Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Unread December 2nd, 2017, 01:29 PM

Default Airbrush Recco

Gents,

Looking for a new airbrush. I bought a Harbor Freight Special (dual action w/ an external cup) a couple years ago to get into the airbrushing arena. While far from ideal, it was cheap, served its purpose (reasonably) well and got me into airbrushing and taught me the basics. It is now time to up my airbrushing game and I am looking for something newer/better/less janky - something that can do free-hand camo patterns/detail work well. Any reccos? Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!
Unread December 2nd, 2017, 06:44 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

I'm old school, I use a Paasche H single action. It's simple, easy to use and easy to clean. Never used a dual actions, they just look to complicated and pain to clean.

Just my two cents

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Unread December 2nd, 2017, 07:21 PM

I LOVE my Grex. The pistol grip works well for me and it's a dream to use.

Recently completed:
1:72 P-51D, 1:72 F-2XL, 1:35 Triceratops, 1:72 A-4M, 1:72 Yak-55M, 1:72 JAS-39C Gripen, 1:72 MQ-1B Predator
On the bench:
1:72 X-47B, 1:72 Skyhawks, 1:72 MQ-9 Reaper, 1:24 Harrier GR.1, 1:72 B-24D, 1:144 Space Shuttle
Unread December 3rd, 2017, 11:41 AM

I've been using a Paasche VL and it has worked out really well for me so far. Easy to use and parts are readily available.
Unread December 3rd, 2017, 07:48 PM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

Another vote for the Paasche VL. Great double action, easy to clean, and relatively cheap (especially if purchased through hobby lobby with their 40% off coupon.

I do keep my old Paasche H model single-action for some base coating and gloss coat work too.
Unread December 5th, 2017, 12:57 PM

I have a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution and Infinity. Love both of them, the only downside I have is no local shops carry parts so I always duplicate order needles and nozzles so I'm not down for days.
Unread December 9th, 2017, 12:14 PM

I recommend the Badger Krome. Badger customer service is top notch and located in Chicago IL. (Franklin Park), which is convenient if your in the States. Chicago is a central hub and turn around time for any problems is very quick at Badger. Performance is top notch with this gun and it's priced reasonably well.

The Paasche VL is an old design and a bit bulky but preforms well and will last a lifetime. I have had my VL for over 30 years and that thing still works like a champ. I mostly use it to spray base coats these days.