Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > The Toolbox

Notices

Unread December 21st, 2014, 08:07 PM

Default issue with white enamel

For some reason I'm having a problem with model master enamel semi gloss whites to where either it lays down orange peel or it shoots out to where it looks like water and obviously making a mess. I don't have this issue with any other color. I've tried multiple thinner ratios and ran pressure anywhere from 20-32 psi. What am I missing?
Unread December 21st, 2014, 08:34 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Recommend using flat white and just use Future to give it a gloss shine. The only white I will spray is flat white, if I need it to be gloss I just brush Future on it.

What thinner are you using?
Unread December 22nd, 2014, 07:58 AM
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby!

If you do a flat white and a gloss clear coat, let the white cure for a couple of days. If the white isn't completely cured, the gloss coat might stop drying process & cause the white to yellow. This depends on a host of factors mainly ambient temperature and humidity when you spray. Doesn't happen often, but when it does your pretty much screwed. You'll have to strip and redo. (Sure go ahead & ask how I know this. )

If you want to spray gloss white, thin it 50% paint & 50% thinner and build it up in several light coats. After you've got good coverage & it's fully dry, lightly polish the painted surface with plastic polish. This will get rid of the orange peal & yield a nice toned down shinny coat. For parts you can't polish i.e. missiles, landing gear, wheel bays etc. Go back & spray a white coat of 25% white & 75% thinner. This solvent heavy application will settle out any orange peal on the surface.

HTH!

"Stupidity is like nuclear power! It can be used for good or evil, and you donít want to get any on you." Dilbert.

Flag Plot: My virtual model display shelf
Unread December 22nd, 2014, 12:52 PM

Model Master "Classic White" in the car color enamel line is an EXCELLENT gloss white paint. I thin it with standard hardware-store variety lacquer thinner, about 50-50, and spray light coats at about 25-30 psi on the regulator and it lays down in a very nice, smooth finish. It also has good coverage, and is a bright, "white" white. I used it for the invasion stripes on this kit; it's pretty much my "go-to" white paint:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=80fc1cf74b
Unread December 27th, 2014, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the tips guys I'll give it a shot!