Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Unread June 3rd, 2009, 02:23 AM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader
Default All members please read (a reminder from your admins)

Just as a quick reminder in case anyone feels the urge to encourage us differently....

It is the admin team's standing policy to NOT delete any thread because someone else reports it as being in bad taste. If you personally find a thread offensive or in otherwise bad taste, do NOT report the thread, because we will not do anything about it.

As of this writing (fuck-all AM, 3rd of June, Year of our Lord 2009) there are only two reasons to report a post:

1. The post contains legitimate spam, or
2. It's a double/triple/quadruple post or whatever and can be tossed for housekeeping reasons

If you have an issue with a thread, you are free to express your opinion (in a calm and adult manner, preferrably as so to avoid gratuitous and rampant asshattery) just as the original poster is free to do. If the original poster feels that enough people have complained that they want to pull down the offensive material, they are within that right... likewise they can leave it there.

If it does not fall into one of the aforementioned categories, do not bother the admins because: Fury is too busy getting drunk and chasing mujers across the border (Tom, talking to a girl in BBS code is NOT gonna get you laid!), Dave is too busy looking for new and exciting ways to blow shit up in the sandbox (whilst pondering just who he can get away with legally killing when he goes back to civvie life), I'm too busy sleeping with single mothers (I can't see a ring on the finger if it's dark) and playing call of duty, Collin is too busy being Canadian (they can't be bothered. invasions to plan and all that), and Motty is too busy being Australian (which consequently by birthright enables him to drink the rest of the admin team under the table)

(and Scott says don't message him about it either... he ain't even part of the admin team... too busy distributing hookers and blow across a chain of southern Texas roadhouses)

.... what, you thought we built models?

Quote:
Disclaimer: Feel free to TALK to us about stuff whenever you like, just don't click the "report post" button except for the reasons listed above
and now back to your regularly scheduled broadcasting!
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Not an Admin Anymore

Can't be bothered???? Well, I bothered to read the memo ass hat and it's only one "L" in my name.........gawd, I can't work like this......

But yes, Skull brings up a valid point here. As mods, we're not the heavies that swoop in and tell everyone to play nice and delete threads without provocation. We're here to zap spammers and move threads when needed.

Everyone here is an adult (well, we're waiting on test results for a few people that shall remain nameless.......) and everyone here is responsible for the content on the site. As Skull mentioned, if you find something offensive, send a PM to the poster and discuss your views in an adult like fashion. I have done so on a couple of occasions.

Don't feel like you're being a prude with regards to this either. At the same time, if someone approaches you about something you posted that someone else finds offensive, don't blow a gasket and think everyone is coming down on you.

Again, we're all adults here.

Now, back to my poutine and The Red Green Show....and I guess invasion planning. Ah dammit, said that last part loud. Ok, ignore that part....ah crap, where is my red pill now.......

Last edited by Colin K; June 3rd, 2009 at 02:52 AM.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 02:51 AM

There are no half measures, fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your POV. The trade off for not having to deal with a group of thugs as "moderators" and a group of thugs the "moderators" allow to be thugs (and I'm not just talking about ARC) is to not have them. The downside is, just like in life, not everything is going to go according to the way you'd personally like them to, or even the way that makes you comfortable.

A group of us decided that we preferred some basic concepts to the enforced "harmony" elsewhere, which has proven over the years to be more enforced and less harmonious.

Some people prefer that, and the edginess of not having a group of "moderators to play hall monitor makes them nervous. We all fully get that, and the very first concept that was discussed among the group of guys that put this sucker up was that for sure it wasn't going to be everybody's cuppa.

From the beginning, we've all encouraged everybody to embrace the concepts and its worked beyond all hope and reason thusfar.

If you are compelled to write somebody about something another dude typed in on a forum, I think there's not a single thing wrong with expressing your concern either in the thread, or in private. Just like in life, there has to be give and take, and some form of adult conflict resolution. I think we've all become so cowed by the specter of "conflict" that we've raised its implications far above what they really are. If somebody writes something that troubles you, and you say something about it....what's the worst that could happen? He tells you to pack sand? You aren't any worse off than you were before, and the chance exists that some form of mutual understanding might happen........hey, I said a chance, LOL!

I say, give 'er a shot....don't cost nuttin'.....
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 03:07 AM

I agree with your take on this, god forbid we interupting the whoring and drinking - that would just be down right unfriendly.

As a side note to the easily offended... if the thread offends you - DON'T GO BACK TO IT, "This is not the Droid you are looking for... Move along... Move along..."

"You can't hit the ball unless you swing the bat." A baseball truth turned into a lifetime philosophy.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Internet Hero

Okay, slightly serous question...

How about changing the title of a thread? Far as I know, the original poster doesn't have permission to do that, you need an admin...

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 04:54 AM

Talking Well, shucks, golly, geewiz!!!

Yea, feels good to cuss!...........

..........Too funny!
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
I don't like SPAM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Okay, slightly serous question...
How about changing the title of a thread? Far as I know, the original poster doesn't have permission to do that, you need an admin...
That should be ok (I don't have a problem with doing it). As long as the person requesting the change is the person who posted it.

Cheers,
Motty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
..by birthright enables him to drink the rest of the admin team under the table.....

Mate, this parrot wouldn't "voom" if you put four million VOLTS through it!!?
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
I don't like SPAM!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKelley View Post
Personally, I don't understand why such germane tasks such as changing a thread's title are permissed only to the "admin team". Or, for that matter, deleting a thread that one has written.
I mean, if I was upset, and titled a thread "Allright, you motherf*ckers..." then went back two days later when I was over it, I wouldn't be able to change the title and tone it down? I have to bother an admin team member to do it? That's silly. And you don't have the time to be bothered, you say....Or if I wanted to delete a thread that I started, for whatever reason...I can't do it?
Look, I understand the whole ARC/thread deletion/ModSquad issue (I think) and the resulting sentiments among many of you, but to make it impossible for members to delete their own "intellectual material", if you will, for the sole sake of Z5 not deleting anything, ever....Well, that seems to me to go against the whole "self-moderation" concept.
It's not a case of what we "allow" or "want". The issues you're talking about are a matter of how the forum software works. The forum software doesn't have the facility to allow every member to do what you're saying. otherwise everybody would be moderators and able to manipulate any thread they wanted or modify or delete other members accounts.

People are completely free and able to delete their own text if they choose to.

Personally I would appreciate it if you researched your facts before you started slinging shit at me.

Motty.

Last edited by Motty; June 3rd, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't understand why such germane tasks such as changing a thread's title are permissed only to the "admin team". Or, for that matter, deleting a thread that one has written.

I mean, if I was upset, and titled a thread "Allright, you motherf*ckers..." then went back two days later when I was over it, I wouldn't be able to change the title and tone it down? I have to bother an admin team member to do it? That's silly. And you don't have the time to be bothered, you say....Or if I wanted to delete a thread that I started, for whatever reason...I can't do it?

Look, I understand the whole ARC/thread deletion/ModSquad issue (I think) and the resulting sentiments among many of you, but to make it impossible for members to delete their own "intellectual material", if you will, for the sole sake of Z5 not deleting anything, ever....Well, that seems to me to go against the whole "self-moderation" concept.

Its just the thread titles for some reason....anything/everything else is 100% deletable/alterable by the members, including just deleting the entire post. I'd bet $$$ there's a way to do it, but please understand that Tom is still trying to play with the 45,987,734 different functions of the forum software.....he might not have found the right HTML button for that.

The precise point of not having "mods" and the site not having an actual "owner" is that you are 100% in charge of your own intellectual material. There's been lots of stuff deleted by people themselves, and altered as well. What Motty's saying is nobody else besides the original poster will ever delete or alter anything, unless as previously mentioned, they need assistance with the thread titles. One of these days I'm sure Tom will figure that out as well.

Quote:
It's not a case of what we "allow" or "want". The issues you're talking about are a matter of how the forum software works. The forum software doesn't have the facility to allow every member to do what you're saying. otherwise everybody would be moderators and able to manipulate any thread they wanted or modify or delete other members accounts.
I'm almost positive there's a way to set it where the OP can alter their thread titles as well as content. If you can delete the entire post, I'd bet there's a way to get it to allow the OP to alter the thread title....though, honestly, at some point I can see somebody somewhere down the road posting a thread "What color is the doohicky on the thingamabob" and then getting pissed later by something and changing all their thread titles to "YOU &^%$#^&%$#^&s SUCK!!!!".....which affects everybody instead of merely deleting their posts. Its a minor point, and if you have a typo in a thread title, ping an admin dude and they'll fix 'er up, no sweat.

Quote:
I'm too busy sleeping with single mothers (I can't see a ring on the finger if it's dark)
Dude.....its bad to shoplift the pooty from a single mother....

Last edited by Afterburner Decals Scott; June 3rd, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM

Yeppers....any post you make James, if you hit EDIT, then GO ADVANCED, at the top there is a function for wiping the entire post without a trace. I just made a post, and then deleted it.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Who's That At The Door..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motty View Post

People are completely free and able to delete their own text if they choose to.

Personally I would appreciate it if you researched your facts before you started slinging shit at me.

Motty.
I was asking what I feel to be a reasonable question...I had no idea it would generate such defensiveness.

BTW, if I were "slinging shit" at you, you'd fucking well know.

http://www.scalewarbirds.com
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
I don't like SPAM!!

Quote:
I was asking what I feel to be a reasonable question...I had no idea it would generate such defensiveness.

You're right. It was an overreaction and unnecessary. I apologise.

My "issue" was over the automatic assumption that any such limitations on members control over what they post here was due to some "master plan" by the "evil moderators" when I think we have tried to make it as clear as possible that, that is exactly what we don't do (although the need for Skull to have to explain it yet again indicates that some people still don't seem to believe it).

Of the things that we do control behind the scenes (notice all the new smileys, new or rearranged forums when requested and lack of spam??), intentionally controlling or restricting what people can or can't do or post here is definitely not one of them.

Cheers,
Motty.

Unread June 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Yeah....not so much. You didn't ask a question....more like made a couple of assumptions and tossed in a statement of opinion or 2....or 3....which were incorrect.

Motty's a big boy and takes care of hisself, but you might want to consider that he spends a bit of time here performing very mundane but important work, and was volunteering to handle guy's issues with thread titles just prior to the thread course correction.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner Decals Scott View Post

says you! I've lost 30 pounds and all I had to do was lay there!
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM
Samurai Slayer

Can anyone tell me when Stepford Wives is showing again on TMC ???
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 10:50 AM

Ass, titties, beer, saluting our uniformed guardians and modeling. With big boy words.
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Who's That At The Door..?

Motty, apology accepted.

Res Ipsa Loquitor

http://www.scalewarbirds.com
Unread June 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
Be cool....like me....drive a Micra.

Well I have read it, now what do you want me to do?

Apart from the obvious, for which I still think is illegal in most civilised countries.
Unread June 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
LAATFIDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner Decals Scott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull Leader View Post
says you! I've lost 30 pounds and all I had to do was lay there!

That's just funny right there...I agree you gotta get it where you can lol...

Randy Rothhaar Photography
Unread June 26th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Default how many times do I have to say it?

Ok, evidently some people can't read english or simply choose to ignore that which has been requested of them...

DO NOT REPORT A POST UNLESS THERE IS SPAM THAT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED! I do not care if your sensibilities have been offended by something someone posted. I do not care if the thread sets an all new low for acceptable topics of discussion (a hard bar to get beneath given the company we keep here lol). This is NOT a family-friendly site and we do NOT cater to pansies, pussies, panty-waists, or pushovers. When presented with a thread that you believe achieves a new low, offends you or causes you to believe others might be offended, instead of wasting the admin team's time by reporting the post, try one of the following remedies:

1. Build a bridge and GET OVER IT
2. Get happy in the pants you got mad in
3. Return fire (at your own risk)
4. Don't look at said thread again
5. Leave.

It's as simple as that. The next person that reports a thread that isn't spam or a housecleaning issue saying "have you seen this shit?" "Do you believe this shit?" "Do you believe HIS shit?" "Do you believe MY shit?" or any derivative thereof, will likely see a change in their callsign.