heh, that's where we ended too. The cafe at the airport was closed, so we absconded the crew car from the FBO next door and found the closest In-N-Out.
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Too many kits....

I know the FE with the name under the windshield. we were in FE school together. I wish we did that here at VX_20. I do have my name on the canopy rail of a T-2C...

Andy

On the Bench:
Eduard 1/144 Mig 21 MF
Revell 1/32 BF109-G10
Hasegawa 1/200 C-40A Clipper

At some point:
Monogram B-25 turned into a PBJ-1