Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Choppers

Notices

Unread February 10th, 2013, 04:35 PM
S/F not just a saying

Dave,

If those profile pics are correct with regard to the landing gear and side steps they will not work with the current release of either Gallery kit or the Revell kit w/o the Cobra Company update (one should get that anyway) but OOB it would not work.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread February 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Tun Tavern 1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
Dave,

If those profile pics are correct with regard to the landing gear and side steps they will not work with the current release of either Gallery kit or the Revell kit w/o the Cobra Company update (one should get that anyway) but OOB it would not work.
Appropriate modeling notes will be provided in the instruction sheets.
Unread February 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
Thanks bro. Your Monogram kit type posts are my guide.

Had some time to mess around with the kit.

Looking at the tail, there is a number of spots where you add pe that should be drilled out. There is some raised detail but I think it is too proud and should be filed down a little bit. The plastic is soft, so don't get carried away with sanding.

If you look at the rectangle on the tail, you need to drill out two additional rectangles as they are not added.

Also missing is a looped wire just above the screen at the elbow of the tail on top.

While we are at the elbow on top. Gallery gives you two sections, the top section that they call out appears to be correct. The lower section seems to covered over with a plate. So either sand off the three raised sides completely or sand a little bit and add a some thin plastic as a cover.

Still have to do the small rectangles at the base of the tail.
Good catch Tank. I've looked at as many H-34 pics as I could find and see that the loop is present on all the UH-34Ds. As far as I can tell, looks like it's marked "Handgrip." They also have a second loop handhold farther up the tail, about halfway between the horizontal stab and the uper gear housing. It's hard to tell if all the variants have these but looks like all the military ones do.
Unread February 10th, 2013, 05:25 PM
S/F not just a saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iv198 View Post
Good catch Tank. I've looked at as many H-34 pics as I could find and see that the loop is present on all the UH-34Ds. As far as I can tell, looks like it's marked "Handgrip." They also have a second loop handhold farther up the tail, about halfway between the horizontal stab and the uper gear housing. It's hard to tell if all the variants have these but looks like all the military ones do.
Thanks for keep me honest. I saw the second on top of the stab but forgot to mention it. Looking at Lundh's book ever photo that you could pick it out it appeared that there was two loops.
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Unread February 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM

And here I was thinking this was the best helo release ever.

Yeah, I also am not a big fan that they didn't leave the screen areas open. As well, the transmission shroud is all wrong. Hopefully someone will come out with a resin fix for it.
Unread February 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM

Default Details

Some details for those who are so inclined. More to follow. Enjoy

Gary

http://s114.beta.photobucket.com/use...S-58%20details
Unread February 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM

Default Nice

Dave,

I like the early Vietnam schemes. I may do some of the colorful birds during the HMR L days as well as some later Vietnam birds.

S/F
Unread March 2nd, 2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGOne View Post
There have been several items pointed out regarding this kit. there are a couple that I would like to add.

For example why would you give a folding tail option when the is not option to fold the rotors. Rotors are always folded before the tail to conserve space.

Did anyone notice that the Single low exhaust pipe is on the sprue with the right door for the 3 stack high exhaust and vice versa.

The sprue with the tripod landing gear comes with the half round kick steps. Is there a sprue with the bent leg and square kick steps? If not why molded this way.

What are all the extra belts on the second PE fret for 3-4 , 56 78 9-11, 10-12? could those be straps for the missing stretchers we were supposed to get in both kits?

Part number L2 is the float bag used under the tail of the VH-34 but there is no web or strapping detail.

All things considered I like the kit a lot it has great potential. I saw one post that the Navy Bird was wrong because the window in the sliding door was in the center not the left edge. and the lack of ASW gear. If the Bird is an SH-34J that is correct if it was a UH-34J it looks just like the Marine bird. I n my opinion Gallery/Trumpeter/Hobby Boss whoever actually produced the kit was in a hurry to get this kit to market and skipped some details. It appears that we may see several reboxings with different decals. The decals by the way are by far the biggest disappointment. As Tank pointed out none of them is correct. I will have more on this latter.

Aloha

Gary
Hi Gary, I know I'm reviving an ancient thread, but people may still stumble over it when searching for info regarding HSS-1's / H-34's / S-58's.

On the H-34 the tail folds before the rotor blades. And in any case there are photographs of Dutch SH/UH-34J's that have their tail booms folded but not the rotor blades.

Granted, things may have been different in the U.S. Navy or the Marines but it just shows one can never say that something never happened!

Anyway, thank you very much for your assistance with my query on ARC!

Cheers,
Erik B.
Unread April 16th, 2017, 10:13 PM

The picture just shows they folded the tail to make room.

The tail is very quick to fold and requires 2 guys, the main rotor fold requires 5 guys at a minimum.

You need the main blades folded first, there is not enough room to get the blades inside the tail after.

And yes I know what I am talking about...
H.