Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Old September 22nd, 2018, 07:58 PM

Default Mission Models Paints

The local hobby shop started carrying this brand of paints, and since I had an old Tamiya M1A1 Abrams kit in my stash, I bought some Armor Sand and Tire Black and tried them out.

Airbrushing- Using the recommended mix (10 parts paint to 2-3 parts thinner) It sprays very smoothly. Adding the Polyurethane additive didn't seem to make any difference in how it sprayed or the gloss level after it dried. It does take quite a bit longer to dry than Tamiya acrylics, but this allows it to self-level and dry smoother as well. Once the Paint was dry I stuck some masking tape to it to test the adhesion-worked beautifully. One small quirk (not really a problem) is that the color changes quite a bit as it dries.

Brush Painting- Straight from the bottle it brushed very smoothly but took a long time to dry. Adding 2 drops of thinner to 10 parts paint seemed to speed up the dry time slightly without being too thin for brushing.

I like this stuff quite a bit. It's a little expensive ($5 and change per bottle) but it's a 1 oz bottle and the color selection seems to have picked up almost all the colors that Model Master dropped.

Wayne
Old September 22nd, 2018, 08:10 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
The local hobby shop started carrying this brand of paints, and since I had an old Tamiya M1A1 Abrams kit in my stash, I bought some Armor Sand and Tire Black and tried them out.

Airbrushing- Using the recommended mix (10 parts paint to 2-3 parts thinner) It sprays very smoothly. Adding the Polyurethane additive didn't seem to make any difference in how it sprayed or the gloss level after it dried. It does take quite a bit longer to dry than Tamiya acrylics, but this allows it to self-level and dry smoother as well. Once the Paint was dry I stuck some masking tape to it to test the adhesion-worked beautifully. One small quirk (not really a problem) is that the color changes quite a bit as it dries.

Brush Painting- Straight from the bottle it brushed very smoothly but took a long time to dry. Adding 2 drops of thinner to 10 parts paint seemed to speed up the dry time slightly without being too thin for brushing.

I like this stuff quite a bit. It's a little expensive ($5 and change per bottle) but it's a 1 oz bottle and the color selection seems to have picked up almost all the colors that Model Master dropped.

Wayne
Ok, stupid question time, is the paint enamel or acrylic?

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:24 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

I'm on the other side of the fence. I hate it. Used it on a Prowler I built earlier this year and was not impressed.

If you're interested, I have 10 bottles of mostly modern grays, a bottle of thinner and a bottle of mix additive that you're welcome to for the price of postage from 30062. Let me know either way when you're able.

flyingleathernecks@att.net

Dave
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
Ok, stupid question time, is the paint enamel or acrylic?
It's acrylic.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 10:27 AM

Dave, I don't build enough modern jets to use the greys, but thanks anyway.
Wayne
Old September 23rd, 2018, 12:41 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag View Post
It's acrylic.
Thanks

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 11:16 PM

Sending you a message Dave -

I'd like to try them, message sent through email.

All the best -
George

Last edited by GEH737; September 23rd, 2018 at 11:19 PM.