Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Jets

Notices

Old November 9th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Old Cranky Bastard

Default 1/48 Scale Growler Question

Need some help folks, I would like to make a friend a 1/48 scale EA-18G as a desk top model in VX-23 markings.

What kit would be good to use for a desk top model?
Is this kit good enough? http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ita2716.htm
Does anyone make Growler Markings for VX-23 in 1/48 scale?

Friend got a ride in the back seat this week and thought it would be nice if he had something for his office. Not looking for the most detailed kit since this will be a gear up, canopy closed desk top model but would like something that looks like a Growler. I'm a 1/72 scale builder so 1/48 is a little out of my area, any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old November 9th, 2018, 02:03 PM

Hi Gerry,

IIRC, I thought I read that the Italeri kit is more representative of a preproduction Growler than a current fleet bird - but I could be wrong on this. Looking at the sprues on HobbySearch (aka 1999.co.jp), it seems like it would fit the bill. Hasegawa's Growler is pretty spot on, if you want to spend the money.

As far as decals, I couldn't find any Growler specific VX-23 decals. However Fightertown has a VX-23 sheet that covers -Bs, -Cs, Ds, Es, and Fs - you could most likely cobble something together from that. It's also in stock at Sprue Bros. as well.

Hope this helps.
Old November 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM

I don't know anything about this kit, but from what I've read about their F, I'd consider a Revell F with the Steel Beach EA-18G conversion set.

EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon...here's a review of the kit you referenced with the upgraded molds: http://www.kiwimodeller.com/index.ph...-mould-release

Maybe it's worth a shot after all?

Last edited by picknpluck; November 9th, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old November 9th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

Thank you gentleman!!!!!!

Greatly appreciate the feed back.

I pulled the trigger on the Italeri kit, Eduard instrument panel detail set, Furball Growler decals and the Fightertown VX-23 decals (all from Sprue Brothers of course). I think I can get a decent desk top model with those items and not break the bank.

People who disrespect the American flag never had to worry about coming home under one.
Old November 9th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

When the italeri kit first dropped as a F/A-18F, it was representative of a pre-production jet, with the legacy style airbrakes, ECS vents, and no pizza box. It was also a terrible fit. When they retooled it for the Growler package, I know they added the pizza box, but I don't know what other changes they made, if any.