Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Freedom Model Kits

Notices

Old March 17th, 2015, 03:40 PM

Default Freedom Model Kits F-20A Tigershark 1/48

Hi everyone,

Freedom Model Kits announce a new tool F-20A in 1/48.

Ready for general release in June or July this year. This is the first of a few planned releases to come.

Check in here for the renders:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freed...32469846768673
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Default Freedom Model Kits F-20A Tigershark 1/48

Like we need another F-20 Kit; really?
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hi everyone,

Freedom Model Kits announce a new tool F-20A in 1/48.

Ready for general release in June or July this year. This is the first of a few planned releases to come.

Check in here for the renders:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freed...32469846768673

For you guys, I hope it does really well. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for me. Only three were built and it was never operational.

Looking forward to hearing about what you have coming next.
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Fox Mulder's Soul brother

That should be OK alongside the Skunk XL Viper...
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:55 PM

I like it!

I don't get all the negativity at all. There are two kits as far as I know of the F-20A, one in 48th and one in 72nd, and both are very old and outdated.

I will likely buy one when it is released. It'd make a great addition to my shelf.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

It's not that most of us don't like the F-20, cuz I do, but I am perfectly content with the most accurate Monogram edition.

The point is, why debut with a "prototype or one-off" that NEVER went into production??
There's very little market or options for such a subject other than "what-if". Unless you're into "what-if" fictional modern jets, then it does not appeal that much. Most modelers just don't get into that "What if" modeling. I know I don't.

They would have been much better off debuting that will sell well and is in the "interest of most modern military aircraft modelers". Why not a better AV-8 Harrier since Hasegawa dicked up the wings, or a more accurate F-5E or early A-7A/B?

Breaking into the market with a one-off/prototype is just naivete.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Die-Hard Yankees Fan

Just think..... they could be making boat loads of money doing an accurate F-16 B/D in 48th. Just saying.
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Internet Hero

F-20 is a poor choice for breaking into the market? Like an X-47B or a French Navy Frigat are better ones?

Maybe these aren't poor choices, but execution of a sound business plan we don't have privy to.

Posted the one scale modeling geek to all the others posting who have run secessfull injection moulded scale model companies, NEVER

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:04 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Yea it is. There are a lot better and more practical subjects that could be done.

If that's an "execution of a sound business plan", good luck with that business approach into this hobby. That's just the poor choice of subject planning; we still have no idea what the quality level is going to be, much less the shape accuracy.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I like it!

I don't get all the negativity at all.

Only speaking for myself, I'm not being negative. I simply don't have any interest in the subject. However, I am sure there are plenty of other modelers that are happy with this announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
F-20 is a poor choice for breaking into the market? Like an X-47B or a French Navy Frigat are better ones?

Maybe these aren't poor choices, but execution of a sound business plan we don't have privy to.

Posted the one scale modeling geek to all the others posting who have run secessfull injection moulded scale model companies, NEVER
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Enforcer View Post
Yea it is. There are a lot better and more practical subjects that could be done.

If that's an "execution of a sound business plan", good luck with that business approach into this hobby. That's just the poor choice of subject planning; we still have no idea what the quality level is going to be, much less the shape accuracy.

Simply because you don't agree with their approach, doesn't mean it isn't a good one. As Chris noted above, FMK has more than likely done enough research to feel confident going forward with this release.

As far as not knowing what the quality level or shape accuracy is going to be like..........have you not seen the X-47?

You also have to remember that the 'voices' of modelers on forums such as this are in the vast minority, and that is a fact.

Dave
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Sierra Hotel Models

Come Dave, you think "solely' just because I don't agree with it's not a good approach? get real. That's not why as having worked with various manufactures, the whole prototype subject is risky and not good for initial release or even a later release "especially" when it has been done already; and in this case, quite well. This F-20 release not only has to overcome it's limited appeal as far as options, but it needs to more than best the Monogram kit and be reasonable priced. That's a BOLD undertaking.

The consensus is, break into the market with popular subject, then it's all about quality and now days, accuracy. An F-20 will NOT sell like the typical F-18, F-16, F-4, P-51, P-47, Bf-109; that's just a fact in this industry.

Yes, I've seen the X-47 and though some minor shape issues are there and the landing gear is off, it's decent for a one-off, though that hardly the complexity of the F-20. We shall see.

But, hey it's not my investment and I could really care less whether it fails or not.

Mike V
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Regular schmoe...

Anyone seen a Monogram F-20 kit around lately...for a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-MODELE-...item339f0a6c4f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Monogra...item20f8508167

No?

And when they do pop up on eBay they get bid heavily. (Demand?)

I think they know what they're doing.

Hobbyboss did an F-23 recently didn't they? Caracal did a decal sheet for it that he is having to do another print run on. (Demand)

So, I s'pose whether or not a production run was done doesn't really matter to modelers...YB-35, YB-49, XB-70 etc.

I'll pick one up...now I can use my Monogram F-20 and F-5F to build a "What-If!!" F-20B...prototype scheme but with blue rather than red. It's gonna look sweet.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!

Last edited by Whitey; March 18th, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
An F-20 will NOT sell like the typical F-18, F-16, F-4, P-51, P-47, Bf-109; that's just a fact in this industry.

Mike V
Actually, at the moment this is an opinion and not a fact. As there hasn't been an F-20 kit on the market since the Monogram release, no one knows what its sales potential will be.

Quote:

But, hey it's not my investment and I could really care less whether it fails or not.

Mike V

Nor is it my investment, but I do care if it fails or not. For FMK's sake, I hope it does extremely well. I don't know what they have planned for the future, but solid sales on the F-20 will help them get more kits released. I'm sure one (or more) of those future releases will really be something I'm interested in.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Oompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Anyone seen a Monogram F-20 kit around lately...for a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-MODELE-...item339f0a6c4f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-Monogra...item20f8508167

No?

And when they do pop up on eBay they get bid heavily. (Demand?)

I think they know what they're doing.

Hobbyboss did an F-23 recently didn't they? Caracal did a decal sheet for it that he is having to do another print run on. (Demand)

So, I s'pose whether or not a production run was done doesn't really matter to modelers...YB-35, YB-49, XB-70 etc.

I'll pick one up...now I can use my Monogram F-20 and F-5F to build a "What-If!!" F-20B...prototype scheme but with blue rather than red. It's gonna look sweet.

JESUS EFFIN CHRIST!! I paid less than $10 for that kit as a kid at KMart when it was released..I guess the collectors value on kits like that has gone through the roof.

I always thought the F-20 was cool, but it doesn't interest me enough to buy one. Still, here's hoping it does well for the manufactuer.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
An F-20 will NOT sell like the typical F-18, F-16, F-4, P-51, P-47, Bf-109; that's just a fact in this industry.
So what? It doesn't have to set records; it just has to make money for the company. If their market research says that it will do that, then more power to them.

Their kick-off kit is a two-off, no-more-to-be-built experimental tech demonstrator. From what I've seen, it's been a pretty popular kit - at least popular enough to allow them to plan to release a second kit.
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

The Monogram kit is fairly good, but it does not accurately represent the red and white first prototype. If this kit will do that, then they will have an edge on the competition as I guess a lot of modellers being interested in Northrop's last "budget-fighter" will want to make that one - I know I will.

Jens
Old March 18th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Regular schmoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens H. Brandal View Post
The Monogram kit is fairly good, but it does not accurately represent the red and white first prototype.
Jens
True. I have a Monogram F-5E canopy for mine, the cockpit itself is still a bit bigger (long) but I figure with the canopy in the up position it'll look the part.

I'm guessing there are other differences for the red/white bird too.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Italeri 1/48 DC-130A

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Breaking into the market with a one-off/prototype is just naivete.
Hi Mike,
Appreciate the comments. I know that everyone has their list of favourites and perhaps this might not be your bag. I hope we will hit it next release.
The X-47B was our first release

The X-47B was also quite a good seller and this has helped us get into the position we are in now.

We have some huge plans and so far things seem to be working out quite well. There is, believe it or not, a master plan.
Whether it works or not remains to be seen of course.

Hopefully our future plans will be better received

Cheers,

Martin

Oh, Mike, PS the landing gear was different almost everytime the X-47B went up. We based the gear on photos we had so the kit was created based upon test photos on a given day. We didn't have access to the gear bays nor the weapons bay (I believe they're full of electronics and testing stuff anyway).

I'll try to do better

Last edited by Loki; March 18th, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the support. I hope that other plans in the future will be more exciting or appropriate for the mass market.
As I say though, there is a master plan and our future releases are looking to be very exciting (if I say so myself).
We are quite young as a company and are learning.
At present this F-20 may be slightly delayed due to the amount of help we have just been given by Jens and Drewe et al.

I have spoken to loads of people today including Jim Hatch from LSP.

What I will say though is that we plan to bring the market something that has not yet been achieved.
Although the F-20 was never a production aircraft, it does have quite a following and there are loads of "whif" possibilities.

All I can say though is to watch this space

Regards,

Martin
Old March 18th, 2015, 04:21 PM

I know I'm late to the game, but I agree with most, for a prototype that did squat, do we really need another kit? I'll save my dinero...

Jeff