Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > Forum FAQ

Notices

Unread May 18th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Default 'Search' Function

*sigh* What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to search out information in existing posts and threads so I don't ask what may have already been addressed at length previously.

I'm seeking info on the corrections / changes needed to build Tamiya's 1/32 F15J as an accurate early pre-MSIP craft. So I type 'F15J' in the search bar. Nothing. Go to 'Advanced' open all search options, and still no hits.
Unread May 18th, 2014, 11:26 AM

You'll have better luck with Google including "zone-five" in the search.

The search function here has never really worked.
Unread May 18th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Specifically, if you search for "F-15J site:zone-five.net" on Google (without the quotes), you can limit your search to Z5.

Recently completed:
1:72 X-47B, 1:72 P-51D, 1:72 F-2XL, 1:35 Triceratops, 1:72 A-4M, 1:72 Yak-55M, 1:72 JAS-39C Gripen
On the bench:
1:32 A6M5 Zero, 1:72 Skyhawks, 1:72 MQ-9 Reaper, 1:24 Harrier GR.1, 1:72 B-24D, 1:144 Space Shuttle
Unread May 18th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagap View Post
The search function here has never really worked.
LOL, OK

Thank you gents for the helpful advice! Google search is turning up results, even if it is an arse about way of finding the needed posts!
Unread May 18th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Avid Kit Starter

Right you are! I've always been frustrated by this too. I think there's an issue with the number of characters needing to be at least so many and also, potentially an issue with numbers being treated differently to letters. Using Google is definitely the way to go.
Unread May 18th, 2014, 10:39 PM

From a web developer perspective, building a good search tool is a nontrivial task, particularly when people regularly search for short words with numbers (a-4, f15j). It's easy to take what Google does for granted, but in many ways it may be the most sophisticated software ever made, which produces such spectacular results. Most forum searching software is mediocre at best and since Google is just a click away, it's tough to get motivated to really work hard on that. (That said, Z5's search is the worst among forums I use...)

Recently completed:
1:72 X-47B, 1:72 P-51D, 1:72 F-2XL, 1:35 Triceratops, 1:72 A-4M, 1:72 Yak-55M, 1:72 JAS-39C Gripen
On the bench:
1:32 A6M5 Zero, 1:72 Skyhawks, 1:72 MQ-9 Reaper, 1:24 Harrier GR.1, 1:72 B-24D, 1:144 Space Shuttle
Unread June 17th, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsunder View Post
From a web developer perspective, building a good search tool is a nontrivial task, particularly when people regularly search for short words with numbers (a-4, f15j). It's easy to take what Google does for granted, but in many ways it may be the most sophisticated software ever made, which produces such spectacular results. Most forum searching software is mediocre at best and since Google is just a click away, it's tough to get motivated to really work hard on that. (That said, Z5's search is the worst among forums I use...)
I also agree, I just ran into this on another forum searching for some things, as someone that also works in software, it is a huge undertaking