Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Aviation Photography Q&A

Notices

Unread October 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Default How do you cut out part of a picture in Photoshop?

Hey all

I've got PS Elements 9, and I've got several shots that I took last week where I was toward the max range of my lens, and so there is quite a bit of background (tarmac, runway, field, etc) in the picture as well as the plane. Is there a way to cut out the background/foreground so that I can focus more on the aircraft and still keep it at a "standard" size? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I want to cut out the tarmac on the bottom of the pic, but I need to keep the background and the plane in a stadard pixel size (like 2:3, 3:4 for example) so that I can up-load the finished pic to Airliners.net or something similar. I've not done any editing to this pic, just so you know.

Unread October 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM

For "croping" the images, you can use the tool "crop" in the Adobe tool bar.

But the free program Fast Stone Image Viewer is very good if you want to perform the lossless crop of image. Press x key or right click on image -> Edit -> Crop Board.

At the bottom, you will see the "Paper Ratio:" and from the drop down menu just chose the ratio you want eg. 3:2 or 4:3. When you set what you want to keep on the picture, just press down right button "Lossless Crop to File" and you will have cropped photo the way you want and without losing nothing in quality.

But for photos like this one, you will definitely need some editing (I have quickly edited your photo) to get something like this:

Last edited by Niko@inScale; October 12th, 2011 at 06:05 PM.
Unread October 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Thank's Nico. I guess more what I want to do is cut the tarmac out of the picture completely, and then crop what is left. I've tried all of the different "standard" crop sizes from the drop-down menu (3x5, 4x6, 5x7, etc) and can't get it to look right doing that. I tried the "no restriction" crop tool as well, but when I submitted it to airliners.net (another pic, not the 747 I posted here) they rejected it because it was not in a standard size.

Did I explain that any better?

Aaron
Unread October 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM

So the problem is Tarmac... So you wanted to do something like this then... I suppose!

Or if you have a problem to do that, send me the original photo and I will edit for you if you want and crop the way you want!

Last edited by Niko@inScale; October 12th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Unread October 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Yes, but I'd like to have the whole plane in-frame.

Aaron
Unread October 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Well, you can do that as well, but you will have to substitute the tarmac with something. Your photo is 3:2, so only standard format you can use to fulfill your request would be 16:9 (the widest "standard" format) and it gonna look like this:

But be careful, Adobe crop tool give you ratio in mm or inch. As I say, the best is to get the Fast Stone and to do that. In FS you can chose ratio.

Last edited by Niko@inScale; October 12th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Unread October 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Thank's for your help. I'll look into FS and play around with it. The tarmac is gone in your edit, but now I think the problem may be too much background. A.net is anal about having too much anything, anywhere besides the aircraft. So much so, that I have all but given up submitting things to them.

Aaron
Unread October 14th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Umm... "newby" question, so I apologize up-front if it sounds stupid - "Why is it desirable to get your pics accepted by airliners.net and why is it so difficult to submit?"
Unread October 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Good question John...One that I've not really figured out myself. It just seemed like a way to get my pics published where people can see them (I'm a long way away yet, but I'd like to get a website or something in the future) but they are so up-tight w/the standards (and so inconsistant) that it is getting to the point that it is not worth it for me. Dave Brown told me about airfighters.net, and I may start submitting my pics to them.

Aaron
Unread October 14th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Internet Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Umm... "newby" question, so I apologize up-front if it sounds stupid - "Why is it desirable to get your pics accepted by airliners.net and why is it so difficult to submit?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeeagle801 View Post
Good question John...One that I've not really figured out myself. It just seemed like a way to get my pics published where people can see them (I'm a long way away yet, but I'd like to get a website or something in the future) but they are so up-tight w/the standards (and so inconsistant) that it is getting to the point that it is not worth it for me. Dave Brown told me about airfighters.net, and I may start submitting my pics to them.

Aaron
And here I thought you guys took pictures because you both seem to have such spectacular bad luck with finale clear coats....

(I kid, I kid)

(and yes...I'm probably going to modeling forum hell for that crack)

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread November 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Aaron,
AIRFIGHTERS is much more user friendly.