Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > Grumman F-14 Tomcat group build 1/1/15-1/1/16

Notices

Unread October 31st, 2014, 08:27 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Default F-14A Prototype#3 157982 Late 80s test aircraft

Hello Tomcat Fans, I have been missing in action on the forum for a while as my modeling mojo has been at an all time low and has had me away from the build for a while. Also had the misfortune of loosing my Job 2 weeks ago Due to loss of Medicare Government Contract so that really hasn't helped either. Any way all is well and will keep looking till I find another job sometime soon I hope. I have been slowly working on my 48th scale Hasegawa F-14A kit and I did manage to get the Fuselage and wings together and the cockpit done as well as gear wells and intakes. I will have alot of filling and sanding to do this weekend but hope to have some paint on it by next week. Here is what I have so far.

Chris Causey

Unread November 1st, 2014, 01:48 AM

Bout damn time Chris!!

Looking good bud, I hope to see more very soon!
Unread November 1st, 2014, 10:52 AM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Thanks Evan; I know i am such a procrastinator.

Chris Causey
Unread December 1st, 2014, 10:46 AM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Hey Guys; I am in the process of putting paint on the Prototype Tomcat and have had a brain fart for modeling. I can't figure out what color I should paint the outside part of the main gear doors. I have used white on the bottom of the Tomcat and flat gull grey on the top. Are the gear doors white or are they the gull grey color like the rest of the upper fuselage ??? I have looked for close up reference pics of this area online but not to much luck for me. Thanks for your help.

Chris Causey
Unread December 1st, 2014, 11:47 AM
Oompa

Gear doors are white
Unread December 1st, 2014, 11:49 AM
Oompa

Chris..another thing..on the ejection seats, the face curtain handles are black and yellow striped, not red and yellow. You can easily fix it..simply paint over them yellow, and use a gel pen or felt tip pin to draw the stripes..easy peasy
Unread December 1st, 2014, 11:57 AM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Thanks Brian for the quick response to the paint question. Just wanted to make sure on what to do. Thanks also for pointing out my Painting Boo Boo on the ejection seat curtain pull ropes.

Chris Causey
Unread December 1st, 2014, 01:09 PM
Oompa

Glad to help out man. I love the prototype and test jets, so I'm watching this one closely.
Unread December 9th, 2014, 08:56 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Ok fella's, Glad where back on the air cause that was a scare. Anyway I have finally started to get somewhere on this Tomcat kit. Finally got most of the main colors on and just gloss coated it today,(pics not shown). I will do some limited weathering on her but mainly want a clean looking aircraft for this build. Not really sure what I am going to do about the Weapons load out, Either keep it clean or load here up with Phoenix and Sparrow missiles. Here you go for now, Enjoy.

Chris

Unread December 9th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Great work on the paint job there. But the small insert for the flaps which you displayed in the open position should be glued to the flap panels as they are an integral part of the flaps and should not be separated.

Mark
Unread December 9th, 2014, 10:59 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Thanks for the observation Mark my bad on that; I did correct them after I took these pics. another fellow modeler on another forum in formed me of my mistake. I will show new pics soon. Thanks.

Chris.
Unread December 10th, 2014, 12:22 AM

Keep it going Chris, lookin good.
Ill give you a call as soon as I get time away from work.
Unread December 10th, 2014, 09:34 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Thanks Evan; Don't work to hard this week buddy.

Chris Causey
Unread December 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Oompa

I'm thinking you may need to repaint the leading edges of the slats and both the vertical and horizontal stabs to be natural metal. I was looking at ref pics on the F-14 Association site to compare, and you'll need to do so.. I did see some other pics of another test jet where they were white, but for #3, they were natural metal.

Also, I like what you did with the exhausts, but next time, reverse the colors you used and paint the lighter color on the aft portions of the engines and the open and closed portion of the nozzles the darker color.

You've done some excellent paint work here and this is certainly an inspiring thread. Concerning the weathering, I'd simply run a dark grey wash through the lines and call it a day. Those test jets were high gloss finished and didn't weather as much as one would think.

Last edited by Brian Marbrey; December 11th, 2014 at 04:21 PM.
Unread December 11th, 2014, 08:07 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Hey Brian; Thanks for the color correction call outs on the burners. I used MM Titanium for the dark color and MM Magnesium for the light color. Are those colors OK to use and would it work to just reverse the colors on them? As for the steel color on the front control surfaces on the wings, I will do like you said and paint the whole slats control piece steel correct?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Chris Causey
Unread December 12th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Oompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat14 View Post
Hey Brian; Thanks for the color correction call outs on the burners. I used MM Titanium for the dark color and MM Magnesium for the light color. Are those colors OK to use and would it work to just reverse the colors on them? As for the steel color on the front control surfaces on the wings, I will do like you said and paint the whole slats control piece steel correct?

Thanks for your advice and help.

Chris Causey
In the future, I'd recommend using MM Burnt Metal..it's a closer match to the burner can color for both the GE engines and the TF-30's. I'd recommend still using the Titanium for the darker color, or you can simply use flat black..I usually do then slightly dry brushed with steel.

As for the control surfaces, steel is the perfect color. Looking closer at some pics of the #3 jet, leave the top section of the slats as you have them, and just paint the undersides..look REAL close at this pic and you'll see what I'm talking about..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Tomcat_23.jpg
Unread December 12th, 2014, 01:25 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

Perfect Brian; Appreciate the tips and Help. I kinda thought that is what I was suppose to do to the slats, but wanted to make sure, and as for the Burners I do have MM Burnt metal paint and will use that instead of the Magnesium. Thanks again.

Chris Causey
Unread December 12th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Oompa

Anytime man..this is such a cool project you're doing. Test cats are such a rare subject these days, it's just awesome to see them done.
Unread December 19th, 2014, 03:23 PM
"Tomcat's Forever"

OK Fellas; I am Finally Done with this model. Never thought I would see the Light at the end of the tunnel. Any way I built this model, 1/48th scale Hasegawa kit to represent the late 80's version on the F-14A Tomcat Prototype#3 aircraft to the best of my ability. Paint scheme came out nice, but had some problems with the gloss coat for it. I used model masters gloss clear and was painting at a temp of about 70 or so. The clear coat is not as glossy as I would have hoped for but oh well I tried. The kit had some fit issues as well and I had to find out the hard way after most of the model was done a lot of fiddly little bit's to. Any how I am satisfied and hope I have done justice for the Tomcat and what I wanted to represent. Here she is.

Chris Causey

Unread December 19th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Very very Nice!!!!

Be sure to post it in the completed thread Chris.