Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Marketplace > The Stiffs

Notices

Unread September 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM

Angry eBayer patron64cac1

Not technically a stiff; more of a douchebag.

I have a beef with eBay seller patron64cac1. His name is Sean Dever and his company at this moment is named “militarywings”. All of the various aliases are posted below. His business is selling CDs of various military subjects. He says he gets them from archives and private collections.

My observation is that the vast majority of the images on the CD I bought are “public domain” images you can find yourself by doing a basic google image search and searching the various online DOD image repositories. I guess it is perfectly legal for him to sell DOD images from the web. Also, the majority of the images from this CD are long range and/or inflight photos - not detailed shots modellers crave. Overall I was disappointed in the quality and content of the CD. Judging by the feedback left on his various user IDs, others have a similar opinion of his products. However, that is not what my beef is about.

My complaint is that he sells at least one CD that contains my image(s) (which can be found in the walkarounds on the ARC Air website). Not sure if he got them from there or from somewhere else. I sent him what I considered was a polite email and he immediately got defensive to the point his pseudo lawyer is now threatening lawsuits and that asserting that he holds the copyright to my images.

As I said his "current" eBay seller ID is patron64cac1 but he previously sold on eBay as wingswheelsandanchors – that account has been closed but not before he got a lot of negative feedback – looks like he eventually just “took the money and ran” (according to that feedback):

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...k&myworld=true

He is on at least his third user ID; before that is was ID was slsupershop

Not sure why eBay is allowing him to continue but perhaps it is because he is pretending that he is not associated with the previous IDs or the company that makes the CDs. Why else would his current eBay ads have wording like this:

“ACCORDING TO THE CD, YOU CAN USE THE IMAGES ON BOTH MAC OR PC, AND DVD PLAYERS. IT SAYS THE IMAGES ARE J-PEGS AND YOU CAN PRINT THEM OR USE ON WEBSITES OR AS SCREENSAVERS. IT SAYS THE IMAGES ARE INDEXED FOR EASY SEARCHES.THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SOURCE FOR MODEL BUILDERS, ARTISTS, POWERPOINT, NEWSLETTERS, SCHOOL REPORTS, ETC...”

http://cgi.ebay.com/GMI-002-USAF-THU...d=p3911.c0.m14

Not sure of his motives but the above wording makes it sound like either he is not proud of his product or he is trying to distance himself from his own company. However, this eBay seller is definitely associated with the company – even refers you to his website and the product ships from his "corporate headquarters."

Anyway, the above “review/caution” is provided for you to use as you see fit. I’ve provided my walkaround images to ARC free of charge – you don’t have to buy his CDs to view them!!!

Here is his info:

“#1 Publisher of Military Photo Image CDs since 2005”
Shipping address:
1113 NE Pine Island Lane, Cape Coral, FL 33909

Sean Dever, President & Chief Designer
Subject Matter, Wholesale & Retail Sales Manager, Corporate Donations , Events
email: flyingphotos@live.com
sdever@militarywings.net
http://militarywings.net/aboutus.html

Website or Ebay listing info

email: webmaster@militarywings.net

Copyrights, Content, Usage & Reprint information, Company Info:
Legal Notice: planeapedia; www.planeapedia.com; www.plane-a-pedia.com; plane-a-pedia; www.militarywings.net; www.wingswheelsandanchors.com; Wings,Wheels, & Anchors; www.TheMilitaryMuseum.com; and www.TheAviationMuseum.com are all copyright of Global Media International, 1113 NE Pine Island Lane, Cape Coral, Florida 33909. All rights reserved. All published works are copyright of GMI and may not be duplicated. Please contact us for more information by email info@militarywings.net

Last edited by SuperCobra; October 5th, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: to fix links
Unread October 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks for this review, Randy.

YOUR photos are a true encyclopedia of Marine and rotary aviation, and I know that I have a huge collection of them saved for my own modeling and general interest purposes. (In fact I'd pay you for the rest of your collection!). Your sharing them with the modeling community has been really benevolent to our small niche crowd.

It's very disheartening to know douches like this guy are too occupied with making a buck to actually obey intellectual rights and the LAW.

"....all you see is the 1% that is public..." (Read: "you stupid peons.") .
Unread October 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks Randy.
I read about this in another forum you started about the copyright issues. If you are willing to pursue this d-bag, I hope you don't get fooled by his threats. That is an old scammers trick, act like you are victimizing them so you drop your complaint and go away. I doubt he even has a lawyer and if he did he probably isn't a very good one based on his replies to you. His dealings on ebay seem less than stellar as well. Whatever you decide to do good luck. Thanks for letting us all know about this guy so we can stay away.

BTW, the links to ebay didn't work.

Last edited by graves_09; October 5th, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Unread July 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM

I just saw this post. This asshole screwed me out of $200.00, so he is a scammer for sure. Avoid him at all costs - a thief and DB!!

Cheers,
-Doug
Unread July 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
I just saw this post. This asshole screwed me out of $200.00, so he is a scammer for sure. Avoid him at all costs - a thief and DB!!

Cheers,
-Doug
Hopefully you've got some recourse left. I notice that he still has active listings and has 100% feedback. Good news is it looks like his DVD image business isn't active (none on ebay - models only) and his various websites are down. Maybe the copyright BS caught up with him.
Unread July 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM

P.S. - I forgot to add that I ran across a post on Airliners.net where they were complaining he was selling images gleaned from there.

http://qa.airliners.net/aviation-for...d.main/250590/

From his dealings on ebay it seems he is a fellow modeler so I hope he is reading this. Sean Dever you are a real loser. Hope you feel good about yourself!

P.P.S. - I had a similar warning posted in the bad trader section of another model forum but it was removed. I wonder why? I'll have to check and see if he is a VIP member (sponsor) there now.