Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Automotive Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread December 16th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Wink 1/1 Restoration

, I hope this is the right place to post this. As well as working on several model aircraft I'm also working on a 1939 Pontiac All Enclosed Coupe (Holden body). These were a beautiful Aussie fastback coupe some 30 years before fastbacks became popular in the 1960s. The engine was imported from the USA and the drive train and chassis were imported from Canada due to tax and other political considerations. By 1939 the Pontiac Coupes were only available with six cylinder engines, although you could still get the eight in the sedan. This body was also available in Vauxhall, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and Buick brands.

GM-H built only 85 of these coupes at Woodville in Adelaide in 1939 and there are only 3 left now, anywhere in the world. A friend of mine has a 1939 Oldsmobile roadster, again with body by Holden. They only built 10 of these in 1939 and Bill's is the only one left anywhere in the world. So you can see we do have some very rare cars here in Australia and they were built here.

I was moving the car out of its garage about 4 months ago and it just stopped and wouldn't restart. She'd been getting hard to start cold but no trouble starting hot. A bit of investigation revealed the ignition condenser had gone open circuit. I've fitted a new one but there's one little screw that came out easily enough but it doesn't want to go back in. When I get it there she'll be driven to a blaster to be soda blasted and then painted and put back together with a new rubber kit.

When I get my new computer up and running I'll post some pics of the car here.

Regards,
RHB

Last edited by RHB785; December 16th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
Unread December 17th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Global-warming is a farce

Send a message via Skype™ to Samurai_Chris

Pics pics pics
Unread December 17th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up

, Yes, yes Chris. I'll get some up next week. I have a new computer ready to go but have to wait for my cousin's 15 year old grandson to come and give me a hand. I have to ring him today as it's his birthday so I'll make some arrangements to get that done next Wednesday. Then I'll get some pics up.

Regards,
RHB
Unread December 18th, 2014, 02:48 AM
Administrator/Tweaker

Don't understand why that screw is being such a bugger on you, RHB - must be the gremlins fighting you.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your classic Pontiac!
Unread December 18th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Unhappy

,Yes Midnight Tech I think you're right. It and the condenser are inside the distributor and holds it the -ve wire from the coil to the points and around to the condenser to an insulating block. I've thought about it over the last day or so and I think if I hold the nut on the other side in a spanner (wrench) with a little grease and feed the screw through the hole I might be able to get it back where it belongs. When I was working on aircraft I had that happen many times. I'd go for a walk for 10 minutes and then try again and it would go where it was supposed to first try after that. One thing this project is teaching me is to have more patience than I already had.
Unread December 18th, 2014, 09:19 AM
shibboleet

I don't know how authentic you are wanting to be in your restoration but you might consider converting over to breakerless (electronic) ignition (e.g. GM's HEI). Several outfits offer conversions that replace the breaker plate and fit inside your original housing, including Pertronix, DUI (Dave's Unified Ignition) and others. No more points to adjust, no more dead condensors, much greater reliability.
Unread December 18th, 2014, 10:31 PM

Thumbs up

, Hi Banker, I eventually intend to convert her to 12V but for the time being the 6V system is going to have to stay. When I do the 12V conversion I intend to fit electronic ignition as I won't be entering her in any concours events and yes I agree that HEI is the way to go. My first Holden Commodore had normal points type ignition standard and I fitted a Bosch HEI unit to it. The next model came out with HEI as standard, but I didn't have a problem reliability wise once I fitted HEI to the earlier model.

Regards,
RHB
Unread February 28th, 2015, 04:50 AM

Unhappy

I just got back from Melbourne a few hours ago. Went down for the Avalon Airshow but didn't get to see it. I paid $450 for 3 days in the stands in 2009 and spent about 2 1/2 hours on the airfield. When i went to book my tickets the site said This Event No Longer on Sale. So I toddled over to Bayswater to pick up a rubber and seal kit for the old Pontiac on Thursday as organized and they weren't ready either. From what my supplier told me there's apparently been a longshoremen's strike on the US west coast for the last 3 1/2 months and they are just getting the backlog sorted out now. He'll post them to me at no cost when the bailey channels arrive.

This is apparently the only part of the seals and rubbers that is the same between US GM cars and GM-H models of that era. The window winder regulators and door handles are also different being sourced by GM-H here. I broke one of the window regulators getting the handle off because I was assuming they were all the same and used the wrong tool. We live and learn I guess. So I dipped out alround on that trip but I must admit the trip itself was wonderful. I left Wangaratta at 8 am today and got home at 5 pm stopping for between 15 and 30 minutes every 2 hours when my GPS nagged me to stop. And one fuel stop at Goulbourn between Wangaratta and Newcastle. 2 fuel stops between home and Melbourne.

The roads now are tremendous. I can drive 500 metres, join a 4 lane divided road and follow divided roads of at least 4 lanes all the way to Melbourne these days. A far cry from when I was a young airman at Wagga in the early 70s. Droning along at maybe 10 mph in first gear behind some poor truckie struggling up some of the hills down that way then racing at 80+ mph to keep up with them down the other side. Now even the B-doubles can get up most hills at about 50 mph but we can now overtake them safely without having to go onto the wrong side of the road. The countryside hasn't changed that much though.

Regards,
RHB.
Unread June 24th, 2015, 08:31 AM

, Here are a few pics of the old Pontiac. While Z5 was down I taught myself how to upload pic from photobucket with a little help from some members of another forum. Let's see now.

Cheers,
RHB.
Unread June 29th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Intentionally Left Blank

That is one gorgeous motor vehicle! PLEASE keep it stock...don't tart it up and ruin it's clean lines
Unread June 30th, 2015, 02:24 AM

, Don't worry Lumpulus I won't be rodding her or anything radical like that. I do want to do some safety, convenience and comfort mods but that's all. For instance 38 and 39 Pontiac Coupes (or Slopers as they were called here) for some reason only had one tail light, on the RHS on the body. These tail lights are similar to what 38 US Pontiac sedans had on both fenders so I want to put them on the fenders and put 39 US Pontiac tail lights with amber lenses for turn signals on the body further up and also put some 38-39 Buick parking lights on the front fenders with amber lenses also for front turn signals. I want to do away with those add on blinkers as I don't like them much. They do the job but don't look genuine whereas what I want to do will look more in character with the style of the times when she was built. This is what the standard tail light looks like.

I've seen a photo of a 38 Pontiac Sloper with tail lights on the fenders and it looks absolutely beautiful. Of course that one is fully restored and I'll try to find out who owns it and the next time I'm in Melbourne go and have a chat with him. I've also got to join the local Pontiac Club.

Regards,
RHB.

Last edited by RHB785; June 30th, 2015 at 02:30 AM.