Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Resurrected Member

Default Hobbycraft 1/48 AT-33

The latest victim to land on my model table is a Hobbycraft 1/48 AT-33 “COIN Bird” that has been marinating in the unbuilt pile for closer to two decades than one… I’m choosing to do it up in Nicaraguan Sandinista livery, just like the box art. One cool thing I like about the Nicaraguan option, is that almost nothing is known about what they looked like, what they were modified to carry, or what was even configured in the cockpit! I’ve given an entire precious evening of mine to trying to find something out about these birds online, and apart from a color side-view drawing of the actual bird, I couldn’t find squat. Reddog came through for me again and gave me a couple books to peruse that cleared some general AT-33 details up- thanks brother! That being said, still a lot of the detailing, and possibly even the armament will be conjectural. I anticipate losing zero sleep over that little tidbit nonetheless!

Here's the box cover showing my project

I added some hyd lines and wiring to the NWW, and sawed off the MLG actuators on a pair of 1/72 Tomcat mains I had in my spares box. The Tommy parts will eventually become the MLG actuators that are missing off the T-bird kit. Also added an ECS duct, wiring, and hyd lines to the MLG bay.

At first, I wasn't sweating the cockpit detailing too much, but when I started painting it and putting the seats together, I realized that being on the short end of the info stick wasn't cool. My True Details cockpit is on the way, and hopefully should be here in a couple days...

The fuselage halves are ready for the cockpit to be complete.

Wish me luck!
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Reddog

Looking good brother.

BTW, you will be doing the ordnance we talked about, I'm not letting you slide that easy.

Reddog
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM

Cool. Don't see those done often. If you give up on the Nicaraguan whif, Aeromaster has a nice sheet for a Korean War version. But it would be nice to see that camo scheme.
Old August 7th, 2010, 01:42 AM

looking good so far!
keep the photos coming mate!
Old August 7th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Resurrected Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
Looking good brother.

BTW, you will be doing the ordnance we talked about, I'm not letting you slide that easy.

Reddog
Yep... was racking my brain to figure out what the tube stock was going to come from, but let's just say sometimes it's good for modeling to have a two year-old around the house!
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Reddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeko View Post
Yep... was racking my brain to figure out what the tube stock was going to come from, but let's just say sometimes it's good for modeling to have a two year-old around the house!
Coffee straws work good but those little straws that come with drink boxes work great. Plus it give you an excuse to buy and drink them with the kid.

Glue two together and then use masking tape for the "wrap around" parts and hand paint, the paint should smooth out the masking tape and give it a nice surface look.

Reddog
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Resurrected Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
those little straws that come with drink boxes work great.
What you described is exactly how I was thinking of doing it... As far as the straws, well that's why having a two year-old around can be a benefit!
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Reddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeko View Post
What you described is exactly how I was thinking of doing it... As far as the straws, well that's why having a two year-old around can be a benefit!
I figured that was what you where going to use when you mentioned the young'n.

Reddog
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Resurrected Member

Lots has been done since my last update!

Got my True Details T-33 Cockpit on the mail last weekend, and since then I've been painting and gluing away. Cockpit is installed; fuselage, wings, and horizontal stabs attached; and I am about 90% done with filling and sanding. I had some issues with the wing/fuselage fillet joint having a prominent step despite my best efforts at improving the fit, as well another step between where the wing undersides meet the fuselage on the forward and aft edges. Both problems were solved with careful application of CA and some Squadron White putty in key spots. Also, I discovered as I was putting the fuselage halves together that the aft fuselage is out-of-round by about .25 mm by the time it ends at the tail pipe... Some vigorous sanding and a putty fillet seems to have taken care of the issue though.

I just attached the resin glare shield in the front cockpit, and apart from getting that spot black, I just need to get the canopy and windscreen on prior to a light prime and a very heavy pre-shade.

Seats are close to being done- I used stretched sprue to make the ejection handles, and I'm still waiting for a night with a particularly steady hand to get the black striping on decently. I also need to do the belt buckles and dry brush some various shades of gray to break up the black a bit, and they should be ready for install.

My ordnance will be two MA-2 twin 2.75" rocket launchers, and currently I am experimenting with the best way of scratchbuilding them out of some coffee straws that I took the liberty of liberating from our geedunk at work.

More to follow!

The old cockpit and the new... Words cannot describe how much better the new cockpit is!

Old August 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Not an Admin Anymore

Looks great Nick! How was the fit of the TD resin cockpit? I have the same set, but I want to do a Korean T-33 some time.
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Resurrected Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin K View Post
Looks great Nick! How was the fit of the TD resin cockpit? I have the same set, but I want to do a Korean T-33 some time.
The TD cockpit fit pretty well, actually. If I were to do another T-Bird again, I would sand just the tiniest of margins on either side's outer edge of the consoles. I had a little bit of an issue with the nose halves on top not wanting to mate completely. By the time I realized this may be an issue, I had already glued the tub to one half of the fuselage... In the end, I waited to glue that part of the fuselage together till last, clamped the nose halves together, and hit the seam with CA and zip kicker. I still had a hair's width gap on the top seam, which disappeared after one very light application of Squadron White.

Apart from that, I had to cut out the aft 1/2" of the tub's casting block to allow for the main wheel bay to seat- 20 seconds with my Dremel and cutting wheel and that was water under the bridge.

This is my absolute first-ever resin cockpit, so if a hack like me can get it right the first time, I'd say it's a pretty good setup!

Last edited by Neeko; August 15th, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:25 PM

Look'n good Neeko!

I've got a similar set up I going to do a Korean T-bird with.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress...

Mark

Ronald Reagan
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Resurrected Member

Lots going on with the T-Bird in the last 48 hours! Currently it is resting comfortably on my paint bench in the garage with a drying coat of Future applied...

I managed to get the wing fillets sanded out the way I wanted them to be, followed by attaching the canopy and windscreen. Since I'm shooting to make this bird this bird look pretty rough, I gave it a pretty heavy pre-shade with Tamiya flat black... (Taken from my iPhone-sorry!)

After that all dried, I broke out the spray can of Tamiya USAF Light Gray for the base coat. The bottom turned out real nice with the pre-shade...

Then, I quickly sprayed the four-tone camouflage pattern over the gray undercoat on the top-facing surfaces and fuselage. By what I can tell from the few nuggets of info I could find on these birds, the Sandinista T-33 was a Light Gray zebra with camouflage stripes- meaning that the camo pattern was field-applied on top of the light gray base coat. I used my narrow Aztek tip to haphazardly fill in the camo colors. The paint was still a little wet when I shot the pics, but the finish obviously is a little more uniform now it has Future on it.

With a little luck, I'll knock out a heavy wash in the next day or two and will have more pics to post.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Call Me Bubba

I have some old Super Scale decals for a Thunderbirds T-33 and some other schemes as well. Will be interesting how your build comes out to see if I will tackle a couple myself. Looks good so far. Is this the Academy kit that is out now?

Last edited by jynx; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Resurrected Member

Just finished the wash... this thing is finally starting to look right! I used an extra-thick mix on the tail to make it look real dirty.

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Looking good so far!

The kit looks to be a fairly quick project, too. I'll definitely consider picking it up in the future. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Resurrected Member

Tried a different approach to getting a decent photo of this thing... The paint and weathering is all done. I used Winton oil paints thinned with Zippo fluid for the wash, along with a liberal coating of charcoal in spots. Everything was sealed with a coat of Testor's dull from the airbrush... Last thing to do is the gear, flaps, and the seats!

Old August 30th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Reddog

Great, he's using the Ford book as a painting mat now.

Looking great!!

You have to show me how to do washes one of these days.

Reddog
Old September 1st, 2010, 08:01 AM
Captain Stink Pickle

Send a message via Skype™ to willieself

That looks awesome Nick!!!! Love the paint work!!
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Resurrected Member

The landing gear and canopy are on, and all that is left is the MA-2 rocket launchers I am scratchbuilding... More on those later when they dry. Look for this model to be displayed in the Flightline very soon!