Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums  

Go Back   Zone-Five Aircraft Modeling Forums > Modeling Forums > Jets

Notices

Old July 20th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Triple Threat

Default 1/48 Hasegawa LE (A4D-2) A-4B Skyhawk help

Hey, gents,

#1 I find myself in need of some good cockpit photo pics, of which I have not located on Chrome at least Limited Edition. I know it*was a simple design for the growing jet community but I want to start on my two Hasegegawa LE 1/48 AD-2 purchased as the years keep flying by.

Good cockpit pits are of need or very good explanations of what went where. Would I be use a left over Aires tub, sidewall & glare shield to get it looking the part? I could use the Eduard p/e to go or it.

#2 is are there any decent USMC decals for this gem other than MAW - Decals VMA-533? I don't like to paint the main markings. i use AOA stencils for the rest. I've not quite mastered printed decals on my Cannon Ink Jet printer. As always, gents, those of you that respond are highly appreciated & good to go as we used to tell are our recruits sumtimes as a sign of sincere approval at Parris Island when I was a Drill Instructor there. So, you get a good to go in advance!

Semper Fi.

Master Guns*

Retired US Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant (E-9) with 30 years of service.
Old July 21st, 2018, 08:59 AM
S/F not just a saying

Master Guns,

Confused by point 2, all the markings appear on the sheet. Impact (OOP) has a 225 B bird.

HTH
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old July 21st, 2018, 01:34 PM
Accidental Cag...........and Jarhead

Also, in addition to the USMC Ginter book you mentioned on another site that you had on order, you may want to think about another.

The detailed photos, including cockpit shots, are in the USN editions of Ginter's Skyhawk books, not so much in the USMC. That is because of the way that Steve splits up things to fit when he has to do multiple books on a subject.

So you want A-4A/B in USN service for all of that technical info and detail photos.
Old July 21st, 2018, 01:48 PM

here's the Impact sheet being sold

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IP48005

I have to admit, I first thought "what is the problem, Scooter decals are all over the place"

Then I went and took a look at some decal sites,,,,and realized that for the A4D-2/A-4B, in 1/48 scale, all but the Impact sheet that Tank mentioned are for the "other US Naval Air Service" (and even then, the VMA-225 bird is from a time when attached to a Carrier Air Group on a Carrier deployment)
Old July 21st, 2018, 01:52 PM
Triple Threat

Great insight here. I have all his Skyhawk books A-F in Naval Service. Didn't think to look in my Naval A-b book yet. Gotta finda after the great flood of my basement that ruined everything under a certian water BSL. Not all my books are simply for modeling reference, but when the one's i do have don't have what I'm looking for then I have to turn to the forums for help since my dad who flew for the Corps for 30 years is about off his rocker by now can't rememeber combat actions of showing of force in various operatiions other than war when they were loaded & prepared to use the ordnance in anger. That's how I like to depict my my models & I like to get the airframes & loadout as accurate as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexinTN View Post
Also, in addition to the USMC Ginter book you mentioned on another site that you had on order, you may want to think about another.

The detailed photos, including cockpit shots, are in the USN editions of Ginter's Skyhawk books, not so much in the USMC. That is because of the way that Steve splits up things to fit when he has to do multiple books on a subject.

So you want A-4A/B in USN service for all of that technical info and detail photos.

Old July 21st, 2018, 01:56 PM
Triple Threat

Yes, just found them on eBay but still only for VMA-224 carrier det. Spares might be the faster way fore me to realize this build.
Quote:
here's the Impact sheet being sold

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/IP48005

I have to admit, I first thought "what is the problem, Scooter decals are all over the place"

Then I went and took a look at some decal sites,,,,and realized that for the A4D-2/A-4B, in 1/48 scale, all but the Impact sheet that Tank mentioned are for the "other US Naval Air Service" (and even then, the VMA-225 bird is from a time when attached to a Carrier Air Group on a Carrier deployment)

Old July 21st, 2018, 02:21 PM
Triple Threat

It's VMA-224 Bengals I ultimately want finishised, Just stating that I too keen on the VMA-225 markings they had for that era in time. wan't to have to paint what I really want from that era which happens to be VMA-224. The green striped tailed prolly aren't so difficult to paint but I'm just a tad bit apprehensive at present to try or make decals at home. I've got all the materials jut never tried it. Other than that I would be using AOA Skyhawk particular decal sheet. I've rarely used the decals that come in the box. I've got a box full of factory decals collecting dust that will prolly never see the light of day again. Thank you!

Semper Fi,
Masterguns

Old July 21st, 2018, 02:51 PM
S/F not just a saying

If you want 224. I would get MAW decal sheet 48-15 Hard Corps Scooter. You can make an A-4C with those markings. Other wise uses those and add B serial numbers and paint the green strips.

HTH
The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Old July 21st, 2018, 03:32 PM

here's a shop showing those decals in stock

http://www.flightdecs.ca/A_maw_48.htm

and here's a review showing the profile for WK-6, an A-4C

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/revie...reviewkb_1.htm

The style of the WK on the tail didn't change that much from the A4D-1 days to the A-4C time period.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 05:07 PM
Triple Threat

Very well, but thanks for your help. I've had MAW Hard Corps Scooter 1 & 2. The problem is there are barely any componie's making them.
Quote:
here's a shop showing those decals in stock

and here's a review showing the profile for WK-6, an A-4C.

/////////////////////'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Vurl]http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/decals/maw48015reviewkb_1.htm[/of the WK on the tail didn't change that much from the A4D-1 days to the A-4C time period.

Old July 22nd, 2018, 06:28 PM
Triple Threat

Very well, but thanks for your help. I've had MAW Hard Corps Scooter 1 & 2. The problem is there are barely any companie's making the -B model in massse. I've still yet to filter through about 20 books to check for smidgens of Skyhawk sightingings but I don't think -224 dropped bombs or shot thier cannons in anger unless it was duing the RoCAF brush fire war/OOTW Except flying the boat in '72. Either way it my dad flew for later & I like the tail markins on the -B.

Semper Fi,
Masterguns

{UOTE=RexinTN;323404] here's a shop showing those decals in stock

and here's a review showing the profile for WK-6, an A-4C.

Last edited by MSgt; July 22nd, 2018 at 06:41 PM.