Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Centennial of Naval Aviation GB > List of Sponsors

Notices

Unread December 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Slacker Action

Send a message via Skype™ to Spaced
Default Best OOTB Award

Dave Barclay- Tomcat_tweeker is sponsoring the "Best Out Of The Box" Award for the build.

Prize will be a "A hornet or Cat with as much AM I can scrounge".

Thank you Dave for the generous sponsorship!

So, for this one, the kit must be built with no after market goodies, save decals if you wish. Tape seat belts are ok too.
Unread February 3rd, 2011, 02:33 AM
I've seen things...

Will some detailing, say with bits of plastic card, and some wiring be allowed. No major scratchbuilding, just like wires in the gear bays, plastic card blade antennas, stuff like that?
Unread February 3rd, 2011, 03:22 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

But Daniel, if you allow detailing this, adding bits here, then you're not strictly modelling out of the box. I believe the IPMS have out of the box rules that are sensible, even if they are not everybody's cup of tea. Aftermarket decals are generally allowed as kit decals may spoil the looks and to avoid too many "samey" models. Home made seatbelts(as in not Eduard photoetech) and rigging plus wire aerials are also considered OK too. No other details, but you are allowed to refine what comes in the box. Drilling out holes and gun barrels is fine.

Jens
Unread February 3rd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I've seen things...

Right, but since this more informal, I was just wondering what we'd allow. But if the standard IPMS rules apply, then no worries.
Unread February 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Well, I was only making the suggestion of IPMS rules to interpret the criteria for an OOTB build, but my word is by no means the law. Still, if you allow adding detail that doesn't come in the box, then that is really not built straight from the box.

Jens
Unread February 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM

There was a article in extreme modeling one time of a "out of the box" build...using some rules from a contest over in Japan. Basicly, you can use anything as long as it was "in the box"...that includes the box, instructions, etc.

The article was on how he converted a panther D into a bergpanther...superglue impregnated instruction sheet, streched sprue, carved details from the sprue...even made cable! It was insane...

just bring it up for a bit of comparison as the topic of what "out of the box" means. I think IPMS rules are appopriate, and the standard.
Andy
Unread February 12th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to tomcat_tweeker

Guy's.. My intent of this was to get folks that just wanna build something for fun and give them a chance to improve their basic modeling skills.... Like painting and weathering etc. Lets face it. Some of us just don't have the skills that a lot of folks around here do... And it can be quite intimidating to some... So when there is "Prizes" offered, it may put off some folks from joining because the "Guru's" are gonna rake in all the prizes.... Now there is something for everyone.... And the winner just might be feeling good enough to tackle a more challenging build....

Now having said that.... I think we should restrict some folks from entering this category... I don't want an exceptional builder to enter just to win some cool stuff.... I hope folks will "police themselves” in this regard....

Oh!! And one more thing… To hell with Kit accuracy as well.. For example... If it looks like a Tomcat… Then build it!!!

Will, Please let me know if I’m outta line here…

Thanks
Dave