Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Helicopter Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread February 7th, 2014, 11:45 PM

Before I started work on the engine compartment again I wanted to look closer at the engine itself since it had been awhile. I also pulled out the engine out of an Academy H-60 to see how it compared.

My observation is that the kit engine looks like a T700 but since it is only four parts (two halves and a front and back end) all of the molded on detail has little relief and makes it looks too squashed and two-dimensional.

Since the H-60 kit is a much newer kit I was hoping it would be much better but I was a little disappointed. While they improved it by making the components and accessories separate parts (some of which aren't yet installed in the pic below) the engine itself has almost no detail and doesn't resemble a T700 to me. Too bad they didn't use their AH-1W kit engine as the basis and add components to it.

In the picture below the top engine is the loosely assembled AH-1W, the middle engine is one where I started to carve off the molded on components in preparation of replacing it with details with more relief, and the bottom loosely assembled engine is the one from the H-60 (not all of the components are added yet). Even with the parallax of the photo you can tell the H-60 engine is quite a bit smaller (too small IMHO).

Does anyone know if any of the various AH-64 1/32 or 1/35 kits have engines? I couldn't find any in online reviews. I know there are some pretty good aftermarket 1/72 and 1/48 T700s but I'm not aware of any in 1/35 besides the ones in the AH-1W and H-60.

Unread March 14th, 2014, 08:15 PM

Default Engine Compartment Firewall

I realized if I continue with the "tweaking" the engine this will turn into an extremely drawn out in progress thread rather than a tweak thread. So...

Moving on in the engine compartment, I'm working on the firewall between the two engines. While the kit part doesn't look much like the real firewall, only the top and bottom are seen behind the engine so this part/tweak isn't really addressing a major shortcoming of the kit but here's my attempt none-the-less.

Here is what the real firewall should look like (actually, there are some errors in the drawing but this is close enough to illustrate the differences between the kit and real deal:

Here is how my "tweak" is starting out. I made it out of a soda can:

To make the concave vertical ribs I used a standard issue GI Skillcraft pen on a soft cutting mat to indent the lines. The rivets were made by pushing with a pin or thumbtack. Here's what a couple of practice ribs look like from the front:

Here's the back sample - it's easier to photograph the effect from the back side:

Here is a closer look of the in-progess panel. I still need to add a lot of detail like the tailrotor driveshaft tunnel on the bottom of it:

Here is a pic of the kit, what it should look like, and the new part:

Finally, here is a closer look at the old and new. It's hard to capture the rib and rivet detail in the photo. It looks better in real life and should look OK with paint. I wish I would have used the same color aluminum throughout (the gold curved rivet/screw line was cut from a different can that had a gold interior); maybe I could've left it bare metal then:

Last edited by SuperCobra; March 14th, 2014 at 08:21 PM.
Unread September 9th, 2014, 12:43 AM

Thats a sweet a$$ idea!!