Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Props

Notices

Old February 18th, 2015, 08:48 AM

Default Any P-61 experts out there?

I'm working on Hobbyboss' P-61A in 1/48. My understanding is that all P-61's had the capacity to have the upper turret fitted, even on the "A" models that had it deleted. The Hobbyboss fuselage doesn't have the bulge in the upper fuselage to fit the turret, while the Revell and GWH kits do. Were there any "A" models where this is correct?
Wayne

Last edited by wag; February 18th, 2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:26 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

No expert but do you mean this...

Old February 18th, 2015, 04:29 PM

Yes, if you look at the top of the fuselage behind the cockpit the sides are bulged out and the top surface is flattened to fit the turret. On the Hobbyboss kit the top surface has the same cross section all the way back to the aft glass section.
Wayne
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

To my knowledge (from everything I've read), all production P-61A, B, and C should have the bulged sides for the turret. The turret was only installed on 37 of 45 P-61A-1, the P-61A-5, -10 and -11 did not have the turret, the turret was not installed again until the P-61B-15.

The reason for the removal was two fold, 1) the turret caused buffeting (after numerous test hours the buffeting was never fully resolved) and 2) there were higher priority aircraft that needed the turret (such as the B-29).

Source - Northrop P-61 Black Widow, The Compete History and Combat Record by Garry R Pape with John M and Donna Campbell. Schiffer Military History 1991/1995

hth

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.

Last edited by GW8345; February 18th, 2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:49 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

Looks like HB got it wrong. I just looked at a ton of pics...what an awesome looking machine!!
Old February 18th, 2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-15ERJ145 View Post
Looks like HB got it wrong.
Well. THERE'S a surprise...
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-15ERJ145 View Post
Looks like HB got it wrong. I just looked at a ton of pics...what an awesome looking machine!!
I've got a conversion coming for the OTHER F-15 on the way. I'm gonna try it with the HB kit. You're right, it's awesome!
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Default Thanks guys

That confirms my suspicions. I'm going to pick up some epoxy putty this afternoon and try to sculpt the upper fuselage.
Wayne
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagap View Post
I've got a conversion coming for the OTHER F-15 on the way. I'm gonna try it with the HB kit. You're right, it's awesome!
Yes, awesome machines!

I too have the Lone Star conversion for the F-15, I'm going to try to use it on the GWH kit. My GWH kit is an early release without corrected parts, so I might as well use it for the conversion.

I have loved the F-15 Reporter ever since I learned about its existance in a magazine article in 1987.
It must have been some great flying: great speed and range, no enemies.
A unique moment in time when piston engines were at the peak.

Cheers,
Stefan.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:26 PM

Default I'm admitting defeat with this one

The Hobbyboss kit is a good candidate to build an F-15 Reporter, but to build a reasonable facsimile of a P-61a from this kit is beyond my ability. If you have on in the stash, here's what I found, starting at the front and working backwards.
NOSE- the nose section looks like an "A" nose but it's far too long front to back (4 or 5 mm) and the forward fuselage is about 1 or 2 mm too shallow to mate with it. Also there are two tabs on the forward fuselage but no corresponding slots in the nose piece.
COCKPIT- The cockpit is very simplified, especially the sidewalls. There are decals for the instrument panel and electronics boxes but there is no indications of where they go in the instructions and they appear to have been printed at 1/32nd scale! There is a "T" shaped panel in front of the gunner's seat. I could not find any evidence for this being there and it would make it very difficult for the gunner to enter his seat. There is also no gunsight.
NOSEWHEEL- The fender is molded as part of the nosewheel tire. Besides looking rather silly not all P-61's had the fender.
20mm CANNONS- The holes for the cannons will have the barrels pointing about 10 degrees outboard.
UPPER FUSELAGE- As documented above, the shape of the upper fuselage is completely wrong. I made a sheet styrene plate for the flat upper surface and started filling in below it with milliput. This probably would have worked but there are just too many other problems to overcome.
TURRET- There is an upper turret on the sprues, even though it's not used for this version. It looks OK but there are four elevation slots that should not be there.
ENGINES- The engines are represented by a simple flat plate with only the front row of cylinders represented. Considering how deep the engines are inside the cowling and how little can be seen past the props and spinners this is not a huge problem.
WINGS- P-61A's through the A-10 block had no pylons on the wings, while the A-11 block had only the outer pylons. The locaters on the wings will have to be sanded flush and the slots filled in. The landing lights are represented by simple recesses in the wings with no suggestion of the bulbs or lenses. There are two pairs of ailerons, one with trim tabs and one without. The pair with the tabs are correct for the "A" version, but the tabs are only molded on one side! The fabric covering is represented by raised lines, and the ailerons are about 1mm too long chordwise to fit the wings.
DECALS- Besides the instrument decals mentioned earlier, the national insignia are incorrect sizewise (too large for the wings, too small for the fuselage). Also the OD/grey option provided had the upper turret fitted which is not possible with this kit.

To say I'm disappointed would be a vast understatement. At 1/3rd the cost the Revell kit is a much better option.

OK rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Wayne
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:16 PM

Rejoice, your turret problems are solved: http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/qbt48643.htm
Old March 3rd, 2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Tiger Hobbes View Post
Rejoice, your turret problems are solved: http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/qbt48643.htm
The QuickBoost fixed turret is undersized to fit on the narrow Hobby Boo Boo kit!! Wish Hobby Boo Boo would cease making US Subjects!! They have record of screwing the pooch on US aircraft!!