Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > The Toolbox

Notices

Unread January 14th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Default Using kit rubber tires

I apologise in advance if this has been covered...

I have rubber tires in Hasegawa's 1/48th Tomcat. Apart from setting them alight and buying resin updates, is there any way that these can be used effectively and convincingly.
If not, how does one actually use them?

Cheers all
Unread January 14th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Avid Kit Starter

I've heard they're not bad. But only for as long as they last. Apparently they have a nasty tendency to degrade over time and do one (or all) of the following:

• Leave nasty oily marks on whatever surface you place the model on
  • Crack, crumble and do nasty perishing plasticy things that soft plastic/rubber/vinyl can do
I'm sure there are other things as well. I am, after all, only reporting what I've heard and have no first hand experience in such things.

I did buy the Wheeliant wheels for the B model, as I recall. Either because I was "AfterMarket Drunk" (yes, that's a thing) or because I wanted to steer away from the soft, included tyres. Take that for what it's worth.
Unread January 14th, 2015, 09:39 PM

I don't have experience with them either but noticed they just don't look realistic. Not that their misshapen but they seem way more shiny than an actual tire. I wonder if people have been dull-coating them with petroleum based laquer. Seems like that might accelerate the breakdown of the rubber, or whatever it's made of.
Unread January 15th, 2015, 06:44 AM

When I build model cars I usually scuff up the tread portion of the tires with some coarse sandpaper. It kills the shine and makes the tires look like they've been used for awhile. I've only had one occasion where the kit rubber tires "degenerated" and that was an AMT Grumman F7F. Many of my built kits have been sitting on the shelf for 25 years with no ill effects.
Wayne
Unread January 15th, 2015, 08:07 AM

I used acrylic dullcoat on exactly those wheels on my A-19B and I thought they turned out nicely. I don't know about long term. But one nice feature is that when you set the model down on rubber tires it sets down gently and doesn't slide around as much.

Recently completed:
1:72 X-47B, 1:72 P-51D, 1:72 F-2XL, 1:35 Triceratops, 1:72 A-4M, 1:72 Yak-55M, 1:72 JAS-39C Gripen
On the bench:
1:32 A6M5 Zero, 1:72 Skyhawks, 1:72 MQ-9 Reaper, 1:24 Harrier GR.1, 1:72 B-24D, 1:144 Space Shuttle
Unread January 15th, 2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyG View Post
because I was "AfterMarket Drunk" (yes, that's a thing) or because I wanted to steer away from the soft, included tyres. Take that for what it's worth.
Haha Micky, is that when you've had a few to drink and start irresponsibly purchasing aftermarket stuff online!? Because I am truly guilty of this, however will toast to it

Thanks for all the advice gents, I did think about scuffing them up but I was concerned that they would crack... Worst case scenario, put them on, if they break, replace them with a resin option.
Unread January 15th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Avid Kit Starter

Sounds like a great plan!

And no, it's when you're so giddy about all the options for your already stupidly expensive kit, that you start buying more and more aftermarket stuff. Sometimes whilst laughing like a crazed maniac.

Or so I've been told...
Unread January 17th, 2015, 06:25 AM

Oh