Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Marine Aviation GB > Reference Library - Marine Aviation

Notices

Old January 18th, 2012, 06:15 AM

Default OV-10D Cockpit shots

These are cockpit images of the OV-10D on display at Flying Leathernecks Aviation Museum. The canopies have since been painted over.

Front cockpit - note missing radar warning display

Gunsight

Front seat

Front side panel

Front cockpit - rear of housing for FLIR sensor display
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:19 AM

Rear instrument panel - the large square square hole is where the display for the FLIR sensors once lived, the smaller rectangular hole beside it was the control panel for the laser.

Position Location Reporting System (PLRS) control panel with stone-age ECS vent above it

Rear seat

Circuit breaker panels behind rear seat

Overview of cockpit

Last edited by John B; January 18th, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear they painted over the canopies. A shame really since the glass looks good and the cockpit is relatively complete.

I put an AH-1J on display at camp Pendleton and had to paint the canopies but there was really no choice since the cockpit was completely gutted and the plexi was severely glazed and cracked (even had to putty over a bullet hole in one door). That bird was rescued from the CFR pit and it was in sad shape - you know how those MWSS guys abuse their gear.
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCobra View Post
That bird was rescued from the CFR pit and it was in sad shape - you know how those MWSS guys abuse their gear.
Don't lump the rest of us with the ARFF guys, they are a special group unto themselves. The other half built you a BBQ area not to far that bird to spread your top gun lies, not to mention a K-span. Jest saying.

I do agree it's a shame that they painted over the glass and the photos are well done.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Wow, thanks for the interior shots. It is always great to see stuff like this. Much appreciated. As the others have said, it is a shame that the canopies are painted over. I wonder if it is to protect the interior?

I have a Paragon conversion set in my stash and these will certainly help.

Cheers
Chris
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Internet Hero

Great shots John thanks for posting!

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Circuit breaker panels behind rear seat
Good lord, can you imagine trying to reach a circuit breaker back there. You'd have to be part Russian gymnast to reach those while strapped in. Blind cockpit tests must've been a beyaaatch
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Internet Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by easixpedro View Post
Good lord, can you imagine trying to reach a circuit breaker back there. You'd have to be part Russian gymnast to reach those while strapped in. Blind cockpit tests must've been a beyaaatch
Quote:
Overview of cockpit
Do you suppose that's what that little mirror (at least I think it's a mirror) just to the right of the rear headrest in the photo...to see the circuit breakers?

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Do you suppose that's what that little mirror (at least I think it's a mirror) just to the right of the rear headrest in the photo...to see the circuit breakers?
You, sir, are a smart man. That mirror is useless for looking behind the plane, but in a good spot to see if any breakers are popped. Being able to reach in and reset them is another matter. I suspect there is some "unbuckling" involved to be able to reach. I bet "Eh, we'll just reset it on the ground" has been uttered more than one observer...

Gunner Mike might be able enlighten us on this subject...

Last edited by John B; January 19th, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old January 19th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You, sir, are a smart man. That mirror is useless for looking behind the plane, but in a good spot to see if any breakers are popped. Being able to reach in and reset them is another matter. I suspect there is some "unbuckling" involved to be able to reach. I bet "Eh, we'll just reset it on the ground" has been uttered more than one observer...

Gunner Mike might be able enlighten us on this subject...
Hmmm, never a fan of un-strapping. (unless of course you can't reach the relief tube because of a poor preflight, and you happen to be on hour 4 of an 8 hour mission...)
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
Don't lump the rest of us with the ARFF guys, they are a special group unto themselves. The other half built you a BBQ area not to far that bird to spread your top gun lies, not to mention a K-span. Jest saying.
Hmmm... I seem to remember folks from MWSS at Pendleton accidentally BBQing whole areas around the airfield. I also seem to remember a few of them getting burned, too.
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Hmmm... I seem to remember folks from MWSS at Pendleton accidentally BBQing whole areas around the airfield. I also seem to remember a few of them getting burned, too.
We didn't BBQ the airfield, that was 5 ac at Pulgus. That was nothing compared to the 25 ac the SNCO school BBQ the following week.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Medicman71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk174 View Post
Wow, thanks for the interior shots. It is always great to see stuff like this. Much appreciated. As the others have said, it is a shame that the canopies are painted over. I wonder if it is to protect the interior?

I have a Paragon conversion set in my stash and these will certainly help.

Cheers
Chris
Aww man I so need one of those conversion sets. I keep looking but nothing has turned up yet.