Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Helicopter Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread May 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Well, I just can't put this project away. Has anyone looked over the Academy NTS boxing? I'm sure the front fuselege and tail boom length issues still remain, but how is the new NTS nose, is it "somewhat" correct? Plus the canopy is already cut to fit the NTS upgrade and it contains the trans. oil cooler blower fan fairing under the fuselege. Wouldn't that be a better starting point the then older kit"? Any opinions? Thanks.
Chuck
Unread May 29th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis252 View Post
Well, I just can't put this project away. Has anyone looked over the Academy NTS boxing? I'm sure the front fuselege and tail boom length issues still remain, but how is the new NTS nose, is it "somewhat" correct? Plus the canopy is already cut to fit the NTS upgrade and it contains the trans. oil cooler blower fan fairing under the fuselege. Wouldn't that be a better starting point the then older kit"? Any opinions? Thanks.
Chuck
All of the dimension issues remain the same in the NTS boxing. The nose is incorrect as well and it does not include the correct cockpit. Unfortunately, the Cobra Company cockpit is also incorrect for the NTS birds.

Simply put, we just need a new kit. I have offered everything I have on the AH-1W to two different model companies and neither seemed interested. Maybe I should contact Hasegawa next!

Dave
Unread May 29th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Hey Dave, I think you just really sumed it up. However, I'm gonna try to find and get hold of a NTS kit, add WW turned exhaust, stretch the tail boom, maybe the rear of the fuselege as you described, do what I can with the cockpit and call it a Whiskey Cobra! Just a shame about that canopy. But it is what it is.
Chuck
Unread June 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Hey SuperCobra, picking up an Academy NTS Cobra the first of the week and really gonna see what I can do with this "thang". LOL Have you had a chance to work on some pics for the tweaks list? Do you have drawings scaled to 1/35th scale?
Chuck
Unread August 25th, 2011, 02:12 AM

DAMMIT!!
I should have read this thread before stretching the fuselages with the infamous 4.8 Evrgreen strip. Oh well, I have five more Cobras to work on!

Dave and SuperCobra have you ever completed the twek drawings? I'd be very interesded in them.

As for the canopy I'm still working on it (I won't quit).
Unread August 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avus View Post
DAMMIT!!
I should have read this thread before stretching the fuselages with the infamous 4.8 Evrgreen strip. Oh well, I have five more Cobras to work on!

Dave and SuperCobra have you ever completed the twek drawings? I'd be very interesded in them.

As for the canopy I'm still working on it (I won't quit).
My fuselage drawings are done. Once the rotors are done, the drawing will be complete. No idea when I'll get around to the rotors as too many other projects keep popping up.
Unread August 26th, 2011, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the update, Dave.
Is it premature to ask for a copy of the fuselage drawing?
Unread August 26th, 2011, 08:34 AM

This is great news. Keep going on that canopy Avus!
Chuck
Unread August 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Avus, welcome aboard.

Sorry, never got around to updating that old drawing.

I know you posted this on another forum but thought it should be included here too, 1/35 M-197 gun barrels:

http://www.rbmodel.com/index.php?act...=c_ab&sub=35AB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320748300103...#ht_611wt_1270
Unread August 30th, 2011, 01:45 AM

Thanks SC, for both, the welcome and sharing the link.
My barrels should be arriving in the next days. If you're interested I'll post a mini review.

As for the fuselage, would you guys be interested if "someone" made a corrected resin version? It wouldn't be cheap.

But first things first: I have to get a canopy done!

UPDATE: I just received my M-197 barrels!
Man are they small!

Last edited by Avus; August 30th, 2011 at 06:20 AM.
Unread January 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM

I've been wanting to add to this thread for awhile but was dragging my feet because I wanted to take the time to do it right with annotated pictures, etc. I'll probably never get around to that so I'll just post some pictures of what is wrong and tried to describe what I did to fix it. I haven't built this kit OOB I grabbed a set of pictures of an OOB build that was being sold on Ebay. Hopefully, it wasn't built by anyone here and no one gets offended, if they do I'll take the pictures down. Keep in mind I'm not criticizing the builder, just the kit.

I'll attack the kit a little at a time showing what I think the major exterior flaws are first. I'll follow up with posts of how I attempted to fix these issues.

1) The skid crosstubes are faired (airfoil shaped cross section). The factory installed fairings on AH-1Ws were removed as soon as the birds arrived at the squadrons. The crosstubes should be round (fairings removed).

2) As built, the ALQ-144 (disco light) on top of the doghouse leans backwards. It should be perpendicular to the deck.

3) Likewise, the antenna on the doghouse also leans. The top bar should be parallel to the deck.

4) There should be handholds on the top of the transmission doors.

5) The deck above the exhaust should be open at the back.

6) The kit horizontal stabilizers are one piece that slides through a slot in the tail. There should be two separate movable stabs mounted on a round tube.

7) The kit doesn't have anything in the transmission cowling other than a blanking plate. You should be able to see down to the transmission, c-box, hyd pumps, etc (not an easy fix - major scratchbuilding here).

8) All of the steps are too short. They should stick out twice as far.

9) The main rotor head is missing a lot of detail but one of the most obvious is the pitch change links (vertical tubes/rods) connecting the head to the transmission are too small in diameter. The should be at least twice as thick and tapered towards each end.

Unread January 21st, 2012, 10:14 PM

OK - some of my pictures with my fixes (in progress). First for the crosstubes. In these pictures, I replaced mine with appropriate sized pieces of a wire coat hangar. Still need to add some details to them (like the steps). I used the kit tubes to make a wooden jig so I can get consistent curves. There is a hole drilled in the bottom of the jig. Insert wire into the hole and bend. I've also used 10 gauge romex (copper electrical) instead of coat hangar; its easier to bend and solder steps on to.

Bend and cut wire, drill holes in skid and fuselage, insert them, and wrap the bottom of the crosstubes with styrene strip for the saddles.

The PE pieces you see in the picture are Eduard. Applicable for the skids are the PE skid shoes.

Pictures are from my cell phone - sorry for the quality.

Unread January 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM

This is great! Been waiting a build that I can watch and work along with. We're still waiting on that canopy. I don't know if I have the skills for that "hanger bending", couldn't talk or bribe you into making me a set could I? LOL Keep it going Super Cobra!!
Chuck
Unread January 24th, 2012, 01:17 AM

Amazing work so far!
I'll be keeping it as reference. Speaking of which do you have any reference on the transmission or the M197? I already grabbed what the net has to offer.

As for the canopy version 2.0 is almost ready to be sent to Floyd: I modified it to fit the standard Cobra (non NTS) and fixed some shape issues.
Unread January 24th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Great news Avus. I'm assuming it can be "cut" to fit the NTS nose kit?
Chuck
Unread January 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Chuck,
Maybe I'll market pieces of hangars - how do you like the ring of Randy's Rotors? Or maybe just rent out my jig. Just kidding. I can send you some if you were serious.

Avis,
I've watched your W build and I don't think you will learn anything from me but I've got plenty of references. I'm trying to find my portable hard drive and will post some pics when I do.

If only given one option, I think the new canopy to fit the old kit is the best choice with the Cobra Company NTS update since the updated MRC kit doesn't have the correct cockpit so you would have to by the Cobra Company update anyway.

Unfortunately, I heard MRC permanently modded the original kit to make the NTS version so non-NTS kits will become harder to get. On the other hand, the old kit has no NTS decals while the new kit has all of the NTS decals on the TwoBobs "Whiskeys in the Mix" sheet.
Unread January 26th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Avus,
Can't get to my pictures right now but here are some training pictures that show areas of the transmission compartment. Sometimes the graphics are a better reference as you can distinguish the shape of the components a little better than the picture:

Unread January 26th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Avus,
Are you looking for transmission photos just to add some realism with panels closed? Or are you looking for transmission compartment photos because you want to open panels? There is a lot more stuff in the compartment than just the tranny (hyd pumps, servos, and reservoir, combining gearbox, etc):

Not much of the transmission compartment you can see from the top. Here is what I'm doing. I am probably going overboard if I'm not going to open panels but haven't gone far enough if I'm going to leave panels open. Haven't decided yet. At my rate, I'll probably never finish a build so it really doesn't matter.

Unread January 27th, 2012, 01:08 AM

That's the plan Chuck: "one-canopy-fits-all".

Again great work so far, SuperCobra.
Thanks for all the wonderful pics they really will help.
My idea is to have something in there "just to add some realism with panels closed" like you said. But who knows where I'll go from there.

Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering, since the Huey and the Cobra have the same origin could I use some parts of the Huey transmission (from MRC/Academy's UH-1C) on the Cobra?

Last edited by Avus; January 27th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Unread January 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avus View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering, since the Huey and the Cobra have the same origin could I use some parts of the Huey transmission (from MRC/Academy's UH-1C) on the Cobra?
That might work for the G, but without looking at anything I would think the J/T/W would be different. Again without looking, if the Dragon/Panda kit had those part for the UH-1N that would work better.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.