Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > The Hobby Room > The Workbench

Notices

Unread June 13th, 2018, 03:35 AM

Default 1/48 F-16AM RNLAF Demo Jet (Tamiya Conversion)

Hi Folks,

I finally began to tackle a kit, which is on my todo list for some time now.

It will be the F-16AM of the Solo Display Team of the Netherland Air Force in its stunning orange/black livery.
I will build it as an in-flight model, using the Syhart decals.

As I didn't want to wrestle with the Kinetic kit, I decide to go the route of using the Tamiya kit and the Kasl Hobby conversion kit, which includes a rear fuselage sectian and a tail apropriate for an AM Viper.

Further aftermarket accessoirs I intend to use:
  • Tamiya stiffener plates and probes
  • Aires resin nozzle
  • Royal Resin nose cone (I am not sure yet, If I really use it or go just with the kit parts.)
  • KT Model Resin Works Smokewinders

I started with the most intimidating step: the surgery of the upper fuselage, but everything went well:

And here, the rear parts in their place on the lower fuselage:

The fit is quite good, but of course a little bit of filler is still required. The shape and dimension match perfectly, panel line appearance fits to the Tamiya kit.

The fuselage parts are not glued together yet, I will do this when I attach the upper fuselage to the lower fuselage, to avoid any alignment issues.

Cheers,
Markus
Unread June 13th, 2018, 08:05 AM

Looks really nice. So dumb that Tamiya just sits on its ass all they need to do is a B version and we should all be happy. With a B version we could all do a A,C,B, or D airframe than.
Unread June 14th, 2018, 05:07 AM

Thank you.
Yes, a B would open up most of the variants. It is really a pity.

Work continues in small steps.

here is another picture of a dry fit, with the forward fuselage attached and dry fitted to the lower fuselage:

The next step was the air intake. to get a seamless intake, I used the proven method of mating the forward and rear parts of the intake, getting rid of the lateral seams, and then gluing upper and lower halfes together.

I glued a piece of styrene to the rear wall of the front wheel well on which the gear door will rest.

Here a dry fit to see if it will work:

Yep, looks good, even without glue.

Its hard to take pictures of white plastic ;-)

Cheers,
Markus
Unread June 18th, 2018, 02:45 AM

I made some slow but steady progress over the last weeks: Capt. Stefan "Stitch" Hutton - or at least the model of him - is ready to board the plane:

It is the Thunderbirds pilot figure with the standard helmet. The helmet was sanded smooth.

The helmet is painted using Mr. Paint colors specifically for this jet, and the markings are self printed decals, as are the shoulder patches

The original helmet has a pinstriped lion on the orange part, but that is too delicate to replicate.

I also painted the intake and the lower fuselage in light metallic orange, using the two layered Mr. Paint MRP-207.

The first layer is more ore less the orange base color, the second layer adds the metallic effect. White is the perfect base color for these paint.

Cheers,
Markus
Unread June 20th, 2018, 04:03 AM

The pilot also received kneeboards:

The black areas on the underside of the forward fuselage were painted, and then the intake was attached and the gear doors were glued in. Again, everything fit without hassle.

Next I glued in the cockpit and attached the upper fuselage. In the first step just the kit parts without the resin spine.

This allows me to check the position of the in-flight mounting socket.

The plane will be mounted on a 15mm acrylic rod, which will be inserted through the exhaust. 15mm is also the inner diameter on the smallest piece of the Aires exhaust.

If I just mounted the rod into the resin exhaust, it would not be very stable. I therfore glued a 15mm copper fitting to the back of the compressor fan with epoxy. It will carry the weight of the aircraft, the exhaust only acts as a guide.

When the epoxy was dry, I glued in the conversion spine. It was necessary to remove any excess epoxy from the outside of the fan part, since the resin part rests upon it.

Only a small gap on the back remains to be filled. The resin part shapewise fits perfectly, if some care is used during the gluing process.

Cheers,
Markus
Unread June 29th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Hi folks,

A few detail were added or removed to make an AM out of a C model.

Apart from the added stiffener plates, the RWR antennas on the leading edge of the wings were removed.
Also, the inboard LEF hinges lost one finger. On the underside, the forward chaff/flare buckets were filled.

Another thing is the vertical tail.

Although marketed as a tail for an AM, the tip is in fact the tip of a C tail.
For a Netherlands aircraft, RAM panels and sensors have to be added to the parabrake housing.

Cheers,
Markus