Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > The Toolbox

Notices

Unread January 18th, 2017, 01:01 PM

Question Sharpening No. 11 blades at home

I would like to know what kind of sharpening stone to use for sharpening No.11 hobby blades?

I found a listing for Black Surgical Arkansas stones on Ebay. Has anyone used this and how is it? Black Surgical Arkansas stone

Right now I am using a grey stone from Harbor Freight, but it does not seem to make the blades "sharp enough".

Any suggestions (links) on what is a good stone to get?

Thanks

Scott

P.S.
PLEASE don't reply with "just buy new blades".
Unread January 18th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Avid Kit Starter

Just buy new... Ha!

This got me thinking - those blades are very sharp, like razor blade sharp. What do folks use to sharpen razor blades? My only thought was of the cut throat razors they use for shaving. And as I recall, they use leather to sharpen 'em. Maybe a paste on the leather as well?

It's a long shot, but does that actually work for the steel in hobby knife blades? Worth trying?
Unread January 19th, 2017, 11:25 AM

Default Sharpening Blades

Yessir, I posted on your post over on ARC. I sharpen my #11 blades. I have an old stone that my granddad gave me. It's a very fine stone. As far as the stone from Harbor Freight, you get what you pay for. Good stones aren't that expensive. You can also use them for other stuff. There is a cutlery company in Grand Rapids, MI that sells anything that has to do with knives. They have some nice steels. They also have a tri-stone sharpening kit that you could use. Just make sure that you get the finest stone possible. If you get one that needs honing oil, don't spend a fortune on "Honing Oil." Go to Walmart or any such store and get a bottle of Mineral Oil. For a couple of bucks, you'll have enough to last for years. Good Luck