Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread October 21st, 2017, 04:13 PM

The J and the S had the same RIO panel AFAIK
Unread October 21st, 2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picknpluck View Post
The J and the S had the same RIO panel AFAIK
According to the ZM concept notes, which have schematics of both the J and S pits, front and back, they are showing them being very different. Now I'm really confused and at this point I'm going to stop work on the cockpit until I can get this sorted out......Dave Roof I need your help!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread October 21st, 2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGF15Guy View Post
According to the ZM concept notes, which have schematics of both the J and S pits, front and back, they are showing them being very different. Now I'm really confused and at this point I'm going to stop work on the cockpit until I can get this sorted out......Dave Roof I need your help!
Ok Fellas,
Been doing some research to try to find out what rear IP should be used on my build......and this is what I've found:

Aircraft 153071 through 158354 have the IP panel that the ZM kit recommends for the F-4J. The serial number of Showtime 100 was 155800

Aircraft 158355 and up have the IP panel that the ZM kit recommends for the F-4S. This IP panel is included in the ZM kit.

So I think I've got the right IP panel according to the site I visited. The site also has schematics for both the front and rear IP's and shows the difference.
Here is the website that I visited:
http://aviation.watergeek.eu/f4j-panel.html

Let me know if I'm headed in the right direction.
Thanks

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread October 21st, 2017, 11:42 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGF15Guy View Post
Ok Fellas,
Been doing some research to try to find out what rear IP should be used on my build......and this is what I've found:

Aircraft 153071 through 158354 have the IP panel that the ZM kit recommends for the F-4J. The serial number of Showtime 100 was 155800

Aircraft 158355 and up have the IP panel that the ZM kit recommends for the F-4S. This IP panel is included in the ZM kit.

So I think I've got the right IP panel according to the site I visited. The site also has schematics for both the front and rear IP's and shows the difference.
Here is the website that I visited:
http://aviation.watergeek.eu/f4j-panel.html

Let me know if I'm headed in the right direction.
Thanks
Good deal Brad. I just ordered FB's "Black Bunny" set and that jet is 153783.
Unread October 22nd, 2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-15ERJ145 View Post
Good deal Brad. I just ordered FB's "Black Bunny" set and that jet is 153783.
You're gonna really like this kit.....it's not perfect, but it's been a really fun build so far! I just went out and visited the Furball site and saw the Black Bunny sheet, should be great to work with! Can't wait to see it Chris!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread November 11th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Well she starting to look like a Phantom......pit and the engines are in, bottom and top fuselage are sealed up and the front and mid glass is in. Have all of my putty seams checked for correctness so I should be putting paint on this really soon.

I uses some colored resin that is translucent for the navigation lights. I've used them on some of my F-15 builds and I think they look much better than painting them on. Once I get them shinned up with a coat of clear.

Also got some work done on the canopies. I used the Hypersonic Models Canopy Details set. This set was designed for the Hasegawa kits, but after some measuring and some very careful cutting I was able to make everything fit.

That's it for now. I hope to get some paint on this beast and starting working on some of the flaps, slats and gear doors for my next post.
Thanks for looking.

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread November 12th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Triple Threat

The RIOs IP the OP used is correct for 5800. Earlier J models had a hybrid sort of rear panels. They had the upper panels similar to the B model yet the port radar tuning/test breaker & lower, forward panel as the later J/S types & the radar scope was for the J after AN/AGW-10/B radars were retrofitted to the original lead nose Js (they were initially delivered without radars or ECM suites in '67) & later ones coming off the line in St. Louis that received them similar to the S. The RIO also had the radar scope "joy stick" in the same location as the B/N on the starboard side. Later block Js & earlier retrofits had an almost identical cockpit setup as the S. Further I don't recall 5800 as having kills on the port splitter plate prior to the 10 May '72 sortie & it never made it back to the boat after its historic triple Mig kill mission to have any Mig kill markings applied anyway. Can anyone clarify this? I apologize in advance if I'm incorrect.

S/F,
Masterguns

Retired US Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant (E-9) with 30 years of service. Semper Fidelis, Semper Porro.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
Ronald Reagan

Last edited by MSgt; November 17th, 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Unread November 13th, 2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
The RIOs IP the OP used is correct for 5800. Earlier J models had a hybrid sort of rear panels. They had the upper panels similar to the B model yet the port radar tuning/test breaker & lower, forward panel as the later J/S types & the radar scope was for the J after AN/AGW-10/B radars were retrofitted to the original lead nose Js & later ones coming off the line in St. Louis that received them similar to the S. The RIO also had the radar scope "joy stick" in the same location as the B/N on the starboard side. Later block Js & earlier retrofits had an almost identical cockpit setup as the S. Further I don't recall 5800 as having kills prior to the 10 May '72 sortie & it never made it back to the boat to have any Mig kill markings applied. Can anyone clarify this? I apologize in advance if I'm incorrect.

S/F,
Masterguns
Thanks for the feedback Gunny, I really appreciate it. After I decided to do Showtime 100 I started to see a lot of different opinions about wether 5800 had the MiG Kill markings or not. And after that I ran across Matt Waki's print and his research showed that 5800 did not have the MiG-21 silhouette painted in the black tri-angle on the vertical stab. Instead he was saying that it had two NVA flag "kill Markings" on the port side splitter plate instead. He also explains what the correct loadout should be.
I'm glad I ran across this print, because there are very conflicted points of view about the markings and loadout!
Thanks again for your help and service to our country!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread November 13th, 2017, 09:01 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

Did you order their C/D yet?
Unread November 14th, 2017, 10:03 AM

Hey Chris,
Not yet but I'm going to order a couple of them when I do.....waiting for year end bonus!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C