Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Choppers

Notices

Unread January 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM
S/F not just a saying

Default Gallery H-34 review

Let me first say that while I like the H-34, I am no except so I may get things incorrect. I will be mostly be using Lundh's H-34 book and Squadron in action also by Lundh. I also plan to look over the Revell kit, while I don't think there is going to be much to compare since there is 30 years between molds, it will be interesting to see what Revell did right so long ago. I hope to not only note discrepancies but mention possible fixes.

For the non-rivet counters,
Overall it appears to be a good kit and most folks will see it has an H-34 if they know what it is.

For the markings, the box art is of HMM-162 around 66/67 before they transitioned into the H-46 and not of them in-country as the artwork seems to suggest. 162 was in-country from 62/63 and 65/66. The noseart was not present and only had YS+bird # on the nose. Also the yellow tail stripe was removed.

For the next scheme of HMM-363, [s]it appears that it might be missing the unit logo of a white four leaf clover w/a red lion in the center.[/s] It is also missing the YZ66 across the nose. This is also state side markings when they deployed to Alaska, similar to the 162 markings it should have a green color applied to the transmission cooler vents where 162 had red.

http://dmn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/w...orH-34USMC.jpg

The final scheme is for the Reserve unit at Alameda,CA from 1968-72. The 's' is incorrect and should be a '5'. Missing star and bar on left side profile.

With all the heroic work the H-34 provided in Vietnam, it is a shame that none of the decal schemes represent that.

Lundh's H-34 book has photo of the last two schemes on pg 120 and 122.

For the rivet counters out there I have seen the following in no order:
PE screens, great addition but it is blocked off under the pe by moderately thick plastic so all the engine and rotor housing area work is covered up. It will take sometime but I think the plastic can be removed.

The transmission cooling vents behind the rotor are the incorrect design. The plastic is uniform and it should not be. No easy fix.

For the fold tail section, it is mostly correct. J3,4,8,9 should be 'V' shaped not straight.
J26 middle hole on left side is to large, fill and re-drill smaller hole
J21 add missing ledge and cover rectangle piece on bottom
Add wire attaching to both sides

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...4DSeahorse.jpg

Under nose add plumbing even if adding armor plate. None of the kit schemes suggest plate is needed and should be left off. Not sure about the rest of the underside, the kit appears to be missing some bits. Almost sure for the given schemes, more research is needed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6621998...57629786157789

Hope that helps for now. I plan to add more later.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Last edited by TANK; January 27th, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Unread January 27th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Thanks Tank! Sounds like a great kit, I'll have to have one, hope they arrive in the states soon.
Chuck
Unread January 27th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis252 View Post
Thanks Tank! Sounds like a great kit, I'll have to have one, hope they arrive in the states soon.
Chuck
They are available at Sprue Brothers and Scale Hobbyist, at least. I got my Navy kit from SB last week.

Interestingly, the parts in the Navy and Marine kits are identical. The decals, and which parts are noted to not be used, are the only difference. Also, both kits only have the later straight leg gear, even though the Marine kit box art shows the bent leg gear.
Unread January 27th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Internet Hero

I see what you mean now about the screens over engine/rotor/tail rotor. Ouch

From Cybermodeler:

Not sure what you mean about transmission cooling vents behind the rotor being incorrect design. Don't have a good pic of the kit part.

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread January 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Can't see the pics Sabre Freak.
Chuck
Unread January 27th, 2013, 04:24 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Freak View Post
Not sure what you mean about transmission cooling vents behind the rotor being incorrect design. Don't have a good pic of the kit part.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Choctaw/8541.htm
Here is what it looks like.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ki...ml#.UQWotWcWas

Bottom left is the kit part. It has the vents going from the edge to the center and a support in the center of the vent.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Last edited by TANK; January 30th, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Unread January 27th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Internet Hero

Ah! See it now, thanks.

"Man gets shot that's got a gun, there's room for reasonable doubt. Man gets shot that hasn't got a gun, what would you call it?" John T. Chance
Unread January 30th, 2013, 12:06 PM
S/F not just a saying

I talked to Scale Warships about the blade fold. It will work with the Gallery or Revell kit. They are making a set just for the Gallery kit since the Italeri fuselage is smaller than the Gallery kit but that only effects the blade holders I am told. Their products are only at their site currently.

http://www.scalewarship.com/store/in...product_id=263

Additional if you want to go with the Revell kit, Ross McArthur of Oz is making a PE set. Release date unknown.

Unread January 31st, 2013, 05:59 PM

I don't get this. The kit includes half of each type of flotation device. Round compresses air canisters but no wheel hub float container. Donut type floats for the three wheels but no compressed air canisters for this type. What am I missing?
Unread January 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iv198 View Post
I don't get this. The kit includes half of each type of flotation device. Round compresses air canisters but no wheel hub float container. Donut type floats for the three wheels but no compressed air canisters for this type. What am I missing?
Looking at Lundh's book, the kit would be correct for a Belgian scheme. Which has the donuts floats and one canister but on the bent legs from his photos in the book.

For the Italian scheme in the Navy kit, it appears you could use the kit v-legs, L44 and canister parts L21/22/32/33 and be correct.

I think parts L44 are supposed to be the wheel hub canisters.
So to make that work you need 4 round canisters and thin sheet of plastic to make a shelf for them to rest on the v-legs.

or you could go the German route with the kit parts L21/22/32/33 on the v-legs.

HTH
Unread January 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM

Ok... I was wondering if L44 were the canisters or part of the rocket launchers since they are right next to the launchers on the sprue. They also are exactly the same diameter as the launchers. Go figure.
I have the Lundh In Action book from Squadron and I now see a variety of configurations for the floats but I don't see any donuts floats without the quad canisters. I also don't see these parts anywhere in the kit. Rats!
I really what to do a JFK era VH-34 from HMX-1. Just need to figure out the donut float setup (can't find any close-up pics). I haven't figured out what to do with the wide window door. Maybe I'll hold out for someone to make a resin replacement. Dave Roof made up some decal profiles and one included a presidential transport. I' also hoping he'll revive these when he finds time. I'm patient.
Thanks for the info Tank.
Unread February 1st, 2013, 04:46 AM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iv198 View Post
Ok... I was wondering if L44 were the canisters or part of the rocket launchers since they are right next to the launchers on the sprue. They also are exactly the same diameter as the launchers. Go figure.
I have the Lundh In Action book from Squadron and I now see a variety of configurations for the floats but I don't see any donuts floats without the quad canisters. I also don't see these parts anywhere in the kit. Rats!
I really what to do a JFK era VH-34 from HMX-1. Just need to figure out the donut float setup (can't find any close-up pics). I haven't figured out what to do with the wide window door. Maybe I'll hold out for someone to make a resin replacement. Dave Roof made up some decal profiles and one included a presidential transport. I' also hoping he'll revive these when he finds time. I'm patient.
Thanks for the info Tank.
I thought that also about L44 at first. If you look on the backside of the part it has a open center rod coming out of it and the center circle looks to be the same diameter as the raised center of the tire.

This is the Lundh book you need. Link

Pg.32 in the Squadron has some detail shots of the set up in the upper right.

Wish Mike Leahy was still around I could get some more details on those birds as he flew them with HMX. If you search for either VH-34 or H-34 gate guard at New River. That is a VH-34 bird. It has the v-legs but also the rectangle kicksteps (not in the kit).

Last edited by TANK; February 1st, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Unread February 1st, 2013, 08:26 PM

Right you are. Took it off the sprue and it fits right onto the wheel hub.
I just noticed the steps but it doesn't appear to be a problem modifying the kit parts. The kit also contains the framework for the 2 rail boarding ladder (K32) and the handhold (L14). There are even flashed over holes on the right side of the cabin door that fit that part. Not all the ladder is there but seems like another easy fix.

It's a curious kit for sure. A little bit of this and that and we're left with wondering what the possibilities are for the next release, if one comes. Maybe I'll wait and see if they decide to release an EFD bird. It's not like I don't have a stash staring at me everytime I walk into the closet.

Next step...add another book to the library.
Unread February 5th, 2013, 11:32 PM

Default Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There have been several items pointed out regarding this kit. there are a couple that I would like to add.

For example why would you give a folding tail option when the is not option to fold the rotors. Rotors are always folded before the tail to conserve space.

Did anyone notice that the Single low exhaust pipe is on the sprue with the right door for the 3 stack high exhaust and vice versa.

The sprue with the tripod landing gear comes with the half round kick steps. Is there a sprue with the bent leg and square kick steps? If not why molded this way.

What are all the extra belts on the second PE fret for 3-4 , 56 78 9-11, 10-12? could those be straps for the missing stretchers we were supposed to get in both kits?

Part number L2 is the float bag used under the tail of the VH-34 but there is no web or strapping detail.

All things considered I like the kit a lot it has great potential. I saw one post that the Navy Bird was wrong because the window in the sliding door was in the center not the left edge. and the lack of ASW gear. If the Bird is an SH-34J that is correct if it was a UH-34J it looks just like the Marine bird. I n my opinion Gallery/Trumpeter/Hobby Boss whoever actually produced the kit was in a hurry to get this kit to market and skipped some details. It appears that we may see several reboxings with different decals. The decals by the way are by far the biggest disappointment. As Tank pointed out none of them is correct. I will have more on this latter.

Aloha

Gary
Unread February 6th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Tun Tavern 1775

Gary,

Glad to see you here on Z-5! I spoke to Sherman Collings about this kit at the Nats last year in Orlando. He did in fact say that other versions would be coming, to include a dedicated VH-34 version with VIP interior. However, he didn't have a time frame as to when they would appear.

Don't have any answers for the other details you pointed out, but I do have a decal sheet coming for the kit. I'm rearranging the layout and hope to have it to the printer for a quote by the weekend. If all goes well, it will be next after the 32nd sheet I have coming at the end of the month.

By the way, I got your PM and will be answering that shortly.

S/F,

Dave
Unread February 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM

[quote=Dave Roof;
I spoke to Sherman Collings about this kit at the Nats last year in Orlando. He did in fact say that other versions would be coming, to include a dedicated VH-34 version with VIP interior.

...I do have a decal sheet coming for the kit. I'm rearranging the layout and hope to have it to the printer for a quote by the weekend. If all goes well, it will be next after the 32nd sheet I have coming at the end of the month.
[/QUOTE]

WAHOOOOO!
Unread February 6th, 2013, 09:52 PM

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Roof View Post
Gary,

Glad to see you here on Z-5! I spoke to Sherman Collings about this kit at the Nats last year in Orlando. He did in fact say that other versions would be coming, to include a dedicated VH-34 version with VIP interior. However, he didn't have a time frame as to when they would appear.

Don't have any answers for the other details you pointed out, but I do have a decal sheet coming for the kit. I'm rearranging the layout and hope to have it to the printer for a quote by the weekend. If all goes well, it will be next after the 32nd sheet I have coming at the end of the month.

By the way, I got your PM and will be answering that shortly.

S/F,

Dave
Dave,

I am working on converting my artwork to 1/48 and verifing that it will fit the Gallery kit as well. I am waiting to see what your schemes and Caracal Models schemes are so I do not duplicate efforts. This will be the first Screen printed set from Marine Air Graphics so I do not want to compete but would rather complement what is already in production. None of us is going to get rich making decals no sense in stepping on each others toes.

S/F

Gary
Unread February 7th, 2013, 09:45 PM

Good job TANK.
Unread February 9th, 2013, 01:19 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
Good job TANK.
Thanks bro. Your Monogram kit type posts are my guide.

Had some time to mess around with the kit.

Looking at the tail, there is a number of spots where you add pe that should be drilled out. There is some raised detail but I think it is too proud and should be filed down a little bit. The plastic is soft, so don't get carried away with sanding.

If you look at the rectangle on the tail, you need to drill out two additional rectangles as they are not added.

Also missing is a looped wire just above the screen at the elbow of the tail on top.

While we are at the elbow on top. Gallery gives you two sections, the top section that they call out appears to be correct. The lower section seems to covered over with a plate. So either sand off the three raised sides completely or sand a little bit and add a some thin plastic as a cover.

Still have to do the small rectangles at the base of the tail.

Last edited by TANK; February 9th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Unread February 10th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGOne View Post
Dave,

I am working on converting my artwork to 1/48 and verifing that it will fit the Gallery kit as well. I am waiting to see what your schemes and Caracal Models schemes are so I do not duplicate efforts. This will be the first Screen printed set from Marine Air Graphics so I do not want to compete but would rather complement what is already in production. None of us is going to get rich making decals no sense in stepping on each others toes.

S/F

Gary
Gary,

Here are first four aircraft I am covering. There will be at least four more, but I haven't nailed down the airframes yet.

The profiles will be updated as well. Not very happy with these!