Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Unread April 30th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Default How the 'moderated' unmoderated forum works

Gentlemen,

A couple of days ago there was an unpleasent exchange between myself and another forum member over content in a post, and how it was addressed.

First and foremost. Jim, I would like to apologize to you personally and publicly for my hand in what happened. It is my sincere hope that you will not leave the forums over our disagreement on how it was handled.

With that, I would like to briefly explain how the 'moderation' of this unmoderated forum works.

As it's been noted since day one, this is in fact an unmoderated forum in the following aspect. While there are four of us that do in fact have moderator capabilities, not a single one of us exercises those capabilities on our own. We do not take it upon ourselves to govern the content in the forums, nor do we scan the posts for "objectionable" content.

What I mean by that is this. If I (or any one of the other mods) read or see something that we don't agree with, or feel is crossing the line, we will not take any action of any type. We won't edit, delete, or alter the original post in any way. Nor will we contact the origonal poster and ask them to edit, delete, or alter the original post in any way.

However, if another member has an issue and takes the time to contact you with his concerns, please take a moment to consider those concerns.

Whether you (the original poster) choose to change it or leave it as is, is entirely up to you.......I say again, if you choose to leave it, that is your choice! Nothing will be done and the issue will be left alone.

The unmoderated format is working because of self moderation and the overall input of our peers.

I've said them before and I'll say them again:

- A well placed and timed F-bomb can be really, really funny. Using an F-bomb just to use it isn't funny.

- Photos of T&A can be a good thing.......to some. Just put a warning in your heading for those that don't wish to view such photos.

- Most of us are of the same frame of mind that you tell it like it is. However, we should also be of the same frame of mind that some lines shouldn't be crossed.

- Personal lives are just that.

I hope this answers a few questions that some of you may have and puts to rest any notion that the mods here 'run the show'. Far from it.....all 700+ members run the show.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to speak up.

Respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by Dave Roof; April 30th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Unread April 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Slacker Action

Send a message via Skype™ to Spaced

I think the format is working just fine.

I've redacted some of my own material, because as Dave said, what I think is funny others may not. No sweat off my back. We are all hopefully somewhere near mature adults in some kind of a professional setting.

That said, this here wheel ain't no where near broke, and is no where near in need of fixing.
Unread April 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Who's That At The Door..?

Not trying to start any shit, but....

Shouldn't this be in the O-Club? It just doesn't seem to fit in with the "General Modeling Discussion" theme...

I think we're all used to having the O-Club/Crud at the top of the Forum that having another "General" category at the top leaves it open for a lot of posts that maybe would be better at home in the OC/Crd threads?

http://www.scalewarbirds.com
Unread April 30th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKelley View Post
Not trying to start any shit, but....

Shouldn't this be in the O-Club? It just doesn't seem to fit in with the "General Modeling Discussion" theme...

I think we're all used to having the O-Club/Crud at the top of the Forum that having another "General" category at the top leaves it open for a lot of posts that maybe would be better at home in the OC/Crd threads?
I disagree. The O-Club and Crud forums are for off topic related discussions that really have nothing to do with modeling.

The General Discussion forum covers topics that are central to the hobby or the forums as a whole.

If members feel, or are aware that something they're posting belongs in the O-Club/Crud forums, then they should have enough sense to post them there.

If members feel a post made in the GD forum should be in the OC/C forums, respectfully and tactfully ask that it be moved.

This post is not off topic as it addresses an issue that involves every member here at Zone-Five.

Dave
Unread April 30th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I don't like SPAM!!

To be honest, if someone contacted me about another member's post, I don't think I'd do anything about it. The way this place works is that we are only here for administrative purposes and nothing else.

If you have "issues" with something someone has written on the forums, don't contact the "moderators" to sort it out for you. That's not what we're here for. Take it up with the individual concerned, either in the open on the forums or in private via PM.

The only time I see myself taking any action on a post or thread is if the originator needs me to do something that they can't do themselves or there is a group decision to alter or move something.

So, just to further clarify Dave's comments above, just as this place is unmoderated in that we don't go around deleting or modifying stuff that we don't agree with, we are also not here to sort out your personal beefs for you. That's up to you.

On the flip side if, as in this case, the "group" calls you out on your behavior, then you should be adult enough to accept that you've crossed the line and react appropriately.

Cheers,
Motty.

Mate, this parrot wouldn't "voom" if you put four million VOLTS through it!!?
Unread April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
What I mean by that is this. If I (or any one of the other mods) read or see something that we don't agree with, or feel is crossing the line, we will not take any action of any type. We won't edit, delete, or alter the original post in any way. Nor will we contact the origonal poster and ask them to edit, delete, or alter the original post in any way.

However, IF we receive a PM or email from another forum member that expresses concern over a particular post or its content, THEN we will contact the original poster and ask them to edit, delete, or alter the post.

Yeah, that's not a "mod" function.....we don't have "mods" to handle stuff like that. We ought to be able to handle things between us, unless you feel like you want to involve a neutral party somehow. I don't think any of the admin tyes is interested in acting as a "moderator" between members.

Jim is under the impression that you were acting in an "official" capacity, when that wasn't the case, because AFAIK we don't own anybody with an "official" capacity. I wish he'd taken it the way I think it was intended, which was a buddy pinging him to express a concern. I've been told a couple of times that I posted something dick-ish, so have you, and so have others....it isn't a big deal. I respected the views of my pards and edited what I wrote....so have you in the past. A bunch of people have gone back on their own to edit stuff, and a few times several folks said something in the open about something and the guys had the honor to respect that and alter the posts....no sweat. Were all just buds here folks....and I'm sorry Jim was confused about what was being asked.

Last edited by Afterburner Decals Scott; April 30th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.
Unread April 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motty View Post
If you have "issues" with something someone has written on the forums, don't contact the "moderators" to sort it out for you. That's not what we're here for. Take it up with the individual concerned, either in the open on the forums or in private via PM.

The only time I see myself taking any action on a post or thread is if the originator needs me to do something that they can't do themselves or there is a group decision to alter or move something.

So, just to further clarify Dave's comments above, just as this place is unmoderated in that we don't go around deleting or modifying stuff that we don't agree with, we are also not here to sort out your personal beefs for you. That's up to you.

Cheers,
Motty.
Motty and Scott,

You are both right and I should have thought about that. From this point on, if anyone is uncomfortable with a post or its content, simply PM or email the other member and politely and tactfully voice your concern.

However, do not be upset or angry if the original poster does not see eye to eye with you.

My apologies to the other mods on that point.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Roof; April 30th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.
Unread April 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Who's That At The Door..?

I respect your opinion, Dave. It's all pretty much academic, anyways. We will now resume our regular programming.....

http://www.scalewarbirds.com

Last edited by JamesKelley; May 1st, 2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: The Internet....It's SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!
Unread April 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

That's the burden of holding power. Even if you don't strike with the staff, people still notice you holding it. The reality of this forum is that we are not holding a fasci, but merely a mop. We function only as janitors in this group. When the party wraps up, we are the volunteers that agreed to stay late to help clean up the mess.

How the party turns out is up to each and every one of us.

On that note, I'd like to reflect the sentiments of the moderating staff. On a daily basis I get numerous emails reporting objectional threads to me. I ignore them as I did not volunteer to be anyone's father and I can attest that all of the mods hold the same viewpoint.What I do respond to are the reports of bugs in the forums and I help register new members, set up forums and kill spammers.

Reverting to the party analogy, we are all volunteers and we have already cycled through moderator membership. Any member at any time can volunteer and perform the role. Hell, I set up the boards so that I can hand over the reigns at any time to someone who wants to step up and play the role when the time comes. I hope you all will at any time will try to take the burden and hold restaint to the degree that the moderating staff has held since this board's creation.

With this thought in light, I have tried to remember that every time I post there may be a perception that it has come from the hand of god. Even though I'm the admin, I'm just a guy that plays with replica aircraft and enjoys low-brow humor, but the perception still exists. At times I would like to shed this role to play in the sandbox with the rest of the kids, but you all may play differently or cry foul thinking that the sandbox is mine when it has always belonged to the lot of us.

The same perception exists of the moderating staff. One word of reasoning and a protest of "help, help I'm being repressed is voiced." Knowing this, I changed all of the moderating staff's usermanes to something less authority-like to help them be more one of the gang has helped, until the "I think I am being disinfranchised" cry foul when they find themselves in a disagreement with one of the team and cry censorship.

My only thought on the thread mention is that I thought it would be funny as hell to change hornet78's user title to "lesbian trapped in a man's body."

Hold the staff, try the power and see if it corrupts.
Unread April 30th, 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburner Decals Scott View Post
Yeah, that's not a "mod" function.....we don't have "mods" to handle stuff like that. We ought to be able to handle things between us, unless you feel like you want to involve a neutral party somehow. I don't think any of the admin tyes is interested in acting as a "moderator" between members.

Jim is under the impression that you were acting in an "official" capacity, when that wasn't the case, because AFAIK we don't own anybody with an "official" capacity. I wish he'd taken it the way I think it was intended, which was a buddy pinging him to express a concern. I've been told a couple of times that I posted something dick-ish, so have you, and so have others....it isn't a big deal. I respected the views of my pards and edited what I wrote....so have you in the past. A bunch of people have gone back on their own to edit stuff, and a few times several folks said something in the open about something and the guys had the honor to respect that and alter the posts....no sweat. Were all just buds here folks....and I'm sorry Jim was confused about what was being asked.
Dick.

Last edited by strikeeagle801; April 30th, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Unread May 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
Not an Admin Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikeeagle801 View Post
Dick.
Hey! I'm a mod and I am not afraid to point and shake my finger at you.......now be nice and play along with everyone else. Now, lets all join hands and sing kumbiya......
Unread May 1st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Doin' it tac style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin K View Post
Hey! I'm a mod and I am not afraid to point and shake my finger at you.......now be nice and play along with everyone else. Now, lets all join hands and sing kumbiya......
Ooookaaaaay.....just make sure its your finger you're pointing and shaking....
Unread May 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
That's the burden of holding power. Even if you don't strike with the staff, people still notice you holding it.
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread May 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Bloody peasant.
Unread May 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Slacker Action

You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Unread May 1st, 2009, 09:22 AM
S/F not just a saying

I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread May 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Samurai Slayer

Can't we at least have a sub-forum in the Review section for strap-ons? That way we can all make informed decisions.

I'm just sayin'...
Unread May 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM

Never mind.

Last edited by strikeeagle801; May 1st, 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Unread May 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
Help, help! I'm being repressed.
(Bloody peasant)
Come see the violence inherent in the system!!
Unread May 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Slacker Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler4 View Post
Bloody peasant!
Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that,
eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me,
you saw it didn't you?