Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM

OooohRaaaah.

Last edited by SuperCobra; February 23rd, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM

Welcome aboard Razor and Ski. Check out the Jarhead social group (go to group memberships on the lower right head corner of your profile page). Semper Fi.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks SuperCobra! Joined up w/Jarheads, thanks for the group, Creighton!

Semper Fi,

Ski
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Location: About 7 klicks east of Camp Pendelton. Santa Rosa Plateau CA

Howdy all,

Mike Witous, damn glad to meet you. I want to make it clear that I spend entirely too much time on modeling websites, doing "research", buying modeling stuff that I will never use, and cleaning the man-cave, rather than actually slapping styrene together. However, when I start a kit, I usually finish it. I build/collect mostly USN /USMC 1/32 scale aircraft and 1/35th scale USMC armor. I was in the Corps so long ago that my cover and utilities in boot were solid Marine Green.

I live near Temecula CA and belong to the TEMECULA VALLEY MODEL CLUB
(tvmodelclub.com) The most excitement I have had in the past 5 years was when my 22 lb. cat got super glued to my workbench.

I am glad to be aboard. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Out here.

Mike Witous

Temecula Valley Model Club

HAUD SCEPTRUM HAUD SENTIO HAUD FORSIT
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I've seen things...

Oh wow, didn't know there even was a Temecula club! Welcome!
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Kitbasher

Hello All,
I'd like to introduce myself properly, even though I've made a few post around this forum already. I'm Eddie M. and I live in a county in Texas where the cows outnumber the humans. I'm ex USN (crash and salvage, CV-41 & CV-61), ex welder/ steel worker. My full time gig now is manufacturing explosive/ pyrotechnic cartridges for fire extinguishing systems in military and civilian aircraft. I'm a volunteer firefighter and 30+ years amateur photographer. Some of you might be familiar with my photos during my time in the Navy.
Modeling is my hobby. Mostly kitbashing and what if, but I do stray over to the wildside and build real world here and there, which why I'm here. This looks like a place where one's work won't get lost in the shuffle in a day's time. Looking forward to see more stellar works around here and throwing one or two in the ring now and then,
Eddie
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Welcome aboard guys, us Army types are getting out numbered here! No worries, I'm proud of my two Navy sons! Just look at my avatar (son #1 as the LSE)

-- Stephanie Cronin,
"Building and Rebuilding Afghanistanís Army"
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Greets to all...

Newb here.

Hope to learn a lot from this site and have some fun along the way.

TY.
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby!

Welcome Jon! Good group here.

"Stupidity is like nuclear power! It can be used for good or evil, and you donít want to get any on you." Dilbert.

Flag Plot: My virtual model display shelf
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Hey everybody, I just got into modeling fighters from WWII thru modern aircraft, started last June looking for something new to build. I am now hooked and have 16 1/144th and 2 1/72 scale built. I have done nothing but cars my whole life, mostly drag racing, it's also what I do. I'm a auto mechanic also my whole life so that explains the auto thing, well anyway, I have always REALLY GOT OFF on fighter jets my whole life also. Really glad I finally found out about this and have learned a TON of things about the fighters I have built so far looking up all sorts of things on the net for info. My $ right now dictates the small stuff, but it also leaves me a lot of room to put em all!! Hope to be around awhile and learn from you guys! Oh, by the way, what does VF ### mean as far as Navy jets go, I'm missing something here. I have a F-14A VF-74 Be-Devilers. They say, no question is stupid but I am REALLY new here to some of the abreviations. I guess what I'm saying is, what does VF stand for? I also grew up in ST Louis pretty close to McDonnell Douglas and remember F-4's screaming out of Lambert airport, one of my FAVORITE Fighters!! I even remember a few sonic booms when I was real little!!

Last edited by 70rr; March 20th, 2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to say something
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Reddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rr View Post
Hey everybody, I just got into modeling fighters from WWII thru modern aircraft, started last June looking for something new to build. I am now hooked and have 16 1/144th and 2 1/72 scale built. I have done nothing but cars my whole life, mostly drag racing, it's also what I do. I'm a auto mechanic also my whole life so that explains the auto thing, well anyway, I have always REALLY GOT OFF on fighter jets my whole life also. Really glad I finally found out about this and have learned a TON of things about the fighters I have built so far looking up all sorts of things on the net for info. My $ right now dictates the small stuff, but it also leaves me a lot of room to put em all!! Hope to be around awhile and learn from you guys! Oh, by the way, what does VF ### mean as far as Navy jets go, I'm missing something here. I have a F-14A VF-74 Be-Devilers. They say, no question is stupid but I am REALLY new here to some of the abreviations. I guess what I'm saying is, what does VF stand for? I also grew up in ST Louis pretty close to McDonnell Douglas and remember F-4's screaming out of Lambert airport, one of my FAVORITE Fighters!! I even remember a few sonic booms when I was real little!!
Welcome aboard, pull up a stool and pour yourself a cold one!

VF stands for - "V" = Heavier then air, fix wing. "F" = Fighter.

VA would be heavier then air, fix wing Attack.

And you are right, there is no such thing as a stupid question so never be ashamed to ask a question.

V/R
Reddog
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
Welcome aboard, pull up a stool and pour yourself a cold one!

VF stands for - "V" = Heavier then air, fix wing. "F" = Fighter.

VA would be heavier then air, fix wing Attack.

And you are right, there is no such thing as a stupid question so never be ashamed to ask a question.

V/R
Reddog
More Naval trivia: The letter "V" was used to label the the USS Langley, the USN's first Aircraft Carrier, CV-1 . As Reddog said, the "V" as in vehicle was picked for "Heavier than air" rather than "A" because that was already in use to denote "auxiliary" as in auxiliary ships . At this time Naval Aviation had two types of aircraft & airplane carriers: the flattop ships & the lighter than air rigid airships. The rigid airship, manned Dirigibles and blimbs were gone early on, but the "V" in the designation of Aircraft Carriers and Fixed wing squadrons remains.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

"Stupidity is like nuclear power! It can be used for good or evil, and you donít want to get any on you." Dilbert.

Last edited by RJ Tucker; March 21st, 2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Smile

Hi All

Another Aussie here

Was introduced to the site by a good friend

I like all aspects of modelling particularly Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm and also have a love and growing collection of Revell and Monogram kits that were released when i was a boy (late fifties and sixties) i find they remind me of the exitement and awe of what got me into modelling

Looking forward to contributing in a positive manner and posting some pics of my attempts at the ''bench''

Cheers

Norm

Norm
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby!

Welcome Norm; lookin' forward to seeing your bench posts!

Old March 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Welcome Norm!
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Default New Here.

I'm new here, just stopping in to introduce myself. I'm an ex-army tanker, and a model addict, hoping to pick up a few new tricks here.
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:24 PM

Default New Member

My name is David Sakal and a retired Air Force Air Traffic Controller. I build primarily 1/48 scale WWII to Modern era aircraft. I've been building as far back as I can remember. In fact, Auroras 12 O'clock High series were the first ones! I don't consider myself a collector, but ya couldn't tell by looking at my garage! I'm currently working on 3 F-15C's, 4 F-15E's and 1 F-15A. I bought the Afterburner F-15 sheets and had to build them all!! After comparing web sites this is definately the best one!!
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Whoo hooo!!!

Keep buildin' 'dem iggles!!!

Welcome aboard!
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys !!!
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:35 AM

Default Info

Thanks Reddog and RJ, clears that up really good, the V just didn't make sense to me.