Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Manufacturer's Corner - Active > Sprue Brothers / Steel Beach

Notices

Unread July 26th, 2012, 06:50 AM

Default Attention Mr. Roberts...

I've read your Finescale modeler article on building the Monogram F-14A. Great article! When you "penned" the panel lines, did you draw along the side of a raised panel line, or did you draw on top of the raised panel line?

I have 3 F-14A kits. Two Monogram and one Academy. Okay, the two monogram will be built as Jolly Rogers. One appears to be an early scheme in 1984, the other is later in the (TPS) scheme? The 1984 is hi-vis markings and flat gull gray overall. It does not show the blisters on the tail. Is the gun cover in the kit correct or do I need a Steel Beach replacement? The TPS scheme does show the tail blisters, and a TCS pod. Unfortunately, Sprue Bros is out of the TCS pods. What kind of gun cover is required for it? What suggestions do you have for the Academy offering? The one that I have is the "Sundowners" version in hi-vis markings. Your help is greatly appreciated. You should market a dvd tutorial in the building of the Monogram F-14's! I would buy it for sure!

As soon as I finish the Italeri Tornado that I'm currently building, my next build will be an old Monogram F-14A!

Thanks Mr. Roberts

Last edited by Big Texan; July 26th, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Unread July 26th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Mr. Roberts? I didn't know my dad was around! LOL

I drew along one side of the lines. I tried to stay on the same side for each line, but you can't really tell if you mess up. You're good to go on the gun vent that comes with the kit. There were still some of the early style vents around, but I believe VF-84 had the standard vents. I've got TCS pods all cast and will be taking them up to Sprue Brothers tomorrow. For the Academy kit, I'm also rereleasing the nose correction set. It's been OOS because of production problems. But, I've solved them and they will be available. Thanks for the kind words. Make sure to post pictures when you're done!
Unread July 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks Darren, I appreciate it! I will be patient and wait for Sprue Bros. to post them, especially for the Academy kit.

Will post them as they get done. Got to get this Tornado built finished.
Unread July 26th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I THINK the gun vents were changed to the NACA style beginning with the new build B's and D's and were part of the upgrades to the A's and rebuild B and D's. May be wrong on that.
Unread July 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6bill View Post
I THINK the gun vents were changed to the NACA style beginning with the new build B's and D's and were part of the upgrades to the A's and rebuild B and D's. May be wrong on that.
You are correct, but it depends on timeframe. The NACA vents started showing up on A's in after Desert Storm. So, it's good to check references.
Unread July 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM

Darren, would you get the True Details cockpit for the Academy kit, or is the kit cockpit all right? If anything, I was thinking of replacing the ejection seats with the True Details seats for the Academy bird.
Unread July 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Steel Beach Resin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
Darren, would you get the True Details cockpit for the Academy kit, or is the kit cockpit all right? If anything, I was thinking of replacing the ejection seats with the True Details seats for the Academy bird.
Actually, Aires came out with a cockpit set and nozzles for the Academy kit. While a bit pricey, they are really, really nice. However, you can also use the TD set. There are some issues with the top of the front wheel bay, but in the end it works.
Unread July 28th, 2012, 10:35 PM

Yeah, I love the Aires stuff, but I swear it costs more than the kit itself!

I was thinking of just using the kit cockpit and adding either TD seats or Verlinden seats. The seats will dress up the pit some.
Unread July 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Steel Beach Resin

I've always thought that with a good set of wheels and seats, even a mediocre model looks good. You have a good plan. That's what I did with my Tomcat build. I added seats and wheels. Get a couple sets of wheels from Royale Resin. They are gorgeous. I'd also pick up of drop tanks from RR as well. They make the Monogram kit look more like the Hasegawa kit.
Unread July 30th, 2012, 08:46 AM

Oh man, I didn't even think about the drop tanks! Royal Resin you say!
Unread July 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM

how about a you tube video by darren on the monogram tomcat that would be cool