Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Group Builds > What-If Group Build

Notices

Unread September 27th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Default 1/72 CF-18B CAF-Nunavut

Ok here is my new whif project, a CAF two-seater hornet with Nunavunian markings. The kit is Hobbycraft, which I got in the bargain bin for $5...

This kit has serious fit issues as evidenced by a dry-fit of the major modules...

Today I started the process of filling and sanding with the large gaps between the wings and fuselage...

The underside is considerably more problematic. I'll do what I can but the fit really is atrocious...

The tail art will feature polar bears of course - something like this but posterized perhaps...

Nunavut coat of arms somewhere along the sides of the forward fuselage...

And a digi-snow camo, shades of icy blue over the top of the plane, two-toned scheme of light gray underside and insignia white on top. Anyway, I've had enough building for today. Gonna start making decals.

Last edited by JohnAnthony; September 27th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Unread September 27th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Not an Admin Anymore

I know it's a WHIF, but you may want to fill in the slots on the LEX fence beside the cockpit. Production jets didn't have them.

The polar bear tail art sounds cool. What about an Inukshuk for the wing markings?
Unread September 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Location: Earth, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Northern Hemisphere, Temperate Climate

Sounds cool.

I like the digi snow camo idea. My 0.02 on the markings. I'd use the inukshuk from the Nunavut flag as national markings instead of the coat of arms to take the place of place of roundels, and the star from the flag I'd put at the top of the tail, and Inuktitut identifiers would look really cool.

Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stop posting about models and make this your signature, yours could be like mine.

Look down, back up. Where are you? You're on Zone Five, reading the signature your signature could be like.

I'm on a computer.
Unread September 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Great advice guys, thank you! I will play around with all of those ideas. And thanks for letting me know about the LEX fence Colin. I'll fill it in.
Unread September 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Worked on some sanding today along with installing the air intakes and undersides of the LEX fences. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea that anyone would bother making such an utterly misshapen kit. I mean, why bother? Stay home and chug the Molsons. Oh well, I’m the sucker, I bought the thing. I’ll let this cure overnight and then attack it with Tenax, putty, and sandpaper tomorrow.

It looks like some 1.5mm styrene shims will fill in the gaps between the fuselage and LEX fences, as per Colin’s advice…

Mocking up some ideas for the markings. The digi-camo looks pretty good, what I was envisioning, but I’m not convinced of the Polar bear. Max, I like your idea of the star on the fins but I find the Nunavut flag and coat of arms rather cartoonish so I’m going to experiment with a real star in the upper left corner, aurora borealis covering the entire fin, and an inuksuk silhouetted in black in the lower right corner. I also really like the idea of Inuktitut markings.

I like the coat of arms but it needs to be a bit smaller I think – as small as I can get it without obvious pixilation. Like I said I find it cartoonish and would like to keep it small. As far as the roundels go this is going to be a CAF plane. I know it’s a whif but the idea that Nunavut (with their small tax base and GDP) could afford to buy even one F-18 stretches the limits of credulity.

Unread October 4th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Ok folks here’s an update on this project. I didn’t do much modeling this week but what time I did spend was dedicated to making this kit fit together, and it was no small task. The undersides of the wings were completely leveled, re-scribed, and some of the detail rebuilt with styrene. Here’s a pic in progress. You can see just how much putty and sanding was needed to shore everything up.

Tamiya white primer out of the rattle can…

I don’t know how much more I can do for this thing – little corrections here and there but that’s about it. This kit has definitely made me reassess my philosophy of buying junk kits just because they’re in the bargain bin. I still have to do some work topside on the LEX fences and the wing joins were re-sculpted altogether. Fortunately I can use the digi-camo scheme to camouflage the imperfections. I also ordered a couple of SLJ-5 ejection seats so the cockpit has to wait.

Played around with merging star/aurora/inuksuk pics for the tail art. This is my favorite so far…

Unread October 8th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Global-warming is a farce

Send a message via Skype™ to Samurai_Chris

Looks like she is coming along nicely!
Unread October 9th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks Chris. I'm enjoying this project except for the fact that the kit leaves a lot to be desired.

Quick update today. I started working on the scheme using the Testors decal system and it works pretty well. The film is rather thick but that’s actually an advantage in this case because it withstands quite a bit of manhandling. It has a nasty tendency to curl under the edges though so what I’m doing is putting big slabs of it over the surfaces, letting it dry, then trimming the edges. This is obviously going to take a lot of fussy trimming and touching-up but I’m confident that it’s going to work, which is a big relief.

Yeah I know I have some putty to fix. I’m sick of putty and sanding at this point. The scheme however, does do a decent job of covering up the rotten wing joins on this crappy model so I’m happy with that. The roundels and flags were taken from a Propagteam RCAF sheet, and I decided to go with Haze Gray on the underside…