Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Jets

Notices

Old October 8th, 2016, 07:38 PM

Default The New Tamiya F-14

Hi All:

Tamiya has proven that they can shrink their 1/32 to 1/48. Yeah! What's the big deal about that? No flaps, slats, kneeling nose gear? Are you friggen kidding me? Get with the damn program! I am not impressed at all! I will take the Hase kit any time...

Stephen C.
"Spaz"
Intruder500
ANY WEATHER!
ANY TIME!

Old October 9th, 2016, 05:01 AM
Fox Mulder's Soul brother

The only advantage is it just flies together...
See Drewe's flightline post
Roll on AMK... due December. .. full meal deal. ..

Last edited by Phantomdriver; October 10th, 2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old October 9th, 2016, 01:49 PM

I started my kit yesterday and after only 2 hours I'm a little more that half way done with the construction. Everything fits like a dream. This kit makes the Tamiya F-16 seem like a kit of the past.
I'll post photos soon.
Old October 9th, 2016, 01:49 PM

I started my kit yesterday and after only 2 hours I'm a little more that half way done with the construction. Everything fits like a dream. This kit makes the Tamiya F-16 seem like a kit of the past.
I'll post photos soon.
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:31 PM

This kit has nothing in connection to the 1/32 kit. It's a completely new design and it is THE cutting edge of plastic model kits. It doesn't have all the options and open stuff but to be honest, for me personally the lack of all that is what I've been hoping for. An incredibly accurate shape, easy and precise construction. Neither Hasegawa or Hobby Boss got the flaps/slats correct...

I am waiting for a release that allows you to build a post 1977 jet and at that time, I will replace all my Hasegawa Tomcats with this (and the AMK F-14D kit) Tamiya - please give us standard wheels, rudder braces molded in, a TCS pod, and NACA vent options!

Really the only nitpick gripe I have is that the glove vane position lights are mis-shaped. It looks like they copied the Hobby Boss shape. Or copied a picture of the real thing that has part of the light painted over.

I can understand the desire to have everything open, and wouldn't be surprised if Tamiya came out with an additional sprue for a later boxing...

This kit is a life long Tomcat Modelers dream!
Brian
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi84 View Post
I'll post photos soon.
constructed but not painted right... I been going 10 hrs a day since Wed morning and I'm about 2/3 the way done. I still have to put sub-assemblies where they go and then paint and decals....just my opinion but this kit makes any kit even ones released last month a thing of the past...
Old October 11th, 2016, 11:04 AM
ZOMG! I HAVE THE POWER!!

If you're unaware of what the big deal is, you're probably better sticking to the Hasegawa kit.

It is simply the best 1/48th scale kit of ANY subject I have *EVER* built. It is stupendous. That it represents how a Tomcat looks 95% of the time (no fucking slats and flaps deployed or extraneous shit like a kneeling landing gear - why include that if you aren't providing slats and flaps?) and, wonder of wonders, no friggin' airbrakes to try and make look right retracted! Is just icing. You're not impressed because you haven't experienced it, simple as that.
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Slacker Action

I haven't started mine yet, but I've spent a good deal of time just looking at the parts on the frames. This is sone of the prettiest plastic I have ever seen. Hands down. It's just impressive. The engineering of the parts. The surface finish. The fasteners. It is just impressive. So much do, I'm not starting mine till my new Xuron cutters arrive!
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:40 PM
If it ain't Boeing...

I walked into my LHS to by a can of paint & walked out w/the cat. The hardest part will be deciding if I want VF-2 or 84.