Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Freedom Model Kits

Notices

Old March 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Kit Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Chris,

Go ahead.

Perhaps I should ask for an area here on Z5?

If anyone has any wishes though, feel free to send them to me / us at:

FreedommodelkitsATgmailDOTcom

Cheers,

Martin

THIS ^^^

Martin

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freed...32469846768673
Old March 28th, 2015, 07:06 PM

This is great news. I am happy to see someone releasing this kit. Its funny because I just bought the monogram kit recently and I was planning on rescribing it this month while I am on TDY in Japan. So all I can say is I plan to put the scriber down and instead use my credit card and get a few of your kits for my stash.
I do however hope to see that your company will release the kit with the famous red and white scheme.
Please le us know when we may expect to see the kit on hobby shop shelves.
Old March 29th, 2015, 01:20 AM

Gotta work on the price-point & distribution issues, too. For example, I've yet to find an X-47 kit for reasonable retail (based on modern tooling, complexity, etc. parameters), for whatever the reason... in a large metro area in US. If this is widespread, it certainly must be a damper on sales. Airfix has set a good standard, though availability is still an issue for them.
Regards, Robert

Last edited by rbeach84; March 29th, 2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: clarity
Old March 29th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Kit Manufacturer

Hi guys,
Thanks for the support.
Robert, the X-47B was the first release as you know and we didn't get everything right first time. I hope that we are learning fast though.
Please bear with us whilst we navigate the minefield of selling and producing.

Martin

Old March 29th, 2015, 03:00 PM

When may we expect to see the kit released? I would like to echo the sentiments of our other members that your kits are not easy to find at reasonable prices. I hope distribution won't be an issue this time. I am looking to see your products on hobby shop shelves soon.
Old March 29th, 2015, 03:09 PM
What is accuracy anyway?

Martin,
Your freshman effort is an outstanding model! With the available intel on it, how much better could it have been? I liked the lack of stuff in the wheel wells and the weapons bay but how could they have been any better with no info. There are a couple areas that I didn't like; I don't like folded up wings so, the attachment where the wings go was a but tedious but shoot, not beyond any modeler's ability to make nice. The other place that needed LOTS more info is the Nose Gear, IMHO. Those two areas only need moderate work to look really nice. The wheelwells well, need a lot of imagination to come up with a few things that might logically be there. LOTS of wiring, and piping, and boxes, and, and, and... Well you get the idea I'll bet.

F-20A, well, if it exceeds your first effort that will be wonderful, if it exceeds Monograms F-20A, it will be Magnificent! But really, the only thing most people don't like about the Monogram kit is the "raised panel lines." Personally, I like the fact that I would have a choice to have them anyway I wanted them. Panel lines are really a subject that each modeler must determine. No panel lines on most models would be better for me, modelers likely don't want to scribe them in completely or like Paul Budzik does them by cutting them into the paint! I've always thought that would be the best way but mistakes might deter a lot of people. The other obvious place would be the two different canopy's. Now was the cockpit opening different betwixed the two different canopy's or was it the same. If different then, the spine would need an insert, and two canopies, yes? I don't know the answer but I'm sure a few experts would... Sorry for the quality but it is a scan of an old picture, but it looks like a spine insert would get this done easily

post images

I look forward to each new release and hope you, teach those major model manufactures a thing or two down the road!

Just a couple .
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Kit Manufacturer

Hi Larry,
Many thanks for the kindness. I am glad you liked the X-47B. It was, as you rightly say, our first release. I hope we have gained some experience in the process now and I also hope the F-20 will be even better.

Thanks for the scan. I have sent it to our developer in Taiwan.

Great to hear from you and keep those Facebook posts coming - loved you X-47B!

Martin

Old March 30th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Models Martin View Post
Hi guys,
Thanks for the support.
Robert, the X-47B was the first release as you know and we didn't get everything right first time. I hope that we are learning fast though.
No worries; just wish I could find one... a club-mate built one and enjoyed it.
Regards, Robert
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:34 PM
What is accuracy anyway?

Robert, Sprue Bros. has it in stock!
http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/fmk18001.htm

Cheers

Larry
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:42 AM

Default Thoughts on subject selection

Quote:
Hi guys,
Thanks for the support.
Martin, while reading the Fine Scale Modeler review of the X-47 kit (again!) this morning and contemplating this conversation, I wondered 'why not an 1/48 scale X-29?' Certainly it *hasn't* been done before in 1/48, is well documented, the right 'size' & scope (apparently - fighter sized), is attractive, unusual & is a significant aviation 'specimen' as a FSW tech demonstrator. I personally (as I'm sure many folks do) have a 'modelers' image archive taken at the USAF Museum for reference to aid the effort. So, what do you think? If you like the weird & wonderful, there is great deal of opportunities not yet addressed in 1/48 scale. What about all the 'flying brick' lifting body X-planes made by (yes!) Martin-Marietta? These all have attractive features, interesting histories and lo! haven't previously been kitted (Collectaire doesn't really count being 1) out of production and 2) *very* limited production... plus, very challenging to build due to the erratic engineering.)

Just some thoughts for you. Cheers!
Regards, Robert
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:55 AM
Kit Manufacturer

Hi again Robert.
I never said no

Now, please don't take that as any kind of notification that an X-29 is on the cards. I am not ruling it out either.
You may know that experimental and test subjects are my personal favourite items.

However, at present the most voracious market is in China hence the fact that we must appeal to them foremost. I am sorry but we don't have the money to be choosy about what we make. YET!

Once sales are looking good and the sales process and pricing strategy is honed better then we will start to look at some nice kits that we in the EU and the Americas would like. There are some exciting ideas being suggested and we will definitely look at those.
We just ask that you have some patience whilst we build the brand.
In all honesty, it is more important for us to listen to our customers as "you" are "us". We are modellers and we also have our own "wants list". But slowly slowly catchee monkey as they say.
Now, please please don't expect any of the following items to be in our release schedule but this list is my wish list so you know where I would like to be in a few years to come.
If another manufacturer comes out with these then I am just as happy to be honest.

My personal wants list:

X-29 1/48
X-32 1/48
X-40A 1/48
SU-17-22 1/48
SU-32 1/48
Sukhoi Superjet 100 1/72
SU-T-49 1/48
Super King Air series 1/48

Now as I said, please don't read into this list. I am not saying one way or another. Just that this is MY list.

Martin

Last edited by Freedom Models Martin; April 1st, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:58 AM

Demand for kits in China!? Interesting... because of the language barrier, it is rare to hear from the modeling brethren in PRC... what sort of subjects do they find interesting? Perhaps others do, too! I know I would like to see some historical and current PRC AF subjects - perhaps done accurately for a change!(?) How's interest in the space program?
R/ Robert
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:46 PM
Kit Manufacturer

I believe that the main problem is that the Chinese authorities ban things like FaceBook and some websites especially from English speaking countries (read western / democratic).

The Chinese have a huge thirst for models and I mean huge.

Martin

Old April 10th, 2015, 11:42 AM

I dont know how far you are with this kit but some good info is in number 25 World Air Power Journal summer 1996. For instance the first was a F-5G with the F-5 canopy and flat nose. The second and third where with the full blown canopy and the "fat" F-16 style nose.

About choosing a prototype as your second kit. Maybe a lot less interest but also a lot less competion! This, I believe, is the reason a Chines company beginning with a T sells a a lot. In many cases the only game in town!!!
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:

The Chinese have a huge thirst for models and I mean huge.

Who knew???

I close my eyes, and I can see "The more you know" shooting star
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Kit Manufacturer

Thanks Kokkie,
In fact we are at the moulding stage now.

Research done

Martin

Old May 7th, 2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Hi again Robert.
I never said no

Now, please don't take that as any kind of notification that an X-29 is on the
My personal wants list:

X-29 1/48
X-32 1/48
X-40A 1/48
SU-17-22 1/48
SU-32 1/48
Sukhoi Superjet 100 1/72
SU-T-49 1/48
Super King Air series 1/48

Now as I said, please don't read into this list. I am not saying one way or another. Just that this is MY list.
Nice list, the King Air would be a welcome addition. So would a 1/48 Twin Otter!
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary "Scooby" Fairfull View Post
Nice list, the King Air would be a welcome addition. So would a 1/48 Twin Otter!
Oh, I don't know what I'd do if a twotter in 1/48 came along.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagap View Post
Oh, I don't know what I'd do if a twotter in 1/48 came along.
With the re-birth of the airframe and the worldwide use I'd love to see a Twin Otter too. And it is civil and military.
Old May 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Yes, a Twotter would be nice! I have a 1/48 model that is a "solid" (big hunk of cast plastic) that is nice but will require serious "plastic surgery" to add an interior. I think I'll do a magic trick (saw in half) and clean out all that space. Got it from 'Modelmaam' on eBay with some Golden Knights decals, if I recall correctly...
R/ Robert