Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > General Modeling Discussion > General Modeling Discussion

Notices

Unread July 22nd, 2016, 09:00 AM

Default Do you order online or go to brick and mortar hobby stores?

Hey Guys,

Something just came to my mind after a discussion I had wit ha few modelers. While I'm pretty much doing all my researches on any kits online before buying and ordering online afterwards, others are spending more time and going to actual physical stores to pick up their kits. I see the pro and con of both solutions...

So I'm just wondering which way you guys are going usually?

A - Ordering Online mostly
B - Ordering and picking up in physical hobby stores

I'm pretty curious to see the results and I'd love to see some reasoning as well!

Have a great day!
Greetings, neu
Unread July 22nd, 2016, 07:26 PM

I like to use my LHS as a resource for paint, glue and small stuff. All of my kits and aftermarket items are pretty much via Internet shops......seem to be much cheaper even with shipping!

On the Board:
F-15C "Splinter" Camo
F-16D Oklahoma ANG
F-4C Oregon ANG
St. Louis F-15C
Unread July 22nd, 2016, 07:39 PM

For paint, glue, blades etc. I always buy from the local shops. Kits I will buy from the local shop if they have it, but I have no problem ordering stuff online either.
Wayne
Unread July 22nd, 2016, 10:05 PM
Old Cranky Bastard

I get 95% of my stuff online, the closest hobby store to me is a 2 hour drive (one way) away.
Unread July 23rd, 2016, 01:00 PM

I have to order online, as it's a 300+ mile drive to the closest hobby shop. One of the problems of living on the backside of beyond.

Chris
and something to shoot at?"
Unread July 23rd, 2016, 07:00 PM

An order from SB would arrive to my home faster than I could round trip from the nearest shop.
Unread July 31st, 2016, 12:27 PM

I 99% order online. There's only one hobby shop left where I live right now and it's honestly not all that affordable for plastic modelling stuff. For example, a 1/48 Tamiya F-16 there costs $99.99. On eBay, I can get one for $40 shipped.

Sometimes there's decent pricings on older stock (A 1/48 B-1 cost me $60 a couple years ago) but for the most part it's like double the online price.

Supplies like paint and glue I get at the store though. It's just faster to pick them up in person for only a couple bucks more than online.
Unread July 31st, 2016, 09:52 PM
Posterior Discomfort Facilitator

Send a message via MSN to Skull Leader

I get most of my stuff from Gordon online. The only brick and mortar store we have in town is Hobbytown USA, and they're INCREDIBLY proud of their prices, which are well north of what I'd pay anywhere else. I occasionally get paint or whatever "need now" implements I need, but I buy online wherever possible.

We used to have a great shop called Engine House Hobbies... they catered mostly to train guys but they had an excellent model section. They also bought collections from time to time, so you could find some good older kits on the shelf. Sadly the original owner died and the shop went into decline after that... they eventually got out of the kit business, and I'm not even sure they're still open.
Unread August 6th, 2016, 07:32 PM

Hi All:

I just found out my local guy is going out of business when He sells the building he is in. So I will be doing all of my stuff on line after that. Damn it!

Stephen C.
"spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Unread August 7th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Ack, Oop, THPPFFT Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGF15Guy View Post
I like to use my LHS as a resource for paint, glue and small stuff. All of my kits and aftermarket items are pretty much via Internet shops......seem to be much cheaper even with shipping!
Ditto. I'm friends with the local Hobbytown owner. I try order stuff from him 1st, but many times, if I want it, I got to go online.

"Stupidity is like nuclear power! It can be used for good or evil, and you donít want to get any on you." Dilbert.
Unread August 8th, 2016, 06:11 AM

I TRY to support the LHS (about 30mins away), but they keep making it harder. At one stage there, they were great - when the AUD exchange rate was awesome, and they were stocking Gunze paint and Squadron stuff, etc.

Alas, I find myself buying less and less there - mostly only Lifecolor paints (which I am not a HUGE fan of - they're ok, but I find they dry 'soft' and clog the airbrush pretty quickly - a HUGE pain in the arse when shooting luftwaffe mottles!) and Alclad Lacquers.

Kits I mostly buy through a secondhand kit dealer who always looks after me.

AM and Gunze Paints, come from BNA website.

Tools often come from eBay (as I use Medical and Dentail Instruments mostly).

Paper and Masking from the local hardware store (who dont have 2000grit paper ATM).

And for those other 'accessory' type items - PE Folders, Squadron Green putty, Tweezers, Mr Surfacer Spray, etc - where ever I can find them (LHS, Online Shops, eBay, etc).

Dan
Unread August 9th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Intentionally Left Blank

LHS have no one to blame but themselves for not lowering their prices when they should have...I'm literally 10 minutes from my LHS, and get a 20% discount, but even AFTER that, their prices are RIDICULOUS with a Tamiya 1/48 F-16 costing $80 after discount applied. When I did go there, the owner bitched and bitched about not getting any business so much I finally just stopped going.
Unread August 9th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Rank Amatuer

The closest kind of hobby shop is 120km up the road and 9 times out of 10 doesn't have what I'm after.

Online for me.
Unread May 4th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Default Mainly online but some local BM

I'll buy supplies like paint or glues from the local store but kits mainly online because I can get them for far less money than the local shop. I just bought the new(ish) Revell/ICM C-45 for $23.99 shipped from the UK! That was $23.99 total UK to my front door. New in the sealed box. It would have been at least $50.00 in the local shop plus tax. Besides, the local shop does little to refresh their plastic inventory and their bread and butter are RC cars, planes and electric trains.
Unread May 4th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Regular schmoe...

I'd go to a store in a second...if there was one near me

I used to live smack dab between two great hobby shops back when I lived in Pensacola. If I needed something, boom, shoot right on up the street. Now, the nearest store with any semblance of model supplies or kits is 2 1/2 hours away.

MAINT. CONTROL

IW

1/48 Academy F-4C, COL Robin Olds' bird

AWM
1/48 Collect Aire AF-2W Grumman Guardian (Restoration)
...I know, I'll get back to it soon enough!
Unread May 5th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Fox Mulder's Soul brother

Mine is 20 mins away, but rarely has what I want.... and is too pricey..
The other about an hour away,and can get me stuff generally in 48 hrs if not in stock..
and is cheaper than anyone else..
Unread May 5th, 2017, 08:51 AM

I try to support my local shop as much as possible. Some things, I've found online at significant savings, but if the price between online and the store is fairly close, I'll pay a few bucks more at the store and get the instant gratification as well as the satisfaction of supporting the local guy.
Unread May 5th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Accidental Cag...........and Jarhead

I have lived my whole life without that magical "LHS within less than 30 minutes away" that I read so much about.

When young, and living in a city, we lived in the residential part of the city, and the Hobby Shops were in the commercial sections. So, I walked 10-15 blocks to the Hobby Shop.

Then, we moved to Long Beach,,,,,,I have no idea how many hobby shops there were back then in LA County,,,,,,but, there were a lot. Closest "good" one to me was about a 1/2 hour bike ride. There was a "smaller" shop a few blocks from my Junior High, but in the opposite direction from our house. So, walking there after school took 15 minutes, and then the walk home was 45 minutes. The Squadron Shop was an hour away by car in Lakewood Shopping Center. Then, we moved to a farm in Wisconsin. Closest hobby shops were 2 hours away by car. At one point in my life, there was a really small group of kits being sold at the base hobby shop in Glenview NAS. Nearest "good" shop was, yeah you guessed it, about a half hour away by car.

I moved to the Nashville area 25 years ago,,,,,,we had over a dozen Hobby Shops at that time,,,scattered all over a city that is the size of a County. Yup, lived more than a half hour from the city, not right in Nashville.

The point of all of this? Well, between the distances "always being 1/2 hour or more" and the selection,,,,,,,I have always used mail order for most of my kits,,,,and the LHS for the occasional paint, glue, brush run,,,,,or to talk to other modelers for a while in person.

So, now that Phil has closed in Smyrna TN,,,,,,,I am perfectly okay with "click and order",,,,,,,,,it beats sending a money order by mail and then waiting 6-8 weeks for delivery.

I've seen some resistance over the years to ordering online,,,,,but, one has to wonder,,,,,,does the guy really want the stuff or not? Driving to a LHS and finding that he didn't have the kit you were after was almost a constant occurrence even in the height of the popularity of the LHS's existence. (well, except when we could get to a Squadron Shop)
Unread May 5th, 2017, 01:29 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

There's a great HTUSA walking distance from my house that I'll get supplies and some kits from. However, Sprue Bros is my main source. You can NEVER go wrong w/them.
Unread May 12th, 2017, 05:06 PM

I use eBay for most of my kits. I find great deals all the time and when I don't see good deals I hold out and watch items until I think the seller is motivated to move the item. 9 out of 10 times I can land a kit for what I deem a fair price.