Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Jet Aircraft Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread August 11th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Default 1/48 Trumpeter A3D-2 Skywarrior

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of building the Trump A3D-2, and thought I'd put up a few comments. Sorry, no pics at this time. Hopefully, people with a lot more knowledge of A3Ds can chime in with more. I'm pointing out a lot of Steel Beach aftermarket because 1) Darren has a lot of good stuff for the kit and 2) nobody else has stepped up, yet. I have no affiliation with Darren or Steel Beach, yada, yada....

Tommy Thomason has a ton of good info on his blog. Since I don't know very much about A3Ds, this is where I've got most of my info on what needs to be fixed on the kit:
http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2...kywarrior.html

Ben

First off, the kit is more of a Version (i.e., tankers, etc.) than a bomber. It has:
- the later cambered leading edge (CLE) wing that featured a slight increase in chord and added slats inboard of the engines, which limits the number of pointy-nose bombers you can build with the kit (to about 3 HAV-1 jets, by my count), unless you modify the slats. See the drawing on Tommy's site.
- Version main gear wheels with the protruding brakes (Steel Beach has bomber replacements)
- the cockpit is more of a Version, but I think it will be hard to see in the completed model.
- I haven't found any good pictures, but I think Parts F10 and F48 make up a folding jumpseat? If so, I think the two photo etched harnesses should hang down from the top of the lower section of Part F10. Perhaps somebody can help out with some better info...
- rectangular Air Turbine Motor exhausts under the cockpit on both sides of the fuselage. On the bombers, they exhausted out of what Trumpeter represents with two round panels on the left side of the fuselage. For a bomber, fill the two rectangular exhausts and open up the two round panel lines.
- The raised pad for the inflight refueling probe needs to be shortened from the aft end (or entirely removed) for a bomber.
Something is screwed-up with the bomb bay fence (looks like a speed brake) forward of the bay. It's supposed to fit flush with the fuselage when closed.
- In that same area, the kit is missing the slots for the catapult hooks.

Here's what I've found while building the kit:
- The photo etched consoles are completely useless. They don't have enough relief for the "detail" to show through a coat of paint. I wouldn't bother with them. Just scribe some deep lines where the breaks between the panels would go and then add knobs and switches from stretched sprue.
- The pilot's seat is wrong, but Steel Beach sells replacement seats.
- The decal that is supposed to go on the back of the clear instrument panel so that dials will show through doesn't match the clear instrument face openings, so it isn't useable. The instrument panel is too wide for the fuselage and needs some trimming.
- The bomb bay, crew entrance tunnel, nose gear well, and cockpit are supposed to be assembled as one unit, then added to the fuselage. Unfortunately, they don't fit very well, and the bomb bay bulkheads and Parts R2 & R3 distort the fuselage. I would suggest adding the assemblies individually, so you can tweak everything.
- The bulkhead for the radar unit is too big and keeps the fuselage from closing completely.
- There is no way to positively place the bomb bay doors if you want them closed, which leads to lots of swearing. The doors are not quite 1mm too short for the opening. I'm still trying to engineer a solution, since the bomb bay provides some much-needed bracing for the fuselage.
- The tabs on the forward ends of the speed brakes should be in the same plane as the rest of the panel. Trump has them sticking out at an angle as locating tabs. Easy fix, though. If you want the brakes closed, they fit pretty well. Just cut off the tabs, install the speed brakes, then trim the tabs to fit and stick them in the appropriate slots.

That's about as far as I've got on my kit. I'm still stuck trying to get the bomb bay doors closed.

Ben

Last edited by BenB; August 11th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.
Unread August 12th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question but...

Can you tell me how wide the fuselage is at the cockpit on this kit?

Oddball question I know - but I am thinking about doing something with one of these kits that is a bit out-of-the-ordinary.
Unread August 12th, 2013, 04:17 PM

Hi Dave,

It's hard to get a good read on the outside width right now, because the fuselage is pretty flexible without the innards installed. The widest point at the aft cockpit bulkhead is ~46 mm. The width of the bulkhead itself is 43 mm.

HTH.

Ben
Unread August 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the info Ben - that's what I needed to know. That is probably going to be a bit thin for the project I am planning.
Unread September 22nd, 2013, 10:57 AM

Finally got to spend more quality time with the kit. Few more things for anyone building this kit:
- I was able to tack the bomb bay doors in place in their respective fuselage halves using super glue and accelerator. I then reinforced the joint with epoxy. It isn't necessary to keep the bomb bay if you build the doors closed. The other bulkheads will provide enough rigidity. You'll still want to glue a few styrene tabs along the upper fuselage above the bomb bay and on the belly, at the deflector fence, just to reinforce the joints there.
- Cut the main gear well bulkhead (G25) in half, so you can install each main gear well separately. They're a little fiddly to get into place, and this makes it a lot easier. Part F2 can be omitted.
- The nose gear strut cannot be installed once the well is put together, but the strut is strong enough that it shouldn't be in much danger of getting broken (famous last words!).

I'll probably have more to share when I get to the engines and wings.

Ben
Unread February 8th, 2014, 09:15 AM

Default Re: the jet intakes

To me the jet intakes are a little wonky. They have too much of a curve inwards to the intake opening. Anyone else think so? Need replacement intakes for it.
Unread February 12th, 2014, 05:13 AM

Thanks, Ben.

Interesting thread.

Perhaps you (or Darren himself) could add a list of the sets that Steel Beach make.
I took a look at the Spruebrothers website and I did not see the bomber wheels or pilot seats.
Are these available separately or are they part of the bigger conversion sets that I did see.

Cheers, Stefan.
Unread March 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM

A few more things:

- I agree with jpk that the intakes look odd, but I can't really tell exactly what it is about them that is off.
- Trumpeter got the air deflector fence forward of the bomb bay completely wrong. They have it scabbed onto the surface of the belly, while it should fit inside a well, like the speed brakes do. The best way to fix this is to close the bomb bay doors, fill the indention that part of the fence fits into, then rescribe everything.
- The separate control surfaces don't fit worth a damn. I really wish manufacturers would stop this. It just inflates the parts count and increases the number of fit problems the kit has.
- Just like every other model ever made with separate slats, this one has a lip where the slats meet the wing that needs to be smoothed down with styrene and putty.
- An odd thing about Trumpeter's plastic that I ran into on their 1/32 F-100: the plastic repels paint, even after you go over it with alcohol. The undersides of the ailerons and one wing half made Tamiya white lacquer primer bead up like water on a freshly-waxed car. I've since sanded these parts down and wiped them with acetone, but I haven't had a chance to paint them again.

I'll really be glad to get this one off of my bench. Trumpeter kits really annoy me!

Ben
Unread April 5th, 2014, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to richter111

they dont always mix the plastic properly. I ran into that with a old Hasegawa kit. Nothing I tried worked. The only thing I did not try was a Castrol Super Clean bath,
Unread December 21st, 2014, 01:43 PM

Thank-you excellent and really useful thread. I am currently working on the latest release 02869 KA-3B, agree the kit supplied etch is not really worth a damn. This kit has the EKA-3 ECM side blisters on the frames (a hint of what is to follow). My biggest concern at this stage is the canopy shape. From the link supplied in post#1, my kit has come with the very early type canopy (version A3D-2P/Q original) - which won't even work with the aftermarket masks (eduard, furball) as far as I can see. I will attempt to sand down frames and use the drawings from the supplied link, but also wonder is the shape even right? Seems awfully " tall" to me compared to hasagawas 1/72....... By my eye at least.

EDIT: getting into the build now. In my rush to pick up a bargain and my desire to build the KA-3B, I really thought I had a winner......the clue should have been in the box art & the kit supplied decals (a machine from VAQ-132). So whilst the hose reel looks good (not sure about the basket!), the forward part of the bomb bay is the ECM operators cabin. This might explain the kit supplied canopy (from Tommy Thomason's link) it appears to be a very early version, built for higher altitudes (pressurisation). My intent is to build the kit with the canopy roof open and the crew access hatch open - although the ECM operators cabin physically blocks this, which cannot the the case in real life.

I am just finishing off 2 x Trumpeter F-8s (yes, "2", because the quality of the build was so good & enjoyable, I had to build another!). But this KA-3B is clearly going to be a b***h to build. This was supposed to be the "fun build" over Christmas holidays........

Last edited by FIGHTS-ON; January 16th, 2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Update on build
Unread December 29th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGHTS-ON View Post
This was supposed to be the "fun build" over Christmas holidays........
Which is exactly why mine hasn't moved from the Shelf of Doom since August 2013! Maybe someday.

Ben
Unread January 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM

Not intended to be a WIP but rather a quick illustration on the bomb bay arrangements on Trumpeters 02869 KA-3B. (Also posted on Britmodeller Rumourmonger page)

"I am working on the 02869 KA-3B kit now. Parts in box allow you to build an EKA-3B (side blisters & spare tail with ECM fairing on top. If i can find a camera I'll post some WIP phots & update this post with a hyperlink. Ref the drogue basket - lovely detail in kit (incl photo etch - BUT can only be built in the deployed "open" position. So i've got the Steel beach "stowed" drogue (& its a more accurate shape to the housing as well). Internal hose on reel is great, however kit only gives you half a bomb bay, with forward half filled with ECM operators cabin - with no detail on underside of cabin, so posing with bomb bay doors open (to show off hose reel) will require some scratch detailing. Canopy framing is wrong (as noted above). Canopy in this kit is one of the older(?) high altitude types - I intend to sand down framing & re do (with top hatch open). Top tip I picked up on Zone-Five was to cut down the internal bulkheads - they are at least 1-2 mm too wide. Oh, and did I mention I am having real issues getting any paint (or undercoat) to adhere to the plastic!!!!!!.WIP phot: Steel Beach stowed IFR drogue attached, refueling hose assembly still to be added to rear of bomb bay, forward part of bomb bay filled" with left over etched bomb bay doors(see post #32) (I'll add some wiring & boxes later) on the bottom of the ECM operators cabin (only installed so as to provide strength to fuselage). Crew access 'tunnel' boxed in with plastic card as this version of Trumpeter's kit doesn't provide it due to ECM operators cabin."
Unread February 16th, 2015, 06:28 PM

My KA-3B now at 95% complete (WIP at Britmodeller http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i.../#entry1881565)

To add to the list of recommendations/issues:
- undercarriage very weak. Whilst strong enough to hold up model, there is a lot of "wobble". Recommend the SAC white metal.
- I still remain convinced the curse of Trumpeter canopies has also struck with this kit. Now the masking has come off, the "brow" just ahead of the pilot is too high and needs to be sanded off and re-painted 1-2mm further down.
- Trumpeter plastic. I have lost count how many times even TAMIYA masking tape has completely removed the paint on the kit. I have primed and even used automobile industrial strength (!) paint (white), but a very frustrating business. recommendation...no idea, possibly a good wash of the plastic with washing up liquid before assembly?
- Previously commented on, slats, flaps etc on this kit difficult to fit without fit issues. Picture below shows what I reckon to be the slats protruding too far forward.
- Bomb Bay doors.......these have a straight edge, whilst the lower fuselage is slightly curved, Heaven knows how you'd attach these closed, but open required some serious super glue. recommend scratch build some actuators (at forward & aft end of bomb bay.

However, may I still congratulate Trumpeter for providing this kit. I put myself into the "very average" skill bracket, and I reckon I've pulled off a reasonable finish......and you know any serious USN jet builder just has to have one of these in their collection....

Last edited by FIGHTS-ON; February 16th, 2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: My spelling is awful!
Unread February 18th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Trust me, I'm an engineer

Regarding Trumpeter's plastic, a friend who works in a model shop said that Trumpeter use up to 75% recycled plastic in their kits. No doubt because it is cheaper than virgin polystyrene. Obviously I can't verify that, but the problems with paint adhesion may be caused by the grade of plastic?

Jens
Unread February 9th, 2016, 06:49 PM

Default More on Trumpy A-3 intakes

It is not just the intakes as was pointed out to me. The whole engine nacelle structure is bad. Rather than go through the list of errors, simply go to Hypersonic's website and look into getting Jeffrey's Nacelle replacement set. It is utterly fantastic. Corrects many of the issues with the Nacelles. Canopy note. Jeffrey is also working on a corrected canopy as well as a set of gear wells. The mains are really wrong.