Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Armor

Notices

Unread June 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Default Behold the Elefant!

Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant (Sd.Kfz. 184) 2.Kp.Isch.Pzjg.Abt.653, SE Poland – August 1944.

Finished today is my Trumpeter “Elefant” in 1/72 scale (#07204). This is an operational vehicle depicted from the 653rd Heavy Tank Destroyer Battalion, with weathering and decals to depict a machine in Poland in late summer 1944. 2 Company was formed as a consolidated Elefant unit from usable machines located in that area, and had a total strength of 12 on hand at that time.

The kit goes together well, and was one of the first Trumpeter armor kits released in 2003. Included are the correct photoetched brass parts for the updated Elefant engine grilles, and a somewhat complicated track system. (I timed it as about 104 minutes per side to assemble the tracks) The antenna was added, and the “221” translates, I believe, to 2 Company/2 Platoon/Vehicle 1. Really quite a fun build, with an enjoyable painting and weathering experience.

Only one 1:1 Elefant remains today. Enjoy!

Adam

Unread April 18th, 2015, 02:38 PM

...Currently building the 1/35 Italeri kit of this, and only now realising how bare that it is!

Unread June 28th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Finally complete is my 1/35 Elefant Sd.Kfz.184 by Italeri. This depicts a late war vehicle of 653rd Heavy Panzerjäger Battalion in Germany. As many know, the Italeri kit is from the 70's and has some age related issues to be fixed, but perhaps the biggest difference was the addition of a metal barrel for the 88mm gun and metal tow plates. There are a few other add-ons to finish it all up, namely a home made flag, the addition of the Tamiya zimmerit, and the trees and broken logs on the front glacis plate. I very much enjoyed this build as it seemed to get better as it went on! (not always like that) Everything seemed to flow very well and by the time we reached the final airbrush work, the mighty Grex TG came through a dream. Enjoy the Elefant!

Unread June 28th, 2015, 07:31 PM
S/F not just a saying

Very nice.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread July 5th, 2015, 08:34 PM

nice job! well done, where did that nazi flag from that you have laying on the top of the turret?

Tags
184, 653, elefant, trumpeter