Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Choppers

Notices

Unread November 29th, 2017, 02:18 PM

Default 1/32 AH-1J conversion

Some time ago, Joseph from Fireball Modelworks was putting together a mock-up for an AH-1J conversion for the 1/32 Revell-Monogram AH-1G. This was on the heels of his extensive AH-1S conversion kits.

Did anything ever come to fruition on the J model? I was sorry to go to the Fireball Modelworks website and see they have transitioned out of the helicopter and military genre completely.

"....all you see is the 1% that is public..." (Read: "you stupid peons.") .
Unread November 30th, 2017, 12:23 AM

No nothing came of it. The only rework I've seen on the 1/32 Revell kit aside from Joseph's has ever been from Floyd Werner at Werner's Wings but nothing major like that conversion.
Unread November 30th, 2017, 01:46 PM

I thought that Floyd possessed the mockups and in-work stuff from Joseph, but don't quote me on it. Man, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on cake!

Ski
Unread December 1st, 2017, 12:42 AM

It's possible as I recall the two of them collaborating on all kinds of stuff back when Floyd was first getting started with Werner's Wings.
Unread December 2nd, 2017, 06:13 PM

The start of this topic was caused by my unpacking of some moving boxes that were put away over five years ago, and kind of geeking out over some of the kits and projects I had stashed away in them.

I did recently hear directly from Joseph that his AH-1J project died on the vine. Really unfortunate, as I had seen some beautiful prototype work on the twin-pack. I know Werner's Wings is working on a comprehensive AH-1F in 1/32.

"....all you see is the 1% that is public..." (Read: "you stupid peons.") .
Unread December 2nd, 2017, 11:33 PM

Yowza! A 1/32 -F? That's gonna be a mean looking sob lol. I had purchased 2 of Floyd's 1/48 resin AH-1F correction kits back in the day when he first started but like an dumba** I sold them (wife made me get rid of A LOT of model stuff) about 6 years ago.

It's a real pity about Joseph's work on not just Cobra's but helicopters in general because he was really the one I feel that began the momentum that has just now started to ripple in the market for 1/48 and 1/32 scales. I really wanted to be able to pick up a few more of his p.e. stuff that he did for Hueys as it could be used for a more detailed Cobra too. I am glad that I purchased what I did when I did as it will probably never be reproduced ever again.