Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Ordnance and Things under Wings

Notices

Old January 24th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
IIRC you are doing a VF-21 birds, I would recommend a 4x4x0 load. From what I hear the west coast guys seemed to love that load out for some reason.

But a 3x2x2 load out would also be just as accurate as a 4x4x0 load.

It was always fun to pay "deconfigure/reconfigure" and "musical Weapons Rails" switching from 3x2x2 to 4x4x0 and back, it just stressed* you out.

*Stress - The inability to choke the living shit out of some asshole who direly deserves it.
Interesting as well...On another note, I saw a pic today with a Phoenix on the starboard glove pylon, and Sparrow on the port, and sidewinders. I'm assuming empty Phoenix pallets. I kinda like that asymmetric look and may go with that.
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by picknpluck View Post
Interesting as well...On another note, I saw a pic today with a Phoenix on the starboard glove pylon, and Sparrow on the port, and sidewinders. I'm assuming empty Phoenix pallets. I kinda like that asymmetric look and may go with that.
Yes, if you put a Phoenix on the wing you had to have either a Phoenix or Bomb rail (weapons rail configured with either a Phoenix launcher or a BRU-32 bomb rack) on the forward belly station.

If you have a Phoenix on the left wing the following weapons rail configuration is required;

Weapons Rails and Phoenix Fairings (the fairings forward of the rails) must be installed. In addition, an "Umbilical Bridge" must be installed (item #5 in this drawing; https://patentimages.storage.googlea...S3771416-1.png )

If you have a Phoenix on the right wing you only need the right belly weapons rail but I've never seen a plane fly in this configuration, we always flew with at least two on the front or nothing at all.

For the umbilical bridge, this was required whenever you had Phoenix's on the wings or when the aft weapon rails were installed, the umbilical bridge provided electrical power and coolant to the wing station and electrical power to the aft weapon rail stations (this goes for bomb rails also).

It was possible to fly with just the Phoenix Fairing before 90/91 and with just the weapons rails (no Phoenix Fairings) before the mid 80's, after those dates FITWING put a stop to those configurations.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.

Last edited by GW8345; January 24th, 2017 at 09:57 PM.