Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Fightertown Decals

Notices

Unread December 23rd, 2016, 03:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike72
Default Recent Disappointments

Let me start this by saying I've been using Fightertown from the beginning and the subjects they do are great. With that said, I have to admit I've been disappointed recently, especially with the last two sheets, 48075 and 48078.

On 075, I bought the sheet for the VF-1 lo vis bird, only to get it and have the wolf's head way too large to use (not just a little off). So to finish a build, I had to use another subject that I really didn't want to use and I'm unable to build the bird I actually bought the sheet for. I know Brian acknowledged the error in one post and said a correction would be done, but there's been no follow up and the error wasn't realized for almost a year.

On 078, because they decided to cram everything on one sheet instead of a large one and small one, you must choose if you want to do the VFA-2 or 22 bird because in order to do 2, you must cut off the last 2 on 22; so much for doing both. The instructions and the real VFA-2 bird have Langley stripes on the tank, yet they're not on the sheet even though the other subjects have tank markings.

Additionally, it appears there was no proofing of the instructions as the VFA-2 bird has dark NE on one side to match the rudder (no color call out for the rudder on the instructions) and medium gray on the other (what is on the decal sheet). While the real bird had both, they went to the boat with the dark gray NE. Also, the VFA-154 and 102 birds have hi vis national insignia on one side, lo vis on the other. It also shows 154 with hi vis intake warning on one side, lo vis on the other.

I know Brian is a busy guy but the sheets are going up in price and the quality should not be dropping. I know I'll take some face shots from the people that think we should just be happy to have the decals and this is a side business for the manufacturers. While I am happy, it still is a business and as a customer, we should get what we pay for IMO.
Unread December 23rd, 2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike72 View Post
Let me start this by saying I've been using Fightertown from the beginning and the subjects they do are great. With that said, I have to admit I've been disappointed recently, especially with the last two sheets, 48075 and 48078.

On 075, I bought the sheet for the VF-1 lo vis bird, only to get it and have the wolf's head way too large to use (not just a little off). So to finish a build, I had to use another subject that I really didn't want to use and I'm unable to build the bird I actually bought the sheet for. I know Brian acknowledged the error in one post and said a correction would be done, but there's been no follow up and the error wasn't realized for almost a year.

On 078, because they decided to cram everything on one sheet instead of a large one and small one, you must choose if you want to do the VFA-2 or 22 bird because in order to do 2, you must cut off the last 2 on 22; so much for doing both. The instructions and the real VFA-2 bird have Langley stripes on the tank, yet they're not on the sheet even though the other subjects have tank markings.

Additionally, it appears there was no proofing of the instructions as the VFA-2 bird has dark NE on one side to match the rudder (no color call out for the rudder on the instructions) and medium gray on the other (what is on the decal sheet). While the real bird had both, they went to the boat with the dark gray NE. Also, the VFA-154 and 102 birds have hi vis national insignia on one side, lo vis on the other. It also shows 154 with hi vis intake warning on one side, lo vis on the other.

I know Brian is a busy guy but the sheets are going up in price and the quality should not be dropping. I know I'll take some face shots from the people that think we should just be happy to have the decals and this is a side business for the manufacturers. While I am happy, it still is a business and as a customer, we should get what we pay for IMO.

You must always know that Fightertown Decals already best job make with the new decals in the future. It is but not always easy for every the wish to fulfill. But also in the next year make Brian the boss from Fightertown a good job for the next Super Hornet decals.
It is certainly possible on the next Super Hornet sheet also a or two Bounty Hunters aircraft with the Langley stripes on the tank to create. You must but always knowledge that Brian many works has but always be best work make for the decals the always that money value are. You get from Fightertown always a really beautiful decal sheet whether 48078 or 48081 with many detail from original and it plug many work in the sheets.

The idea from VFA-22 to VFA-2 make and the other 2 cut is a better idea. So can the model friend the chance take and yourself decide to VFA-2 or VFA-22 build, and it give on the sheet more place for other important details, what the decal sheets from Fightertown Decals and boss Brian to best decals in the Navy model business make.

Brian takes certainly wishes and suggestions on, but please have your understanding that Brian many work has whether private or occupational and it always still be the two job is decals to make in the best quality and details.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Christoph

Last edited by Hornet18; December 23rd, 2016 at 11:46 AM.
Unread December 23rd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Ermahgerd!

Brian has the correction inserts for sheet 48-075 available but won't be able to ship them until he gets back home. That was a message I got from him back on Dec. 2, but his flying job has him flying across country so we will have to wait on those.

Sheet 48-078 also has oversized VFA-41 markings for the tail and Brian was also notified about that error too. So that sheet will also need a correction sheet...
Unread December 23rd, 2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet18 View Post
You must always know that Fightertown Decals already best job make with the new decals in the future. It is but not always easy for every the wish to fulfill. But also in the next year make Brian the boss from Fightertown a good job for the next Super Hornet decals.
It is certainly possible on the next Super Hornet sheet also a or two Bounty Hunters aircraft with the Langley stripes on the tank to create. You must but always knowledge that Brian many works has but always be best work make for the decals the always that money value are. You get from Fightertown always a really beautiful decal sheet whether 48078 or 48081 with many detail from original and it plug many work in the sheets.

The idea from VFA-22 to VFA-2 make and the other 2 cut is a better idea. So can the model friend the chance take and yourself decide to VFA-2 or VFA-22 build, and it give on the sheet more place for other important details, what the decal sheets from Fightertown Decals and boss Brian to best decals in the Navy model business make.

Brian takes certainly wishes and suggestions on, but please have your understanding that Brian many work has whether private or occupational and it always still be the two job is decals to make in the best quality and details.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Christoph
I understand that English is a second or third language but did you even read my post? Why should someone wait for another sheet if the website or instruction sheet shows that the Langley stripe for the tank is available on the sheet being purchased? My wish, as you suggested, is for the sheet to have what is advertised, nothing more. Additionally, so other manufacturers allow you to build multiple birds per sheet, albeit if you add the data markings, but for you, it's OK to have to cut a 2 off of 22 and not be able to build multiple aircraft without being told? What if someone wanted to do both lo vis birds on the sheet?

Your comment about the fact that he has another job was the point of my last paragraph in my original post. For you to essentially say, "hey, he's got another job so cut him some slack" is ridiculous. Again, I understand it's not his primary job, but once you start taking money from customers, you should give them a quality product or make the decision to scale back to ensure quality. The fact that another post states there are multiple sheets with errors and Brian is having to do corrections, again, months after release, shows the sheets and instructions are not being proofed before sending them out to paying customers.

This is not a knock at Brian personally, again, I've been using his products for several years. He and I come from similar tacair backgrounds where attention to detail means everything and, again, just my opinion, it's not there at present.
Unread December 23rd, 2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike72 View Post
I understand that English is a second or third language but did you even read my post? Why should someone wait for another sheet if the website or instruction sheet shows that the Langley stripe for the tank is available on the sheet being purchased? My wish, as you suggested, is for the sheet to have what is advertised, nothing more. Additionally, so other manufacturers allow you to build multiple birds per sheet, albeit if you add the data markings, but for you, it's OK to have to cut a 2 off of 22 and not be able to build multiple aircraft without being told? What if someone wanted to do both lo vis birds on the sheet?

Your comment about the fact that he has another job was the point of my last paragraph in my original post. For you to essentially say, "hey, he's got another job so cut him some slack" is ridiculous. Again, I understand it's not his primary job, but once you start taking money from customers, you should give them a quality product or make the decision to scale back to ensure quality. The fact that another post states there are multiple sheets with errors and Brian is having to do corrections, again, months after release, shows the sheets and instructions are not being proofed before sending them out to paying customers.

This is not a knock at Brian personally, again, I've been using his products for several years. He and I come from similar tacair backgrounds where attention to detail means everything and, again, just my opinion, it's not there at present.
I am many in Germany and lives now also there. I please about understanding with my english. In Germany is hold the language German but also English.

I can understand that you something are annoying, but I can look whether Brian for you a better idea has, that you are happy again. Please take but understanding about the many work what Brian does everything. It come certainly soon update to the Sheet 48-078 with the Langley stripe for the tank, but please take you yourself time until Brian them a answer give has.

thanks,
christoph
Unread December 23rd, 2016, 07:20 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Spike,

Please don't take this as a blast but have you informed FTD of these issues prior to posting this? If so, was there any reply and was it to your satisfaction?

The reason why I ask is that it would be more advantageous if one would try to handle these kinds of things in private first, then go public if there is no response or if the other party refuses to cooperate.

As for correcting the issues and resolution, I think it would be worthwhile to remember that this is a side project for Brian (and with a lot of the other aftermarket guys), he does have a primary job, a family and a life, sometimes those prohibit a speedy response/corrective action.

Just my two cents.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.

Last edited by GW8345; December 23rd, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
Unread December 23rd, 2016, 08:43 PM

Trust me when I say this....as decal guy myself there is nothing more frustrating than having to do a correction set. You design a set that takes weeks or months to research, you proof your work over and over, you plunk down at least 2K+ to have the thing printed, then you get it back and you realized you f'd something up. That is a shitty feeling for sure not only because you have to put out more cash to fix the problem, but because you let your customers down. There are literally hundreds of variables that go into making a decal set, and it's very easy to screw things up. I'm sure nobody wants to get this resolved more than Brian right now and quickly as possible.
Unread December 24th, 2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW8345 View Post
Spike,

Please don't take this as a blast but have you informed FTD of these issues prior to posting this? If so, was there any reply and was it to your satisfaction?

The reason why I ask is that it would be more advantageous if one would try to handle these kinds of things in private first, then go public if there is no response or if the other party refuses to cooperate.

As for correcting the issues and resolution, I think it would be worthwhile to remember that this is a side project for Brian (and with a lot of the other aftermarket guys), he does have a primary job, a family and a life, sometimes those prohibit a speedy response/corrective action.

Just my two cents.
No blast taken at all. To answer your question, yes I sent 2-3 emails months ago that were never answered, including one with a pic of the wolf on the tail asking if I was screwed up, as to not suggest he was. That said, I'll give myself a face shot because last night I realized he had replied to a post, albeit over a month later, about the VF-1 sheet. While that is great, the sheet is a year old and we're just getting the correction sometime by late December or early January. I don't have another 14 on the horizon to use it on, so I hope it helps others but it will sit in my bin for a few years. Even if it does come, the tail was one of the last things I decal, so I now don't have the data to go along with the correction since I had to remove it all and do another subject. Things happen, guess I'll start doing my tails first.

I think my original post was taken out of context and I apologize for it. It wasn't meant to be a shot at Brian personally but my assessment of the recent quality or lack thereof. While I get the issue with the decal sheet, the instruction sheets not being proofread for errors shows a lack of attention and could be easily corrected before being sent to the printer. Again, I've been using their products from the beginning and appreciate the subjects they cover, but we've seen others, such as Furball, come in and give 10-16 choices with two sheets for a similar price, all without having to play hide and seek with a single crammed sheet. I'm fortunate but others here might not have the spare cash laying around to buy every sheet that comes out, so when they do buy, it should be buying a product that for the most part, includes what is being suggested.

Again, just my two cents.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Unread December 24th, 2016, 03:58 PM

Spike - thanks for the heads up and the feedback. You're right on with a few of your points. First, I don't know what you real name is so I can't look up any emails that we sent... Would like to be able to do that if you can send me an email -that way I can check and see when and if I missed something from you.

Geoff hit the feeling exactly. So you can skip the next parts, and I'll ditto his post.

On 48075 - As soon as it was pointed out to me that there was sizing issue, I sent off an insert to be printed. That takes 4-8 weeks to print. I got an email from the Netherlands about it, and I was sure the builder was mistaken. I worked my ass off getting the sizing and details down to the rivet. The art got blown up 120% on the print file and I never caught it. I've tried to make it known that there's an insert and I'm sending them out for free to anyone that asks. Just no resource to go back to every order that's ever come in and ship them out, although I wish I could.

On 48078 - I just dropped the ball pure and simple. The decal art for VFA-2 was done based on the original paint scheme for the squadron with Medium Gray 25237 NE's. The left profile was sent in with the later darker gray 36081 NE. It looks great but the decals had already been printed. I never caught the change. There should be a color guide for the jets but I didn't put one on the page. And the error on the low viz markings on the CAG/CO jets was a stupid mistake and should have been caught and fixed before. When I get some free time next month, I'll correct the instructions and post them on the website so people can download corrected sheets. I'm looking at getting inserts done for the VFA-41 Anniversary jet as well. It's beyond frustrating to spend hours getting details and sizing perfect and then never catch that somewhere along the line it got changed. From now on I will size art twice from the final print files.

As for the cost, I don't feel the cost is going up. It's actually gone down. We used to do regular size decal sheets 4x7 at $16-$18. Now the sheets are double the size 8.5x12 and $22. I still haven't figured out how to actually make any money doing this. Some sheets we manage 20+ choices to a sheet, some have 4-5. It's all about the space the art takes up and I refuse to provide any generic markings. Each piece is sized to the actual jet (with the noted screw ups above). You'll notice little things like data boxes size and fonts change, intake chevrons have different sizes and fonts, modex and flap numbers have various 'cuts' and angles in the fonts replicating the real jet. I'm always looking for inputs on how I can better organize the sheets and provide an easier user experience, so fire away. But I won't make a sheet that has lots of blank space. I'll continue to provide as many options and details as possible.

Everything on the decal sheets and instructions should be perfect when we release it and unfortunately that hasn't been the case on these recent examples. I'll do better and spend more time getting things right in the future as that has been the basis for doing this and the level I take pride at being at.

Thanks for the feedback. Merry Xmas and FLY NAVY!
brian
Unread December 25th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Hi,

Prior to this thread, I wasn't aware that the wolf's head is too big. I find the low-viz VF-1 a very interesting option and I'd love to get the replacement.
I bought the sheet from Hannant's.
I'll buy the Tomcat sheets from the next release from FTD directly and include a request for the replacement with my order. I'm in no hurry.

Merry Christmas,
Stefan.
Unread December 25th, 2016, 06:58 PM

Very nice reply Brian
Unread December 26th, 2016, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the quick reply to this post. As I have continued to use the VFA-41 decals, I have doubt a few more errors beyond the ones I emailed about. I'll send you a new email about those.
Thanks
Andy
Unread December 26th, 2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightertown Decals Brian View Post
Spike - thanks for the heads up and the feedback. You're right on with a few of your points. First, I don't know what you real name is so I can't look up any emails that we sent... Would like to be able to do that if you can send me an email -that way I can check and see when and if I missed something from you.

Geoff hit the feeling exactly. So you can skip the next parts, and I'll ditto his post.

On 48075 - As soon as it was pointed out to me that there was sizing issue, I sent off an insert to be printed. That takes 4-8 weeks to print. I got an email from the Netherlands about it, and I was sure the builder was mistaken. I worked my ass off getting the sizing and details down to the rivet. The art got blown up 120% on the print file and I never caught it. I've tried to make it known that there's an insert and I'm sending them out for free to anyone that asks. Just no resource to go back to every order that's ever come in and ship them out, although I wish I could.

On 48078 - I just dropped the ball pure and simple. The decal art for VFA-2 was done based on the original paint scheme for the squadron with Medium Gray 25237 NE's. The left profile was sent in with the later darker gray 36081 NE. It looks great but the decals had already been printed. I never caught the change. There should be a color guide for the jets but I didn't put one on the page. And the error on the low viz markings on the CAG/CO jets was a stupid mistake and should have been caught and fixed before. When I get some free time next month, I'll correct the instructions and post them on the website so people can download corrected sheets. I'm looking at getting inserts done for the VFA-41 Anniversary jet as well. It's beyond frustrating to spend hours getting details and sizing perfect and then never catch that somewhere along the line it got changed. From now on I will size art twice from the final print files.

As for the cost, I don't feel the cost is going up. It's actually gone down. We used to do regular size decal sheets 4x7 at $16-$18. Now the sheets are double the size 8.5x12 and $22. I still haven't figured out how to actually make any money doing this. Some sheets we manage 20+ choices to a sheet, some have 4-5. It's all about the space the art takes up and I refuse to provide any generic markings. Each piece is sized to the actual jet (with the noted screw ups above). You'll notice little things like data boxes size and fonts change, intake chevrons have different sizes and fonts, modex and flap numbers have various 'cuts' and angles in the fonts replicating the real jet. I'm always looking for inputs on how I can better organize the sheets and provide an easier user experience, so fire away. But I won't make a sheet that has lots of blank space. I'll continue to provide as many options and details as possible.

Everything on the decal sheets and instructions should be perfect when we release it and unfortunately that hasn't been the case on these recent examples. I'll do better and spend more time getting things right in the future as that has been the basis for doing this and the level I take pride at being at.

Thanks for the feedback. Merry Xmas and FLY NAVY!
brian
Thanks Brian for the reply and again, your efforts to improve our hobby. It is a reply like this that makes the hobby unique in that the businesses not only welcome customer comments and feedback, they respond personally to it. Greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays. FLY NAVY!