Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Freedom Model Kits

Notices

Old March 18th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Fair point Jeff. I hope we get it right for you next time
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hi Mike,

The X-47B was also quite a good seller and this has helped us get into the position we are in now.

We didn't have access to the gear bays nor the weapons bay (I believe they're full of electronics and testing stuff anyway).

I'll try to do better
They are. The flight test instrumentation is installed in the "weapons" bays - the doors to those bays don't even have hinges; they're bolted on for flight. The X-47 will, in all likelihood, never even attempt to carry anything other than test instrumentation. That wasn't the design purpose - they were intended to demonstrate an unmanned vehicle launching and landing on an aircraft carrier, which was successfully accomplished.

Right now, there is no guarantee that the follow-on UCLASS will even be built, let alone look like an X-47 in any way.
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Internet Hero

Oh ya?

BUT WHAT would Chuck say?

http://youtu.be/6BDgQwlfHII

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Avid Kit Starter

I'm excited about this release! My uncle worked for Northrop back in the F-20 days and had lots of stories about it. It was his favorite. He HATED the Hornet!

We lost him to ALS a lot of years ago (so many, I've now forgotten) but any time I see the F-20, I think of him.

So from someone who really likes the Tigershark, all the very best with this release Martin and Co. I really hope it does well for you.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Die-Hard Yankees Fan

Well i just happen to have said monogram kit and would be willing to trade it.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:22 AM

I think this is an excellent choice, and will undoubtedly be a big seller. I'll be adding one to my pile for sure. And for all of the haters out there, don't forget that the F-20 is also featured in the game Ace Combat, so this jet may have a broader appeal than anyone here may realize.
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Sierra Hotel Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens H. Brandal View Post
The Monogram kit is fairly good, but it does not accurately represent the red and white first prototype. If this kit will do that, then they will have an edge on the competition as I guess a lot of modellers being interested in Northrop's last "budget-fighter" will want to make that one - I know I will.

Jens
It’s a lot better than “fairly good” as Monogram nailed the shape. Granted it’s raised panel lines, but still one of their best 48th jet kits. This new F-20 kit has a lot more to achieve over the Monogram kit than just including an F-5 canopy. If they do, then more power to them.

As I recall the only issue was the Monogram F-20 is that the #1 prototype did not have the F-5 canopy, which Monogram didn’t include. Wasn’t that hard a fix as I got one from a Monogram F-5E kit. Other than that, the F-20 prototypes are pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hi Mike,
Appreciate the comments. I know that everyone has their list of favourites and perhaps this might not be your bag. I hope we will hit it next release.
The X-47B was our first release

The X-47B was also quite a good seller and this has helped us get into the position we are in now.

We have some huge plans and so far things seem to be working out quite well. There is, believe it or not, a master plan.
Whether it works or not remains to be seen of course.

Hopefully our future plans will be better received

Cheers,

Martin

Oh, Mike, PS the landing gear was different almost everytime the X-47B went up. We based the gear on photos we had so the kit was created based upon test photos on a given day. We didn't have access to the gear bays nor the weapons bay (I believe they're full of electronics and testing stuff anyway).

I'll try to do better
I did get one X-47 kit, but gave it away to a friend in the program. Overall the X-47 kit was decent; but the F-20 will be more complex as I'm sure you know. I really like the subject, but having built 2 already and a few more in the stash, I like many others are just not that jazzed about it.

I hope you guys get a major hit with the F-20, but it's not the best subject to debut with. Like I said, there's a lot better and more significant subjects that could have been done; my Point all along.

In regards to the X-47; I do have some background in the program. I was started on the X-47 program right after I retired from the AF, but left shortly after to be a consultant for Bae Mojave; in preparation for the QF-16 bid.

I knew the maintenance manager on the X-47 program quite well and one of the things we talked about in length was the landing gear. I also used to work with one of the civilians on the program and he really knew the aircraft; having been a former Navy Tomcat and Hornet maintainer. I asked if the nose gear was basically the Super Hornet nose gear and the mains from the Tomcat and he confirmed. He also said that same gear held up quite well during the PAX River landings.

Having witnessed the X-47 when it first got here to Edwards as it stayed at our F-22 facility for a while, the gear never changed. I was also directly supported the aircraft for taxi test and other flight tests and during that time the landing gear remained the same. I did see some brake mods (internal) and strut rebuilds (lighter metering pins), but nothing that was significantly different structurally and certainly was not different every time the drone went up. I will check back with my contacts to double check.

Mike V
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Regular schmoe...

Just toss a Bee on it...boom! Instant seller.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Old March 19th, 2015, 11:35 AM

I'm not a hater, but I kind of view the F-20 as I do the F-16XL, kind of an anamoly. I wish Martin the best in his sales, but for how many other great jets that actually served that have never been done before, the choice may be disappointing in initial sales, as they only had 2 sets of markings IIRC. Personally, I'm just not a fan of WHIF markings when so many real birds have yet to see the light of day. Just my opinion...

Jeff
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Thank you everyone for the support and best wishes.

Mike / Jeff, If you guys have some serious "wants" then feel free to let me know.
I can be reached lurking here or via email to;

freedommodelkitsATgmailDOTcom

Obviously change the address to @ and the .

Ideas are always welcome. The thing is that we are willing to listen and adapt. Like I said earlier, there is a reason why we chose these subjects. Future ideas and possible releases are more mainstream.

We were drawing a T-37 in 1/48. But I understand that is further along with another manufacturer.

Cheers,

Martin
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:51 PM

Thought I'd post these here:

IIRC Pakistan was offered the A-7 then the F-20 which they rejected in favor of vipers
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Very interesting...never seen those pics before cch4530. I suppose those would be an option in the kit. The F-20 would look great in the Pakistani AF camouflage scheme too.

Jens
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:49 AM

I know I'll be adding one to my stash. So many new kits coming out of jets/helos that were either non-existent or oop. It's a rather exciting time for some of us.
As far as suggestions, how about a 1/48 Mi-8/17 family? Talk about endless possibilities!
Old March 24th, 2015, 04:55 PM

I'm a sucker for test and experimental jets as you know.

If and I mean IF we do any rotary wing stuff then I am sure that Mil will be on the cards.
Are there any sites for Russian test or experimental / evaluation squadrons?

Seriously though, send me some wants by email and I will forward them on. No promises but I will send them for consideration by the team.
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch4530 View Post
Thought I'd post these here:

IIRC Pakistan was offered the A-7 then the F-20 which they rejected in favor of vipers
Pakistan pretty much got the F-20 when they developed the JF-17.

On a side note, I had no idea the first two proto types crashed, killing the pilots (S. Korea & Goose Bay Canada)

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!

Last edited by Whitey; March 24th, 2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Avid Kit Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyG View Post
I'm excited about this release! My uncle worked for Northrop back in the F-20 days and had lots of stories about it. It was his favorite. He HATED the Hornet!

We lost him to ALS a lot of years ago (so many, I've now forgotten) but any time I see the F-20, I think of him.

So from someone who really likes the Tigershark, all the very best with this release Martin and Co. I really hope it does well for you.
Just checked up on my Tigershark history and I seem to have gotten my facts wrong - I said Hornet, but as I understand it, the F/A-18 was never in competition with the F-20. It was the F-16 that seems to have been more responsible for its demise.

Maybe I'm thinking about the performance specs in comparison to the Hornet. Either way, a fascinating bit of history about designs, politics, export practices of the time, and the overall world market. Someone should write a book about this time period!

But, I digress...

Bring on the model!
Old March 25th, 2015, 01:43 AM
Lose sight,lose the fight

I really enjoyed te X-47B. I'll be posting my finish pics on the flight line soon. I'd love to see a 1/48 SU-34.
Old March 25th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Well I am excited even though I have one of the Monogram kits. I have in my ebay favourite searches the F-20 and whenever it comes up it goes for stupid money or more than I was willing to pay including shipping to Canada.

Now with this pending release I can stop searching and pick up the new release. I should probably build them side by side to get it out of my system too

You know with all of the suggestions to Martin maybe I should start a new thread with a wish list for Freedom Models. Would make it easier and all in one place too.

Cheers
Chris
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
I really enjoyed te X-47B. I'll be posting my finish pics on the flight line soon. I'd love to see a 1/48 SU-34.

Yes please, nomnomnom.

Old March 26th, 2015, 05:34 PM

Chris,

Go ahead.

Perhaps I should ask for an area here on Z5?

If anyone has any wishes though, feel free to send them to me / us at:

FreedommodelkitsATgmailDOTcom

Cheers,

Martin