Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Props

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:35 PM

Default Seaplane Grey? FS 26081

So I'll be starting a P2V kit here pretty soon and the scheme I'm going with calls for white over Seaplane Grey with Fluorescent Red panels...Who makes Seaplane Grey (FS 26081)? Can I use Model Master Euro 1 Grey (FS 36081) and just gloss it up in finishing?
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:57 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by picknpluck View Post
So I'll be starting a P2V kit here pretty soon and the scheme I'm going with calls for white over Seaplane Grey with Fluorescent Red panels...Who makes Seaplane Grey (FS 26081)? Can I use Model Master Euro 1 Grey (FS 36081) and just gloss it up in finishing?
Yes, you can use MM Euro 1 Grey and just gloss it up a little (or leave it flat for a weathered look).

The first number in the FS number denotes the finish - 1 for gloss, 2 for semi gloss and 3 for flat, its the last four numbers that denote the color/shade.

hth

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:08 PM
Accidental Cag...........and Jarhead

"just changing the gloss" is a common practice in modeling these days, and is certainly a valid choice for modelers.

I don't know how picky you are for your colors, but if you are interested, the three "x6081" colors were actually three different colors back when the P-2 flew, though. They were pretty close to each other,,,but, there was a difference.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
Yes, you can use MM Euro 1 Grey and just gloss it up a little (or leave it flat for a weathered look).

The first number in the FS number denotes the finish - 1 for gloss, 2 for semi gloss and 3 for flat, its the last four numbers that denote the color/shade.

hth
Thought so, but wanted to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post
"just changing the gloss" is a common practice in modeling these days, and is certainly a valid choice for modelers.

I don't know how picky you are for your colors, but if you are interested, the three "x6081" colors were actually three different colors back when the P-2 flew, though. They were pretty close to each other,,,but, there was a difference.
I'd love to use the actual color, but I also need to be able to find it...absent that, Euro 1 grey, it is. What would you use for this scheme?
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:06 PM

If you are an Enamel Exclusive sort of guy, then the Euro I is your choice.

If you are okay with Acrylics, then here are some matches. "=" means good match to FS, "+" means slightly darker than FS, "-" means slightly lighter, and "*" means there was no other place to put that color on the rack, so, this is the closest place.

16081 = (3x) Aeromaster 1025 RLM 74 Graugrun
26081 = (2x) Aeromaster 1195 Russia Dk Gray II 36081
36081 = (2x) Polly Scale 505314 german RLM 72 Green
16081 * (1x) Model Master Acryl 4691 Navy Gloss Gray
16081 * (1x) Model Master Acryl 4795 PanzerSchwarzgrau
26081 = (1x) Model Master Acryl 4750 Euro I Gray
26081 * (0x) Vallejo Model Air 71053 Dark Sea Green ( 17ml )

Note that MM Acryl 4750 is a match to 26081 already.

Note that even though it is sold as 36081, the #1195 Russian color is really 26081 when painted. That is my go-to for 26081 here.

Last edited by RexinTN; February 2nd, 2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:10 PM

hmm, very strange double post,,,,,,part of it went to post 1 and the rest showed up as post 2

I combined them into one, now.

Might as well add actual content here.

The guy selling Aeromaster on Ebay is now out of the Russian color in both his Acrylic and Enamel stock.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-Bottles-5...gAAOSwrklVDIeU

Last edited by RexinTN; February 2nd, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info, Rex. I have a feeling Euro 1 will be my only option at the LHS but we'll see.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:30 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Rex,

Very informative posts, learned something new.

I thought Aeromaster went out of business years ago, was the guy selling a stash or is Aeromaster still producing stuff?

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:02 PM

He is selling what was left in a storage unit. Aeromaster stopped production a long time ago, as you thought.

I bought about 500 bottles so far,,,,,and none have been hardened in the bottle. The only glitch I have had with him was one bottle broke in shipment, destroying the labels on about 4 others. He replaced all 5 bottles for me, without cost to me at all.

The pickings are getting pretty slim with him,,,,,but, at one point he had almost all of the Acrylic and Enamel colors listed.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:13 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post
He is selling what was left in a storage unit. Aeromaster stopped production a long time ago, as you thought.

I bought about 500 bottles so far,,,,,and none have been hardened in the bottle. The only glitch I have had with him was one bottle broke in shipment, destroying the labels on about 4 others. He replaced all 5 bottles for me, without cost to me at all.

The pickings are getting pretty slim with him,,,,,but, at one point he had almost all of the Acrylic and Enamel colors listed.
Thanks!

I still have a few bottles myself and never had any of them hardened up either. Back in the day they were the only name in town for Luftwaffe colors (this was before MM released their Luftwaffe colors) and the only thing I didn't like about them was that some colors took forever to dry (but that was solved by "sealing" them with a coat of future).

Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:55 AM

I did "cheat" with them, though. Even though I didn't receive any bad bottles, I still replaced all of the caps with the Phenolic caps with Polycone liners. With those, there is no possible drying of the paint on the seal, since the Polycone can't retain any paint to dry up there at all. (and the cones seal before the paint even touches the bottle threads, so none of that hassle, either.)

The only Acrylics I have had dry are any paints that came in a thread size not compatible with Testors bottles, or that don't include a "drip back" type of lid. That means that Vallejo or MisterKit paints have dried up on me, but not MM Acryl, Polly Scale, Aeromaster, LifeColor or Mr. Paint.