Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Olimp Models

Notices

Unread November 4th, 2011, 02:04 AM

Default NEW!!! Conversion set AH-1W Super Cobra NTS "Iraqi Whisky" for Italeri kit, 1/72

Oh, yes! We have made it!

Last edited by Olimp Models; November 4th, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Unread November 4th, 2011, 02:15 AM

Hi, guys!

For a long time we did not please you with the updatings.
However, we did not waste this time in vain.
Today a lot of interesting to you!
Decal and PE are included.
72-nd release - december 2011
48-nd release - january 2012

Kind regrards, Oleg.
Unread November 4th, 2011, 06:34 AM
S/F not just a saying

That does look very interesting....very much needed for a kit that needs some help.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread November 4th, 2011, 09:32 AM

1/48 in January? Awesome news!!
Unread November 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Internet Hero

Outstanding news!

Will the 1/48 version include a new canopy, or will you have to trim the kit one?

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread November 7th, 2011, 09:12 PM

In regards to the 1/48th conversion, is there any way to include white metal/ brass replacements for the skids?
The Italeri kit has 2 problems in this area -
1) The skids have the aerodynamic fairing surrounding the tube between the skids and fuselage. I've seen plenty of AH-1Ws without this aerodynamic cover.

2) The plastic for the skids may have trouble supporting the additional weight of resin upgrades and my flex or bend excessively.

Main rotor head -
The main rotor head for the 1/48 AH-1W lacks detail AND is molded so that the rotor spins in the wrong direction. Is there any way to add a detailed metal rotor-head that displays the blades in the correct rotation?
Unread November 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Will the 1/48 version include a new canopy, or will you have to trim the kit one?
I analyzed photos and have come to conclusion, that at NTS-update Cobras canopy same, as well as at "not NTS".
It is necessary to cut off only its forward edge approximately on 1,5-2 mm (in 72nd).
New canopy in this set, not planning.
To John B
This is CONVERSION, but NOT correction set, John!
To me certainly well-known about lacks of Italeri kit.
However, if we correct all of them it very much will cost much to you (consumers).
I am assured, that skids tube and main rotor head it is simple to correct independently!
In any case, white metal parts is not planning in this set.

Kind regards, Oleg.

Last edited by Olimp Models; November 8th, 2011 at 12:26 AM.
Unread April 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
To John B
This is CONVERSION, but NOT correction set, John!
To me certainly well-known about lacks of Italeri kit.
However, if we correct all of them it very much will cost much to you (consumers).
I am assured, that skids tube and main rotor head it is simple to correct independently!
In any case, white metal parts is not planning in this set.

Kind regards, Oleg.
Oleg,

This post is intended as: 1) an honest question (do you plan on doing the interior?) 2) a helpful review to those considering purchasing it and wondering what they get for $40, and 3) a courteous request to you to perhaps list complete contents for future releases. I'm not meaning to sound: 1) ungrateful, 2) know-it-all, 3) nit-picky. Your correction/conversion set is very well made. The molds are crisp, the detail is accurate, and the decals and PE are an excellent and most welcome addition.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, I have to disagree with your statement above that this is a conversion not a correction.

I just got the 1/48 NTS CONVERSION in and the majority of what you provided is a CORRECTION and not a CONVERSION and the conversion portion is incomplete.

Your Hellfires are corrections/replacements for the kit parts.
Your TOWs are corrections/replacements for the kit parts.
Your radio antennas are corrections/replacements for the kit parts.
Your ALQ is a correction/replacement for the kit part.
Your oil cooler shroud is a correction/replacement for the kit part.
Your intakes are a correction/replacement for the kit part.
Your searchlight is a correction/replacement for the kit part.
Your relief tube is a nice addition but not NTS specific.
Your 19 shot pod is a nice addition but not NTS specific (by the way they are very very rarely used now).

The only CONVERSION (NTS era specific parts) parts are the turned exhausts, NTS nose and FLIR window, the dual ALE buckets, and the AAR antennas.

Additionally, the conversion portion of your set is missing all of the NTS specific interior mods. Most notably the layout of the front cockpit is very different on an NTS conversion. Not easy to scratch-build (at least not for me). Did you intend for this to be an "exterior only" update and do you plan on releasing an "interior update"?

I'm just slightly disappointed that you didn't provide everything required for the NTS conversion. The differences in front cockpit layout are very prominent between an NTS aircraft and a basic Cobra and I'm not looking forward to scratch-building them.

I'm thankful for the correction pieces you did provide but if it's an issue of keeping the costs down, I would have preferred an NTS instrument panel (for example) over a 19-shot rocket pod (for example).

My intent for this post was not to drop a turd in the punchbowl - I just wanted to point out that, while your set does have a lot of excellent "corrected" pieces, the "conversion" is incomplete.

My apologies if it was advertised that this was an exterior only update and I missed that point. I tried to study the available photos prior to ordering the $40 set but didn't catch what was missing. Such is life with on-line transactions. I miss going to a brick and mortar hobby shop and holding something in my hands before I purchase it.

Again, good work on what is there - I personally just wish it was more conversion and less correction. If you were trying to keep costs down as you stated above, some of the correction pieces you added are easily corrected by the modeller (scribed intakes for example), not needed (19 shot pod for example), or available through other sources (TOWs and Hellfire for example).

Best of luck and thank you very much for catering to the helicopter niche.
Randy

Last edited by SuperCobra; April 17th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Unread April 19th, 2012, 02:26 AM

Dear, Randy!

I thank you for your fair and developed opinion on our set!
It really is very important for us!
I agree that true signs "NTS-update" are only the cabin of pilots and a nose part of a fuselage with FLIR turret.
However our set knowingly is called "Iraqi Whisky" (however... "whiskey" , it is final)
We have tried to reproduce shape Super Cobra in that kind in which this remarkable helicopter was at war in Iraq.
Also we initially did not put to ourselves a problem to provide detaling of coockpit...
Your disappointment is partly clear, but it is strange enough.
After all we publish a photo of all sets on the site which is absolutely easy for finding:
http://www.olimpmodelsgroup.com/

Probably these images are not too good, but they give quite clear representation about the set content. )
Besides, you could ask me a question here, at a forum and find out all that you interested, in advance.
Once again I wish to underline, that we aspired to recreate shape Super Cobra of period Iraqi War and have tried to make the most appreciable elements of its design.
Manufacturing of a set for coockpit is possible, however meanwhile it is not included into our nearest plans.
Once again thanks for your answer!

Kind regards, Oleg.
Unread April 20th, 2012, 06:36 PM

With this lone profile picture, it is impossible to tell not only what is there but also what isn't there. As you know, your sprues are several parts deep. With a single profile picture you can not see what parts are in the back and you can not see what parts are laying flat and you definitely cannot determine what isn't included.

I would still be disappointed even if I had known before hand that you didn't include the interior as you can't build an NTS Cobra with only half of the NTS and nobody makes an NTS cockpit in 1/48. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that most modellers who would go to the trouble of buying a resin update set wouldn't want to do it halfway.

If you aren't going to include everything needed, the right and honest way to advertise it is to label it as "exterior only" or inlcude a parts list.

Last edited by SuperCobra; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Clarification