Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Tweaks Lists > Jet Aircraft Tweak Lists

Notices

Unread March 16th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Oompa

Default The 1/48 Revell EA-6A

In doing some research for a rebuild project, I found some interesting info I wanted to pass along. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures to post at this time, but it's a simple fix I think.

I'm a HUGE fan of test jets and jets with just odd stuff hanging off them, and VAQ-33 played an interesting role while at Boca Chica Field. VAQ-33 was tasked in the adversary role while stationed at Key West and they had all types of pods and the like hanging from their wings..typically they flew with the drop tank on the centerline, ALQ-167 on the port center wing station, and other pod types on the others. Regardless, their jets were very patchy and dirty in appearance which makes them interesting to me.

The project: 1/48 EA-6A from VAQ-33 (low vis) 151599, side number 104.

151599 was a new build EA-6A from what I've read on it. During the end of the EA-6A's service life, the OWP or outer wing panels were modified to accomodate the lower wingtip receiver (note ziggyfoos notes below) and thus had the wingtip slime lights as well.

So, if you're building the Revell kit, you will need to do some minor cutting, and replace the OWP with ones from the A-6E kit and fill in the speed brake panel lines. As soon as I get around to actually getting the project underway, I'll post pics of the surgery.

Attached are some links to photos of 151599..pay close attention to the wing tips.

Also of note are some different antennas on the spine in the lower photo.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...45cf042dc440fe

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...45cf042dc440fe

Last edited by Brian Marbrey; March 17th, 2015 at 10:54 AM.
Unread March 16th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Thanks Brian, I have that project in my future build stash. I like the low vis...

Jeff
Unread March 16th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Regular schmoe...

Interesting stuff. I never heard of an EA-6A with the wings like that. Looking forward to your build on that. Are there decals available for these guys?

I remember the EA-6As from detting down to Key Weird...that and VAQ-209 next door to us at NAS Norfolk. Damn, I wish I took more pics!

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

Hobbyboss TBF-1C

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Unread March 17th, 2015, 10:02 AM

I'm not seeing what I think I'm understanding you're pointing out.

The photos you linked to show the 1980's introduced slime lights and also the forward/lower wingtip receiver, but I'm not seeing any speed brake hinge components?

Here's a similar angled view of an A-6E to the EA you posted, this one shows the large speed brake hinges:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...2342d6473e08ad
Unread March 17th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Oompa

Hey Ziggy..this is what I got from a former EA-6A AE, looks like I need to correct my tip:

"All EA-6A's had the A-6 wing, it was the OWP -outer wing panel- that was modified ie; for stations A & B & the reason for the speed brakes to be retained on the fuselage."
Unread March 17th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Oompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Interesting stuff. I never heard of an EA-6A with the wings like that. Looking forward to your build on that. Are there decals available for these guys?

I remember the EA-6As from detting down to Key Weird...that and VAQ-209 next door to us at NAS Norfolk. Damn, I wish I took more pics!

I had some custom decals done for 151599 a couple years ago. This is going to be a rebuild project of a previous build, so I can accurately portray the jet.
Unread March 17th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Ah OK, that quote makes sense, but it sounded to me in your original post that you were saying on later EA-6A's the wingtips "were modified to accomodate the speed brakes" - as in the speed brakes were *added* to the wingtips.

The EA-6A didn't have the wingtip speed brakes that the attack versions had. The attack versions eventually disabled the fuselage brakes in the late 60s and only used the wingtip brakes, the EA-6A continued to use the fuselage brakes and didn't have wingtip brakes.

You shouldn't need to correct the wingtips if you're using the Revell EA-6A kit. The kit has it correct surprisingly (should be all smooth), and also has the correct EA-6A third wing fence and third pylon on the outer wing section only applicable to the EA-6A. The kit may not have have the lower ALQ receiver though on the wingtip as shown in the low-viz photos you posted.
Unread March 17th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Oompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyfoos View Post
Ah OK, that quote makes sense, but it sounded to me in your original post that you were saying on later EA-6A's the wingtips "were modified to accomodate the speed brakes" - as in the speed brakes were *added* to the wingtips.

The EA-6A didn't have the wingtip speed brakes that the attack versions had. The attack versions eventually disabled the fuselage brakes in the late 60s and only used the wingtip brakes, the EA-6A continued to use the fuselage brakes and didn't have wingtip brakes.

You shouldn't need to correct the wingtips if you're using the Revell EA-6A kit. The kit has it correct surprisingly (should be all smooth), and also has the correct EA-6A third wing fence and third pylon on the outer wing section only applicable to the EA-6A. The kit may not have have the lower ALQ receiver though on the wingtip as shown in the low-viz photos you posted.
I got my wires crossed in my original post. I was going back and forth between FB and airliners trying to make sure I had the data and links to be correct. Glad you chimed in and clarrified the info.

Interestingly enough, they'd make a good decal subject I think. I thought about covering them when I was in the decal game a few years ago but I was lacking references.

Thanks again for jumping and helping amigo.
Unread August 1st, 2015, 06:40 PM
Sierra Hotel Models

Some good information here. I heard of the wingtip Speed Brake difference between the A-6E and EA-6A from Rich Brumm, who is doing our 32nd EA-6A Conversion.

It should also be noted that the 48th Revell EA-6A "Football" or tail antenna has the wrong cross section, as it's more like the EA-6B.

Mike V