Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Aviation Photography > Civilian & General Aviation

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread February 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM
f-15ERJ145's Avatar
f-15ERJ145 f-15ERJ145 is offline
If it ain't Boeing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,028
Default Our new paint jobs











__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread February 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM
GEH737's Avatar
GEH737 GEH737 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 1,568
Default

Hey Chris -

Did AMR have to pay Greyhound a royalty for the use of that forward logo???

Sorry about the ugly paint - we've had to go through that as well - I'd still rather have the classic schemes - but someone in management has to justify their paychecks..
__________________
I've finally admitted to myself that I'm a collector
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread February 25th, 2013, 08:54 PM
f-15ERJ145's Avatar
f-15ERJ145 f-15ERJ145 is offline
If it ain't Boeing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,028
Default



I actually like the new scheme. It has grown on me. At least i like it better on the RJs.
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread March 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Pete "Pig" Fleischmann's Avatar
Pete "Pig" Fleischmann Pete "Pig" Fleischmann is offline
Oh my God, I'm a Pilot!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 2,204
Default

I think AMR had to go to the silver paint because Airbus wont do bare-metal jets anymore- read that somewhere..I think. Or not..

Pig
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread March 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
f-15ERJ145's Avatar
f-15ERJ145 f-15ERJ145 is offline
If it ain't Boeing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete "Pig" Fleischmann View Post
I think AMR had to go to the silver paint because Airbus wont do bare-metal jets anymore- read that somewhere..I think. Or not..

Pig
AMR is supposed to be get'n 78's nxt year too. Those have to be painted.
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread March 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
adamitri's Avatar
adamitri adamitri is offline
Die-Hard Yankees Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Body in Texas, Heart and Soul belongs to Alaska
Posts: 1,397
Default

No gunship grey ?
__________________
90th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread April 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
intruder500's Avatar
intruder500 intruder500 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Vermont
Posts: 2,394
Default

Ummm:

Why do they have to be painted? I thought once you paid for the thing you could do pretty much anything you wanted within the regs of course. Please enlighten the unknowing...

Stephen C.
"spaz"
Intruder500
__________________
These Guys will put it anywhere you want it...
It's just a question of how close to you
do you dare put it!
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread April 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM
f-15ERJ145's Avatar
f-15ERJ145 f-15ERJ145 is offline
If it ain't Boeing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intruder500 View Post
Ummm:

Why do they have to be painted? I thought once you paid for the thing you could do pretty much anything you wanted within the regs of course. Please enlighten the unknowing...

Stephen C.
"spaz"
Intruder500
If you're talking about the 787, it's an airplane built from composite materials.
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread April 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Banker's Avatar
Banker Banker is offline
shibboleet
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by intruder500 View Post
Why do they have to be painted? I thought once you paid for the thing you could do pretty much anything you wanted within the regs of course. Please enlighten the unknowing...
This is my understanding, it may not be entirely true so feel free to correct me.

FAA requires bare aluminum fuselages to be painted for corrosion prevention. Not doing so incurs a fine paid by the airline to the FAA. AA decided that the labor and environmental costs of maintaining a painted fuselage (painting, stripping, repainting on a regular basis), coupled with the additional weight of the paint, was more than the cost of the fine so they just leave the aircraft unpainted (polished) and pay the fine.

Second, airlines rarely own the aircraft they fly. They are leased from large holding companies like GECAS, ILFC and ALC. Note the owner of ALC is Steve Udvar-Hazy, he also owned ILFC. Yes that Udvar-Hazy.
__________________
Quote:
Time Wounds All Heels
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread April 18th, 2013, 11:48 AM
f-15ERJ145's Avatar
f-15ERJ145 f-15ERJ145 is offline
If it ain't Boeing...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker View Post
This is my understanding, it may not be entirely true so feel free to correct me.

FAA requires bare aluminum fuselages to be painted for corrosion prevention. Not doing so incurs a fine paid by the airline to the FAA. AA decided that the labor and environmental costs of maintaining a painted fuselage (painting, stripping, repainting on a regular basis), coupled with the additional weight of the paint, was more than the cost of the fine so they just leave the aircraft unpainted (polished) and pay the fine.

Second, airlines rarely own the aircraft they fly. They are leased from large holding companies like GECAS, ILFC and ALC. Note the owner of ALC is Steve Udvar-Hazy, he also owned ILFC. Yes that Udvar-Hazy.
The reason AA is painting their airplanes is not because of the FAA. Those airplanes have been bare metal since AA has been AA. Our fleet being painted was the idea of our managements "rebranding".
__________________
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread April 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM
photogator's Avatar
photogator photogator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 299
Default

Here is a EMB-145LR in the new scheme arriving DFW

__________________
Happy Pony is on, and I am NOT missing Happy Pony!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.